All Topics / General Property / Why bother owning a PPOR ever again?

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Thanks for all the interesting, thoughtful replies. It is a personal decision as to which way to go, either direction has very valid points.

I suppose you could buy a PPOR first up and have all the benefits of being in your own place, or you could just rent and give your investing a leg-up. Of couse it’s not always so expensive to buy, in comparison to renting, but I’m starting to wonder whether a ‘paradigm shift’ has occured that now renders owning your own place as a luxury. ie- The great Australian dream is now only available to more affluent people and not everyone else aswell?

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I don’t see this paradigm shift…. the ratio of ownership to renting i.e. about 50% of the cost has been static for decades. The arguments have been debated long and hard and in summary it has come down to (a) emotion, and (b) depends what the future holds for capital growth, which no one can be certain about. At the end of the day, if you can deal with rent inspections and being shuffled from home to home, it is possible that renting is financially a better option if you are diligent and can invest in other properties of equal value

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Surely if your pockets are deep enough and your aspirations are low enough you can have your cake and eat it too.

That is, when your deposit for the PPOR is more than significant, greater than say 50%, and your choice of PPOR is not outrageous for your current station in life…you can have both stability and the opportunity to leverage the equity to continue to invest ??

I believe over the past 2 decades however, that young couples aspirations have gone through the roof, but their ability to service the lifestyle has not.

Many couples starting out in the 50’s and 60’s were happy to purchase 2 bedroom fibro tile houses in very average suburbs on normal sized blocks and just take it from there – maybe upgrading their PPOR once or twice, finally reaching the 4 BR 2 BTH brick and tile house stage in their later years…ironically just as their offspring ‘flew the coop’.

However, it’s that younger generation, of which I count myself in, who have been brought up in that relative luxury – who do not want to and frankly, flatly refuse to do the hard yards in those basic accomodation facilities. They cross their arms, stamp their feet and say “If I can’t have the same standards, I don’t want anything.”

Have a look at the average house young couples are buying nowadays…mostly they are way too good and way too expensive, and with 5 or 10% deposit, they’ll go nowhere fast burdened with such crippling NTDD (non-tax deductible debt).

The wife and I rented for the first 3 years of our marriage and managed to purchase 2 investment props. In hindsight I think it was the right thing to do.

The 3rd prop. was our PPOR, of which we had managed to accumulate a 90% deposit. It was a pretty modest house in a very modest area…to the point where older relatives took me aside and said “You know, I believe your wife deserves a better place to live than this.” We both ignored them at the time, gritting our teeth, safe in the knowledge that over the years our situation would change for the better. Nowadays these same relatives cannot believe where we are living and don’t understand how we got there.

Fighting against the tide of mediocrity, and the ingrained belief system it harbours, is one of the hardest things to do.

I think one of the most succinct illustrations of this subject is the cartoon at the very rear of Noel Whittakers “More Money”, which compares two couples. The first couple is renting and living it up on a smooth street, and as time goes by their situation gets worse and worse. The second couple struggle on bikes on a rocky road and eventually get to the smooth road and off they go. That cartoon was the inspiration that pulled us through when the knockers put us down.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of GoldCoastGirlGoldCoastGirl
    @goldcoastgirl

ah.. I did a search and couldn’t come up with anything. There is no glossary of terms as such that I could find… so I have to ask… what does PPOR mean ?

Otherwise I’ve found this an interesting read since I’m a long time renter… and plan to downgrade (rent a smaller/less expensive place) so that I can invest.

I’ve always been curious whether buying my own home then investing or renting and investing … is the “better” deal. I guess it is personal preference in the end.. hence a little “emotional”.

Wishing everyone radiant health!
    Vanessa

4 out of 5 Taste Buds Surveyed Preferred > http://url123.com/wa2ev
    For Australians Only > http://got.to/liveafunlife

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

PPOR translates into principal place of residence. This is the house you live in that you own.

Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

Can you actually live in one of your OWN investment properties and treat it as investment property rather than PPOR? If it works, you will not have the problem with landlords. You get all the expenses deducted from the rent you pay to it?

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

You also lose all capital gains tax benefits. This does not bother me at all.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

@goldcoastgirl

I think it is almost if not totally illegal to live in an investment property as your PPOR… as far as I’m aware. The only way around something like this is if you team up with someone… they buy one property and you rent it out, you buy another property and they rent that one.

I have definately heard of people doing that… there are two houses on the street.. one person buys House A, the other buys House B as IPs… the person who bought House A then lives in House B and vice versa.

:) Wishing everyone radiant health!
    Vanessa

@robbie-b

Hi Vanessa,

It is not illegal at all if you structure the ownership properly. If you buy a home in a company or trust name, you do not own it. You can live in it and rent it from the company or trust. The company or trust then repays the mortgage. The lot is deductible but you will have to pay CGT if you ever sell that home.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi amused,
    I think what you are referring to was what people were doing a year ago or more until the ATO stepped in and quashed it (ie people were buying a PPOR and an IP and using the tax benefits of the IP and applying it to claim back interest repayments on their PPOR?)
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

@goldcoastgirl
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Hi Vanessa,

It is not illegal at all if you structure the ownership properly. If you buy a home in a company or trust name, you do not own it. You can live in it and rent it from the company or trust. The company or trust then repays the mortgage. The lot is deductible but you will have to pay CGT if you ever sell that home.

Hmm…. I just have a problem with it ‘coz even if the company on behalf of the trust owns the property… isn’t there some sort of “conflict of interest” or anything due to you being part of the company and/or trust ?

:) Wishing everyone radiant health!
    Vanessa

Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

Thanks Mortage Adviser. I value your points. The case I said here was real – my friend owns few properties and sold his own (PPOR), and intended to move into another one. I do understand CGT implications. Apart from the company perspective, do you mean you can not treat it as an investment property anymore apart from the time you bought to the time you move in?

@robbie-b

Vanessa, a company and a trust are seperate legal entities. If you die, they continue with someone else at the helm. It does not matter that you control them as they have their own ‘life’. It is like renting from a relative.

Amused, I do not understand your qestion.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of hildawalhildawal
    @hildawal

DELAYED GRATIFICATION!!

You can have your cake and eat it or you can invest in your super plan.
    The best super you can have is the one you manage and watch grow.
    It doesn’t thrill me at all knowing that I have to wait until I retire to get to my super and even then they shift the goal posts on you!!!

Rent is an option but your goals where you want to be need to be considered.

Cheers
    badvlad

V Malanczak

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.