All Topics / General Property / New home builders? Any good ones?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of billwindsorbillwindsor
    Participant
    @billwindsor

Hi

I’m thinking of pulling down my house and want to have a new one built by a reputable builder eg Burbank Homes, Henley Properties, etc
    Can anybody recommend any good reputable ones who can provide a quality build?

Thanks

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by billwindsor:

Hi

I’m thinking of pulling down my house and want to have a new one built by a reputable builder eg Burbank Homes, Henley Properties, etc
    Can anybody recommend any good reputable ones who can provide a quality build?

Thanks

If it is to be your home,you also need to find a design your are a happy with.

Try looking at some of the display villages where you can see the finished product and level of quality from a range of builders.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

I can’t recommend one, but I will say… My wife & I used to clean newly-built homes. I’ve also been through display homes of various other companies and seen the same shoddy workmanship.

Same tradesmen – that’s why. The reason is, most “home builders” contract the work out to other businesses. They don’t build homes – they broker the building of homes. The tiler/painter/plumber is someone you could have hired yourself out of the phone book.

No tradesmen cares much for what he does to another tradesmen’s work. The carpet is laid, the plumber then walks through without removing his mud-covered boots… The cleaner disguises the mess.

I’ve seen homes take longer to replace damaged fittings and fix mistakes, than they took to build in the first place – and the owners were still in tears at the end of it, wanting to sell up.

Here’s just a taste:

1. As bricklayers work, they don’t bother to hose down windows. Excess concete dries on glass. Cleaner has no choice, but to scratch it off with a scraper/razor blade – quickly – since you get paid per house – not per hour. So you get brand new windows with LOTS of scratches. If building is delayed and cleaner is not called in early, concrete actually etches into the glass and is seen forevermore.

2. Plumber fits resin bathtub. Resin tub has a large instruction decal that states something like: “Do NOT use abrasive cleaners such as Jif or Ajax. Use soft cloths, do NOT use scourers. Surface WILL damage.” Plumber then fits taps using hole saw/welder – drops all tools and wall/pipe refuse into bathtub – that he’s standing in – with his boots on – and leaves for cleaner, still 8 weeks away. Electrician comes along to fit IXL Tastic light/heater above bath – stands in bath – ON same refuse – IN boots. Drops wire cutoffs in tub. Tiler arrives – stands in tub on everything in there…

You get the idea, I’m sure – that’s why you’re asking, right? [blink]

Hooray for the super-cleaners – that have access to some advanced products that leave films that hide all sorts of damage from the naked eye. At least until the first few baths are taken, anyway.

Good luck! Hope you find a better one than the company we worked for. Of course, you could just do what they do and contract the work out as you go – and get the same contractors and damage that follows them anyway! [biggrin]

Allan.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    Personally I think it is a different thing building your own home and building someone else’s home (IP). I’m getting an IP built by Devine and so far so good. The price is low and the quality for that price is fairly good (they build so many of the same design they’ve worked out most of the bugs). However I doubt I’d ever engage them to build my own PPOR as I have an appetite for good things. [biggrin]

The main thing you get from a large builder is bulk discount but that also means lack of personal choice. Smaller builders are considerably more expensive, but you get a chance to interact with them more closely (both a good thing and a bad one).

Personally when I build my own home I’m going to be using my wife (building designer) my brother-in-law (builder) and my father-in-law (project manager) and my own research and organisation skills (computer nerd, able to carry things) to get the home I want at a reasonable price. If you do it yourself there are a number of books all about the process so you can choose how much or how little you do and how much you contract out (obviously get a registered plumber and sparky)

Surrey.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.