All Topics / Help Needed! / Purchase of property – Capital/Non-Capital Costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of HH
    @h

Hi All,
    Need some help here. Are finance costs related to a property purchase considered capital costs and part of the cost of the property? Does this include stamp duty, settlement fees and bank charges?
    Your help is appreciated
    H

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi h

they are considered Capital costs.

regards westan

We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of ysarysar
    @ysar

I have been trying to research this topic through the forums as my 2004-2005 tax return will have implications on some projects coming up next year. I am still confused. In one discussion there was mention of “ACQUISITION COSTS” which are added to the cost base (stamp duty and legal fees) and “BORROWING COSTS” which can be ?depreciated or deducted immediately (loan est fees, mortgage stamp duty, mortgage insurance etc). Does anyone have the definitive lowdown on this tax mess?[blink]

Profile photo of RhysQLDRhysQLD
    Participant
    @rhysqld

H and Ysar,

Borrowing costs relate to stamp duty on your mortgage and fees associated with your loan, application fees etc. These are amortised over 5 years or the life of the loan (whichever is shorter). I believe borrowing costs <$100 can be immediately written off.

Stamp duty on your property is capitalied and added to your cost base for CGT when you sell.

Hope this helps
    Rhys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.