All Topics / Value Adding / qld developments, beginner! Needs a start!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of delboydelboy
    @delboy

Hey All

We have finally made the move from Sydney to Qld, it seems along with everyone else that is up here.

I have driving around getting to know SE QLD for the past few weeks. Dropping in on agents and councils and so on and it seems there are many areas ripe for development up here.

My problem is, I have the finance is place to say purchase a development site and probably fund some of the building. However I don’t have the expereince yet.

Is there any experienced developers out there looking for say a man on the ground up here. Or are the others up here also starting out with experience in other areas i.e. building, estimating so on that we could get together and look at some developments.

I am dead keen and would love to here from anyone. I am actually in a motel at the moment and visiting a few agents tomorrow to discuss some interesting sites.

Talk soon

Delboy[cap]

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

If you’ve never done this sort of thing before be very cautious.

Have a look at the post on the risks of property development in this forum.

Then have a look at Residex’s predictions for the SE Qld unit/ townhouse market for the next 5 years.

They predict NO GROWTH for 5 years, based on the fact that historically every time there has been a boom in Australia of the magnitude that there has been over the last years in Qld, there has been a slump or bust that has lasted at least 5 years.

Maybe its not a good time for a beginner.

If you still wnat to proceed get someone experineced to hold your hand.

Have a chat with Sailesh Channen of Developers Edge –
    http://www.developersedge.com.au/

he may be able to help you.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982
    Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

By the inch it’s a cinch by the yard it’s hard.
    Look before you leap.
    Every investment or business I have been involved in has had the benefit of a business or investment plan.
    Have I made mistakes oh hell yes.
    That’s why I know that failing to plan = planning to fail.
    Perhaps you could consider going in with a small operation first like a Reno.
    Another way to reduce your risk would be to partner up with someone who has the knowledge or skills, only consider how to find them first.
    Remember do your due diligence on all people involved.
    Since you are new to the area you must remember that not only do you not know the area but also you don’t know the trads people in the area either.
    That’s why I suggest doing a comfortable sized Reno first.
    It would put you in touch with some good and bad trads people and guess what the good ones will be able to give you a few contacts of theirs if asked.
    If you need a good plumber just ask your good carpenter etc.
    Hope this helps.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others, you won’t live long enough to make them all yourself” Richard Denny.

Email [email protected].
    Fax 0246482374.
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of Sailesh CSailesh C
    @sailesh-c

Michael, thank you for the referral I will pay you later (joke)

I think your warning about the town house and unit market is right as there is an abundance of such dwellings currently. The vast majority of such dwellings are purchased by investors and if interest rates rise then we could see investors bailing out further weakening this market.

I have also mentioned before that in Brisbane at least it is very difficult to make over 15% return on development capital with town house developments. This assessment is based on several years of researching potential projects. My belief is that currently only land bankers and builders are making reasonable profits from townhouses.

However, it is not all doom and gloom as there are certain types of dwellings that are in constant demand as well as shortages. This is where careful research is required.

I think Delboy has been given some good advice by fellow forum members.

However if you wish to contact me please feel free to call.

Sailesh Channan

http://www.developersedge.com.au

“Helping you select,develop and profit from property”

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    Gee do I detect a hint of distaste for professional property developers?

Anyway. I believe,as with all things, the best way to approach something like this is to research and lay out a plan.

There are, believe it or not, DIY books about building and project managing a property development. They clearly outline everythign that needs doing, who does it, how long it takes and what sort of materials are used. I would (and am going to) start by reading these, by talking to a quantity surveyor + builders to get pricing “ballpark figures”. I would then sketch out what I want and how much I want to pay and what sort of profit. Then I’d work the in between steps to figure out all the various work details. Then, I would make a call as to whether to hire on a dev company or manage it myself and work out how much time / money all that would take. Once I’ve done all that I’d pretty well know if I was going ahead and how I would do it.

If you do things step by step, broken down into the smallest steps, you can do just about anything. There are a number of things in this world that are exchangable:
    Time, money and experience. If you have all the time in the world you don’t need experience or money (you could grow the wood, quary the stone, make the bricks, dig the holes etc…) If you have enough money you don’t need the other two and if you have enough experience, likewise.

You just need to work out what commodity you have the most of and what you would like to use most sparingly and find the mix of the three that achieves your goal.

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by colbert1982:

Wow, its looks like Michael has a new word to use ‘prudent’.

Michael, it is in your best interest to advise people to seek developers advice as it keeps your industry ticking over, as a result, you are not the best person to reply to this topic as you are biased.

One more thing. Tell me how much of your ‘millions of dollars’ worth of building work have turned pear shaped? I know for a fact that you were heavily involved in a job in Patterson Lakes, Victoria that went horribly wrong.

Cant wait to hear the excuses!

Pull your head out! GAF.

Cheers

You are correct – things sometimes go wrong in developments.

Hence my PRUDENCE

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Calling all Moderators – this is dangerously off course and nasty.

Can we get it locked???

Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982
    Profile photo of 50mill50mill
    Participant
    @50mill

Ha Ha Ha Ha

“JER-RY…JER-RY…JER-RY…JER-RY…JER-RY…”

(oops, I thought we were on springer)[biggrin][chill]

Profile photo of Mark GriffithsMark Griffiths
    @mark-griffiths

Delboy,
    I am a project manager for Queensland largest privately owned construction company.I have experience in construction from small residential , multimillion dolloar residential industrial commercial and residential commercial construction. I have worked directly for large developers and seen the potential rewards and the pitfalls that atre involved in thr industry. I am tired of working hard and being put under great stress so that they can reap great profits from a project To that end, I woukld be interested in looking at a project with someone like yourself. Pleas contact me to discuss further Regards Mark Griffiths

Profile photo of MikeJacksonMikeJackson
    @mikejackson

This is what I consider in doing a devolpment first i conduct a thorough analysis of the physical and regulatory characteristics of a site before development begins is essential to the development process. The information
    obtained about the proposed site will inform every stage of the venture. These
    guidelines are most relevant to new construction developments, although some
    of the site information is also relevant to sites with existing buildings.
    The site analysis is important for the following reasons:
    1. It guides the determination of project size, or density
    2. It will determine the best area of the site to locate the buildings, and a
    course of action to protect natural resources and mitigate any negative
    environmental impacts.
    3. A basic physical site assessment will look at the site’s capacity to “carry”
    the type and number of proposed dwelling units, the availability of utilities
    (water, sewer, electricity, gas, roads), and the suitability of the site for an
    on-site septic system if one is necessary.
    4. A site analysis reviews the regulatory and legal limitations to
    development, such as local zoning or deed restrictions.
    5. Thorough information about the site will assist bidders in preparing
    accurate project schedules and development budgets.
    Site conditions commonly identified and analyzed are: steams and water bodies,
    wetlands, slopes, soils, surrounding area, vegetation, and habitat. A wetlands
    consultant may need to be hired to flag, or delineate the wetlands for some sites.
    Similarly, if there is historical information or physical evidence of possible site
    contamination an environmental assessment may be required.
    There are local and state land use regulations that need to be considered as part
    of a determination of site feasibility. These include local zoning regulations that
    outline land use, environmental protection requirements. In some instances, it
    possible to get exemptions from local zoning and other land use regulation,
    however a developer/owner still must comply with state requirements Outlined below are some of the questions that you should be able to answer
    about the site, along with some potential sources of information. There may be a
    great deal of site related information available to you as public information at no
    charge or minimal photocopying charges. Consultants may be hired to prepare a
    site feasibility report to answer these questions, depending on your own technical
    capacity and time availability.

hope this helps

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by colbert1982:

Must be a MASSIVE donkey if it is Comparable with your backside.

Anyway, i am more interested hearing from Mrs Yardley.

Cheers

I don’t understand what you are waiting for.

I repsonded to you yesterday with a private message and explanation showing you that you were wrong and that my building company is a mamber of the HIA and has been for 13 years. I laso offered to discuss the project you thought went wrong. I offered to meet personally so you could speak with me face to face about this issue and the problems you obviously have with me.

I really hoped to show you that I am not so nasty.

I didn’t want to continue a public slinging match as it denegrates the value of this forum and does not help delboy who started this thread and requested advice

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of MikeJacksonMikeJackson
    @mikejackson

Michael Yardney,
    Are you a registered building practitioner with the building commission. I think that is what colbert was asking. With all due respect, Being a member of the HIA does not ensure you have the appropriate insurances in place etc, my dog could join the hia if he wanted to and he could put their stickers on his kennel. Also does your project managment service carry public idemnity insurance and if so how much 10 million ? more ? less ? I think you must be a nice guy to put up with the mud slingin from colbert. I think he wishes he was you.

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by MikeJackson:

Michael Yardney,
    Are you a registered building practitioner with the building commission. I think that is what colbert was asking. With all due respect, Being a member of the HIA does not ensure you have the appropriate insurances in place etc, my dog could join the hia if he wanted to and he could put their stickers on his kennel. Also does your project managment service carry public idemnity insurance and if so how much 10 million ? more ? less ? I think you must be a nice guy to put up with the mud slingin from colbert. I think he wishes he was you.

The answer is yes and yes

I own 50% of a company that is a registered building company. My partner in the company is a registered building practitioner and has been for years and years. I do not have the time or inclination to run a construction company nor do I. I have never suggested that I was a builder.

Our construction company has a clean record and no complaints have been lodged against it.
    Does this company have public liability insurance of $10,000,000 – YES it does.

Does Metropole Projects carry professional indemnity insurance as a project manager. YES of course we do. Is it hard to get? – VERY. Is it expensive? – YES – but we must protect our clients

Do clients funds get held in a government guaranteed trust account that is externally audited? – YES they do.

Do we try hard to act professionally in the interests of our clients? – YES we do.

Does everything always go as we plan? – NO it doesn’t.

I started Metropole in 1979 and it has traded profitably and professionally since then. We are not one of the new cowboys.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Wow colbert you seem to have some issues here with Mr Yardley and it appears that your aggresion is from some personal loss or jealousy??

Delboy – i am developing in SE QLD and would love to give you some guidence to help you on your way into creating wealth through property.

I don’t agree with RESIDEX that this area will not grow over the next 5 years (M.yardley)

There is always a deal to be made in property, developing, renovating, extensions, dual/occ, duplexes, new buildings, land rezoning etc etc its just a mater of timing and whats popular at the time.

I was one of the key players who sold and conceptually designed what is today Laguna resort in the Whitsundays in 1988 and there have been many corrections since then.

So delboy – go for it mate – do your home work and don’t be in a hurry to get rich quick.

resiwealth

Profile photo of plpropertyplproperty
    @plproperty

You should look at:

– Draft South East Queensland Regional Plan

– South East Queensland Infrastructure Plan and Program 2005-2026

Get both from http://www.oum.qld.gov.au

More resources on our website here: http://www.plproperty.com.au/queensland_property_links.html

Luke Woollard
    Licensee
    Pacific Lifestyle Property
    http://www.plproperty.com.au

comments made are general information only. you should seek professional advice for your particular circumstances.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have just been through this post and deleted everything which did not add value to the thread.

Colbert and his aliases have been blocked from posting.

Please advise me by email should he rear his head again.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Good work Simon, its ashame that some topics go side ways and loses peoples good posts.

resiwealth

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Just block each IP address he keeps appearing under. This should stem the problem.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.