All Topics / Value Adding / HIA CONTRACT QUESTION

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MIKALAMIKALA
    @mikala

Can anyone assist with info – 1st time building IP – We were put onto a builder who had hold on land we wanted and agreed to build through him. At this time we were told the land was registered (should have checked I know) as it turned out it was not but were told by builder (who was on the spot and we were in Sydney)that it would be soon so we signed land and HIA building contracts in July 2004 and paid half the deposit on the building contract at that time. Land did not register until Dec 2004 at which time builder said it was too late to start prior to Xmas and holiday time. The construction commenced Jan 2005.
    We believed it to be a fixed price contract (but looks like it isn’t – have learnt my lesson – will have it checked out by lawyer next time!))and house is now completed – we arranged for final payment from the lenders loan amount leaving only the variations we had done to pay for from our own finances.We had only verbal agreements for these costs – nothing signed – bottom line he has sent invoice through for the agreed quoted costs but he has now added 12% margin with 10%GST on top which has added substantially to the total. He rang me prior to faxing this through and during the conversation said that he had inflated it to cover his costs however that he was really entitled to invoice us for double the amount he is asking for as there is a clause in the contract which allows him to do this.He said we could check this with HIA – something to do with delay in having land available for building to start – this delay then meaning he had higher building costs and that he could pass something like 9% of the contract price onto us. He said that he had never done this with previous similar situations and didn’t want to do it now but I think he was effectively waving the “big stick” – pay or else this is what I will do.
    When we signed the building contract there was nothing else attached except for the building schedule and attachments detailing prime cost and finishes included.
    After phone call rushed home to scour contract and came across “The contract price is subject to change. The clauses that allow for changes to contract price are clauses 9,10,11,13,15,16,19,20,21 and 22.”
    We have been naive haven’t we to say the least ? – Can anyone tell me what these clauses mean as we did not receive any contract information statement in Annexure 2 (which is referred to later in the contract)and didn’t sign anything else.
    Do we have a out anywhere to avoid paying the 9% on contract price if builder decides to do this ?
    Should we just take it as lesson learnt and pay the invoice he has sent ? Can he then later hit us for further payment or do we ask for a signed statement prior to payment stating that it is in full settlement of the contract siigned and dated between us in July 2004 ?
    There is just one more complication and that is that we have tenants ready to move in next week and I think that the property managers have made him aware of this..
    Any info, insights, advice will be gratefully received…

MIKALA

MIKALA

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

MIKALA
    Contact REBA (08-9282-0843)
    or DOCEP ; to see where you stand, it is more the norm nowadays to have variations of up to 20% in the contracts now as prices of materials keep increasing..

In WA IMHO we get blaise and dont use Solicitors to review contracts for Residential Properties (yet you can be commiting to pay $250-$450k ‘plus interest’), but seem to do so more for Commercial or Industrial??
    REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of MIKALAMIKALA
    @mikala

Thanks for your reply Redwing – at the risk of appearing ignorant, would you tell me who REBA and DOCEP are ? Would they be familiar with Queensland situations ? Although the contract we signed is one issued nationally I believe…

MIKALA

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

DOCEP are Department of Consumer Affairs..you can speak to someone in their property section if you think you have been misled or just to clarify your situation before you proceed further..

It would be my first point of call, I’d PM Michael YARDNEY, Ausprop or one of the Developers from the Forum for a more informed opinion as well..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@mikala

Thanks Redwing,
    Have done as you suggested and will see what Michael has to say…

Regards,

MIKALA

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I don’t have a HIA contract with me at home so I can’t answer about the specific clauses, but will check tommorrow.

But in general….

There is a clause in the standard HIA contract that says that if the you delay the commencement of construction, then there is an escalation in price. Effectively you delayed commencement by not handing over the land in time. I know it wasn’t your fault but building costs are going up about at about 5% per annum and the builder hasa a right to charge more.

See what is specified in your contract becuase 9% increase for your delay seems a bit stiff.

I believe the builder must notify you of his intention to charge this increase in a timely manner – it will be specified in the details of the contract. It is incorrect to do this at the end of teh contract. Check you position with the HIA.

As for charging a markup (12%) plus GST on variations – this is fair and normal practice. We try and get builders to charge a 10% mark up (profit margin) but I know many would charge 20%.

You should request a certificate from the builder that he has given you his final claim so there are no more surprises.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

@mikala

Thanks for your reply Michael,
    Would really appreciate getting more info on the clauses referred to, if not for this time, then for the future – I’m a fast learner.
    The actual markup on the last invoice he gave us as compared to the agreed prices actually works out at 55% more in total – he charged more for the original prices before adding the 12% plus 10% on top of that.

Further developments today – he has agreed to come halfway between his invoice amount and the counter offer I made to him last Friday, so we have agreed to pay. We really cannot afford to have the tenants out on the street- they had already given notice where they were before. However I asked for a statement from the builder saying that this payment would be in full settlement of both the variations and the contract but he said he would just send an adjusted invoice.
    We do not seem to have a choice at this late stage unless you can find something in the clauses of the information statement which would make a difference to our approach.

Thanks again…

MIKALA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.