Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

hey people,

im just wondering, is there an easy way to estimate my CGT when selling a property ? sorry for the newbie question

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Yes , but be careful CGT and trading tax are 2 different things. if you made a profit on a property of say $90,000 and had to pay CGT you get a 50% disscount . So therefore you only pay tax on $45,000 at your normal tax rate. If you are taxed at the hightest rate you would have to pay 48.5 cents in the dollar . So there fore in this case it would be a total tax bill of $21,825 .
    But if you develope a property and sell it straight away you dont get a 50% disscount , because you are concidered a trader of property , so in this case you would have to pay $43650 tax.
    Does this make any sense to you? Im not the best at putting things into words.

Cheers Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

yep understood but how does the tax office determine who is a property trader and regular developer ?

i dont like paying tax so i would try and save that tax money

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

If you keep property for a certain amount of time before selling it usally a year is about the standard. How ever if it is your place were you live you dont have to pay tax as far as I know. But if you lived in a house divided it and built lets say another property on it then sold it you would be a trader of property. If you kept the property for say 1 year and rented it out then you would only have to pay CGT.
    But it is a little grey area if you just keep fliping property every year you could be considered a trader.
    Just like the stock market day traders pay normal tax rates , but people that buy and hope , once they sell only pay CGT.
    Cheers Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of ysarysar
    @ysar

So Rick if I understand correctly- if you want the CGT 50% discount on properties you have developed yourself you may have to keep them and rent them out for a while? ??12months??….sorry I am a bit slow when it comes to tax issues!![biggrin]

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

im a little slow too [blush2] but i think that sounds about right

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

of second importance is GST. if you build and sell you need to register and lose a further 10% of your profits. it pays not to be a developer!

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Ausprop,

I take it thats if your considered to be in thebusiness of doing it regularly (i.e a Trader)? Not for 1 or 2?

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.