All Topics / General Property / First Successful Real Estate Deal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of winwinbusinessdealswinwinbusinessdeals
    @winwinbusinessdeals

Hi Everyone

Im excited to have learned Steve’s techniques and already finding a few positive cashflow properties in my searches

I want to contribute so Im posting details of my first successful deal so far

Back in june 04 a family friend informed us of a duplex 2 bedroom property next to hers that was being sold due to the death of the owner

It was in balga, WA, so in an area that some might consider less than desirable (but its improving a fair bit now )

The duplex was selling for between 109,000-119,000, and it was fairly ugly. All genuine 60s decor, like the mouse-crap infested kitchen cabinets, the hideously ugly, mouse-crap infested shelves, and the udly bathroom with a mould ridden wall, leaking shower ( into the walls ) and just dirty walls and cracked ceilings. Did I mention mouse-crap in every shelf and space :)

The previous potential buyer took out a building report, and the report came in at about $10,000 for the fixup costs. About the only good thing about the place was that it had new lino floors put in everywhere.

The duplex was on a 375 m2 block and in a good street in balga. It was about 1min walk to the shops, doctor surgery, and 15m to the bus stop. 15min from the perth CBD, so a quite good location

Perth is actually the cheapest average housing price city in australia, ( I found out in my research ) and I found out that Perth was apparently the 2nd fastest growing city. This information, plus the capital growth statistics for the suburb of balga ( thanks to reiwa.com.au ) mentioned that it moved up 19.7% or so from the 5 yr period of 98-03

I remembered about the whole thing about knowing comp prices, so I found out two renovated duplexes like mine were sold in Jan 04 at about $120,000 each. I was hemming and hawing but finally I jumped in and bought at the lowest offer of $109,000

After putting $1,000 deposit down, I tried to extend closing date by two weeks and was successful. At the time my finance was approved, and I was quite lucky as it was an all cash job and I only provided a letter of employment

For a couple of months I didnt do much work to the property, but eventually with family help we started to do bit by bit. We had to paint all the walls and ceilling, fix up the cracks, and get a tiler to completely renovate the bathroom. I bought a 2nd hand kitchen ( mistake ) for $2,500, and had a renovator install it for a few thousand. I was quite lucky in that I found a brand new electric oven, and had a cheap reno guy at $35 an hr. The bathroom cost me just over $2,000 to do up, and the kitchen about $4,000-$6,000. We used paint was lying about, and most materials we tried to get second hand or on discount or sale.

To cut a long one short, the property is now worth around the $180,000 mark so we did qutie nicely with an approx. $70,000 increase in value with about $10,000 worth of work

The prices have shot up in that timespace anyway but the reno’s helped a lot

To summarize I learnt a whole ton of lessons I could not from books, including:-

NEVER get emotional about putting a low offer in. My mum started with $114,000, until I changed it to $109,000 by NOT worrying about what the agent would think ( A $5,000 waste of money! )

Get others to renovate for you, and focus on either managing the project or getting other deals

Look at comps, and research data to get a good idea of the return

Joint-venture if you dont have the equity or money etc. I only put down $300 of the $1000 deposit and got access to security via the joint venture

And play cashflow 101 and 202 to cement in steve’s positive cashflow philosophy

Also, a great source of building materials and various furnishings is the classifieds, and building salvage shops. I bought a whole set of vertical blinds for under $100 for example

Try and get good deals with tradespeople by paying cash and working with people you know, try not to pay retail as you will pay a lot more

With Steve’s methods I’ve already found some deals with about 50-70 per wk cashflow, but in very small towns. Anyone have any advice on these sort of investments? One of them has a 12 mth tenant lease, but im not sure about the possible vacancy problem

What the mainstream media don’t cover
    http://www.prisonplanet.tv

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

hi WWBD..

Congratulations..

I take it this property is now an investment property for your family?

How small are the townsyou are talking about as vacancies can be a problem in many areas, but stick with what you’re doing sofar and research before you jump in..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of winwinbusinessdealswinwinbusinessdeals
    @winwinbusinessdeals

Hi Redwing

Im living in this property at the moment

The towns i am looking at have a population of 2000, so I am not sure

But some of the returns in these towns are so good i am tempted

Pete

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Pete,

Well done. Nice post. Amazing how much of the learning is in the details, that even the best books only skim over. Practical learning and dealing with humans face to face negotiating deals and services….there really is no substitute for the real world thing is there. Getting out from behind the internet and book facade and mixing it with real live people is where it’s at.

Had a laugh at the “good street in Balga”. As long as it makes money for you right – good one. I consider all of them to be just ‘boxes on dirt’…even the flash ones. Just depends on the quality of the dirt and the finish on the box – right ??

Looks like you are on your way, keep it going.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by winwinbusinessdeals:

Hi Redwing

Im living in this property at the moment Does this mean you loose your FHOG ability then if you have shared equity in the property?

The towns i am looking at have a population of 2000, so I am not sure
    You can research these towns by contacting the local shire , searching the web etc look at population growth or decline, economic trends etc.
    IMHO though a town of 2000 limits your tenant base.
    Out of those 2000 how many own/rent or are of age to own/rent..how big is your tenant pool..all things to consider

But some of the returns in these towns are so good i am tempted
    I know what you mean [biggrin] i’ve been tempted more than once and even drove to Collie about a year or more ago and spent the day with an agent looking at properties.
    I wouldn’t have been comfortable holding a property there though and ‘many’ needed work. There are plans for a new power station there now and it may have been a good investment, but didn’t fit my strategy or risk profile..

The further you go from the CBD the lower the entry costs and the greater the rental return, but in most cases you sacrifice Capital Growth..unless there’s a boom..

I dont like one horse towns, just in case the horse gets up and leaves

Pete

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of winwinbusinessdealswinwinbusinessdeals
    @winwinbusinessdeals

Thanks dazzling

I couldnt agree more with getting out there and hitting the pavement. I learnt more from that one transaction than I could from reading 10 top-notch real estate books.

One awesome quote that is my favourite is that
    ” You dont have to get it right, you just have to get it going. “

Isnt it a nice reminder that we dont need things to be perfect before we take action ? :)

Funny you mentioned boxes on dirt, because Im looking at ways to build ” cheap boxes ” on dirt that are rentable, to make building positve cashflow, so far ive seen some interesting methods including strawbale houses, log homes, and other alternative materials. Of course the labour is the killer but with some smart moves Im sure you could save a huge amount ( since builders have like a 40% profit margin apparently! )

I did lose my FHOG but i thought that i might as well use it, since it prob wont be around forever

There must be so many towns out there that have good properties that are missed on the normal real estate websites etc. I will have to get a good way to research

Cheers

Peter

Profile photo of newmo56newmo56
    @newmo56

I wouldn’t say you lost your FHOG if you actually used it. I think it was the comment about your “Joint-venture i.e. I only put down $300 of the $1000 deposit and got access to security via the joint venture”
    By bringing someone else in on the deal you may not have been eligible to use the FHOG anymore. If you were still able to use it then good for you.
    newmo.
    PS. Hope you got rid of the mice!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.