All Topics / General Property / +CF – What finance terms is this usually based on?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of mtairsmtairs
    @mtairs

Hi all,

First time post but please don’t howl me down for what may seem like a silly question.

When is a IP truely +CF – now I know that most will jump straight on board and say “when your rental income exceeds your costs”. Well, what are the finance costs based on as a general rule of thumb?

Should they be 100%, 80% (meaning the other 20% has to come from somewhere – are these funds factored into determining a +CF property)? IO or P&I?

I’ve just finished reading Steve’s book $1M property in a year and I get the impression that he bases things on a 80% P&I loan repayments. If so, is the other 20% ignored for some reason?

Please make things clear for me as I look to restructure my portfolio.

Thanks.

Profile photo of SeeChangeSeeChange
    @seechange

Personally I’d only consider it genuinely Cash flow positive if it’s 100 % finance , including all additional cost , stamp duty , solicitors fees etc.

Though I’m sure many people will have a different opinion. [biggrin]

See Change

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

mtairs,

I’d be calculating it on income minus price + expenses. Simple. If you have a buck in your hand after all of this, then that is your positive cashflow. But you’ll have to pay tax on the buck :)

kay henry

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

I believe that if the annual returns of the property can cover all of the annual expenses then it’s cashflow positive.

I regard acquisition costs as a necessary evil, and dont take this into account regarding positive cashflow.

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

As you can see it’s a matter of opinion, and of emotion. I tend to see change’s view that if you borrowed absolutely everything and still turned a profit it would be CF+. However, the simplest definition is that after everything including tax refunds if you ended up with a dollar, it’s cashflow positive.

I don’t think it’s important, what is more so is how it fits with your strategy and how repeatable the deal is. For YOU.

Best wishes, and welcome.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I think you need to look at two things seperately before considering whether a property is worth holding. Any property can be cashflow positive depending on how much cash you put in at the start. If income exceeds expenses (excluding tax and depreciation), I consider it positive.

I then look at the cash on cash return. If this is good, then the investment is a good one.

As for loan considerations, interest rate movements can make a positive property turn negative and vice versa. This also has to be considered.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.