All Topics / General Property / How and what to invest in at this time

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

I know there are learned Property and Shares people on the forum so i just have to ask.

My daughter has been working for about two and half years. In this time she has saved approx $150 a week. She still lives at home and is 19.

She has about $15000 saved up which is sitting in a normal savings bank account you know the ones .1% interest.

She has asked me about investing this money and im not quite sure how to guide her.

She feels she is not quite ready to go into property but she is interested. She would like to accelerate her savings growth.

I have mentioned managed funds to her. Some friends told her they dont get a good return and they can lose money and there are alot of fees.

She has suggested just investing and spreading it in 2 or 3 companies.

I have read somewhere you can invest in the index and there are different ones. Not sure.

So i guess i am asking if some of you experienced people could suggest or give your opinion on what she should do.

I would say reasonable return with low risk would be her comfort level. She wants to position herself to go into property down the track and mean while get a better return.

Cheers
    SG

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

If she is able to ave $150 per week then I still thionk n investment property is worth considering. Look to a market like Melbourne or Brisbane. Both martkets have slown down and there are some reasonable buys around. Talk to a broker see what she can comfortably afford then start your research. If you are looking at apartment try and look at an older style.
    It also annoys me that the first home buyer grant cannot be used for investment. If we can encourage young people to purchase making there long term dream of property ownership more realistic why not give them the first home buyers grant

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Buyers advocate
    service and seminars

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Stargazer,

Hi What a daughter: one who saves $150 pw ( I have two kids: a son almost 21 and a great saver who will be settleing on his 2 nd. IP in a couple of weeks, and a 18 yo daughter who finds its very difficult to save a dollar(too many clubs to see).

I would recommend that your daughter do the following:

1. Deposit her savings into Macquarie. ING for better interest approx 5%. then

2. Get a copy of Robert Kiosaki “Rich Dad Poor Dad” to start her education (you could get a loan copy from your local libary for free),

and take it from there. Goodluck.

hrm

Profile photo of TechnoTechno
    @techno

Hi Stargazer,

Ask her to consider depositing the money into BankWest’s internet savings a/c for 6% p.a.

This is what my son does with his money ($25,000) until I teach him about shares when he is old enough.

This is probably a risk free return if she wants to avoid risk of losing money.

Investing into shares without any adequate knowledge can be high risk (I invest substantially in shares but I have lots of experience and tertiary education and I have made a lot of money from shares).

Residential property in Sydney is clearly trending down. Looks to be so in Melbourne as well. Perth is still doing well due to the mining boom but the upturn there started later in the cycle as well.

Your daughter is young. There is plenty of time for her to learn about investments before she ties up her money into any particular assets. Encourage her to learn about investments.

There are many books in the library or bookstore to learn from. If she is interested in further studies, she can learn about shares from The Securities Institute of Australia.

Regards.

Profile photo of TechnoTechno
    @techno

Hi Stargazer,

Ask your daughter whether she would like to read the following about the best investor the world has ever seen:

“Warren Edward Buffett was born on 30 August 1930. He jokingly says that he was conceived during the fall of the 1929 stock market crash because his stockbroker father had so little to do then.

At the age of six, he purchased a six-pack of Coke bottles for 25 cents and sold them for a nickel each, setting a lifelong benchmark of a 20% investment return. Fifty years later, his company became the largest shareholder of Coca Cola.

By age eight, he read books about business. By age ten, he checked out every book from the local Omaha library about investing, finance and the stock market.

At eleven years old, he bought his first 3 shares in a company at $38 per share. The price soon fell to $27, but not long after, went to $40. Warren sold but learned an important and early lesson when the price of that share rose to over $200 each. This first experience of selling based on price instead of value would form a cornerstone in his investment philosophy.

At fourteen, Warren was making $175 a month delivering the Washington Post. Later, his company became the largest shareholder of Washington Post.

He finished high school at age sixteen and had a self made net worth of $6,000. He had already read 100 business books.

Warren graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the University of Nebraska at the age of nineteen.

At 21, he graduated with a Masters in Economics from Columbia University where he was taught by Benjamin Graham, an important mentor for the young Buffett.
    At the age of 21, Buffett discovered that his mentor, Graham, was Chairman of GEICO insurance. Buffett instinctively knew he had to learn more about it.

He took the train to Washington to learn from a GEICO executive working on a Saturday and repeated the visits for some time. Buffett invested all of his net worth $10,282 at the time, into GEICO. This experience would also help him understand the company that he would one day own in its entirety.

Upon graduation, Buffett worked with his father as a stockbroker and taught a night class (called Investment Principles) at the University of Omaha.

At 24, he was offered employment by Graham in New York. Two years later, Graham retired and Buffett returned to Omaha to launch a home based investment partnership. His net worth was now $140,000.

At 27, he bought his 5 bedroom house in Omaha, for $31,500. This was 10% of his net worth. He still lives in the same house today.

By age 30, he became a millionaire. During the 13 years that he managed the partnership, the average annual return was 29.5% p.a.
    In 1962, Buffett began buying shares in a textile manufacturing firm called Berkshire Hathaway, based in New Bedford, Massachusetts, for $7 a share, which was a substantial discount to its $17 book value. A year later, the Buffett partnership was its largest shareholder.

Apparently, Buffett later calls this investment to be a mistake. He took control of the company in 1965 and closed it some 20 years later because he was unable to sustain the textile business against cheaper foreign companies.

In 1969, following his most successful year, Buffett closed the partnership and liquidated the $900 million portfolio to its partners because he felt that he could no longer find excellent value investments in a runaway bull market.

At 39, his net worth was $25 million and he owned almost 50% of Berkshire. He then became Chairman of Berkshire and began operating within a publicly traded corporation.

Under a partnership, he selected the partners he wanted. With a public company, other shareholders selected him and he wanted to have the right ones select and the right ones to stay. He does this by communications through his annual letter to shareholders.

Buffett became a billionaire at 56.

With a 29.55% average annual return for 13 years with the previous Buffett partnership and a 22.6% average annual return with Berkshire over 38 years compared to 11% p.a. for the S & P 500, there is no close second place to Buffett’s investment record.

USD10,000 invested in Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett’s company) in 1964 is now worth USD30 million.”

Regards.

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

I’m with Techno and others about the online internet bank account. Obviously Bankwest is ahead with 6%. The other thing she should consider doing is to salary sacrifice $1000 towards super if she is a low income earner as the govt matches $1500. She can’t touch that money, but considering that over the rest of her life with compounding, you can’t go wrong!

Profile photo of cinemattcinematt
    Participant
    @cinematt

Hi there,
    I have money in both ING and easystreet (no complaints) and was interested to hear about bankwest’s rate of 6%. I just went to the bankwest site to find which acct and couldn’t find it. Can you please point me in the right direction? The highest rate I’ve found is with easystreet.com,au at 5.65%
    Matt

Profile photo of DirtCheapDirtCheap
    @dirtcheap

Bank West 6% info here:
    http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/TeleNet_Saver/index.asp

Rate is INTRODUCTORY.
    Standard rate is 5.25%

Profile photo of DIY InvestingDIY Investing
    @diy-investing

Hi Stargazer,

Your daughter can do much better than earning 0.1% bank account interest.

She could consider one of the many e-accounts already mentioned or a Cash Management Trust. Either way, she will earn much more income than if she left her money in the bank.

Your daughter can use one of these higher interest paying accounts until she makes her first investment.

DIY Investing
    Discounted Financial Products
    http://www.diyinvesting.com.au

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

be careful of just jumping on the back of a couple of share companies. They could easily drop in value in the short term. This could send a negative reaction your daughters way. It would be a gamble.

I would suggest a 5% savings account too, and some self education via books to open her eyes to different strategies and the risks and rewards of investing.

Personally I like property as a starter. It has great leverage from the banks and helps investing confidence when you are able to say at a young age that you have property.

Maybe start researching an area. Look for a property that she could add value too, with a bit of paint and a clean-up. Might just make an easy 10 thousand or so in equity.

15 grand will just about get a $100,000 house. Spend another $10,000 on paint and new carpet and a general spruce up and the bank may just value it at $125,000.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Heck, with an extra $12,ooo from the government (vic), she could buy her own place. Just live in it for 6 months, then rent it out. Thats $27,000 as a deposit.

Nothing stopping her getting some friends in to rent the other rooms. Perfect time frame to do a part time reno.

All legit.

Good luck.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

Thankyou all very much for taking the time to reply.

She is not one to sit down and read on this sort of thing at this stage and expects me to arrange things for her.

As much as i am trying to encourage her to do so.

I feel knowing her at this stage a deposit into a higher interest bearing account may be the way at this stage.

Property can deliver negative experiences and perhaps she is not ready at this stage.

Cheers
    SG

Profile photo of Endless SummerEndless Summer
    @endless-summer

Great post Techno.

Stargazer, sounds like a higher earning account (or term depost) is a great start.

I’s also suggest you visit a large book store and look through the investment section. Even though you say she would not sit and read there are books written specifically for women and have been printed with ‘hip’ looking covers which may attract her attention.

just a thought.

Profile photo of Endless SummerEndless Summer
    @endless-summer

Great post Techno.

Stargazer, sounds like a higher earning account (or term depost) is a great start.

I’s also suggest you visit a large book store and look through the investment section. Even though you say she would not sit and read there are books written specifically for women and have been printed with ‘hip’ looking covers which may attract her attention.

just a thought.

Profile photo of aussiexjaussiexj
    Participant
    @aussiexj

You get sucked into those investment books and find them hard to put down. I’m with the others, invest in education; books and night course at TAFE or a part time business degree. She can turn this start into something that she (and you, perhaps)can’t even imagine. You know her best though and she has to be ready. Invest in education, saving won’t do it for her in the long run.

AXJ

Profile photo of cama20cama20
    Participant
    @cama20

I am a young invester at age 22. I developed an interest in investing when i was about 20 when i learnt about one of my friends making $1000 in the stock market.
    I then started out like most people have mentioned here, i got an ING account then a Bank West one and then a managed fund. I started reading most of the books mentioned here, the best of which was Rich Dad Poor Dad. I have now been dealing in shares for 12 months and developed about $20,000 worth and am just about to enter into my first property.
    I have done all of this while a student on only $25,000 a year and renting.
    Dont underestimate financial knowledge i feel that the knowledge of others and that in which you can get from books is all you need to suceed.

So i guess that i agree with everyone else that this is the best way to go about investing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.