All Topics / Forum Frolic / Best Value for Aussie Tourists

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Wondering if anyone has been on a trip recently. What locations are good value for the Aussie tourist at the moment? What if you wanted to stay a little longer? What places would let an aussie stay for 3 or 4 months.

Cheers

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of ChewyChewy
    Participant
    @chewy

Hey,

I’m also looking around for some places to go at the end of the year after I finish my studies and I’ll be researching for places once my exams are over this semester.

For great value, you would need to look at the exchange rate and see which one the $AUD would stack up against. Asian countries are generally good value such as Thailand, Indonesia, China etc… Europe is a bit pricey although depending on whether you’re a party animal or not, you might feel like joining the Contiki tour = )

Anyone else got any suggestions? Also, does anyone have any experience with travelling to South America?

Chewy

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Chewy,

We would be looking for somewhere warm with a bit of culture and not to many tourist. Oh and a good exchange rate. I now it’s alot to ask but who knows there could be a place out there.

Cheers

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108
    Originally posted by Don and Liz:

Hi Chewy,

We would be looking for somewhere warm with a bit of culture and not to many tourist. Oh and a good exchange rate. I now it’s alot to ask but who knows there could be a place out there.

Cheers

Hi
    Why not try India?
    Warm – Yes
    Culture – definitely…oodles of it
    Less tourists- may be but many, many MANY locals
    If you can withstand the initial culture shock, I reckon India can be a cheap holiday as you get Rs.35 for your dollar, and yes it would buy reasonably.
    You need to be brave and perhaps need a friend from here who is Indian, so you don’t get ripped off – well not much anyway.
    Padma
    PS: How do I know? I am from India.[blush2]

Participant
    @don

Hi Padma,

That is something I had not even thought of. What can you buy for Rs.35. Do you need a visa? Well you wouldn’t I suppose but what about people who only have an aussie passport.

Cheers

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108
    Originally posted by Don and Liz:

Hi Padma,

That is something I had not even thought of. What can you buy for Rs.35. Do you need a visa? Well you wouldn’t I suppose but what about people who only have an aussie passport.

Cheers

Hi Liz
    Yes you would need a visa, even I do, as I am an aussie now. India is such a vast country and culture wise there is so much to take in, you cannot possibly cover the length and breadth of India in one trip. You would need to do it in sections, like north, south, west and east. particularly north and south cannot be combined in one trip and take all in. Purely because, North indian tourist attractions are all based on islamic culture and show the Moghul rule influence, south Indian tourist attractions are definitely hindu oriented and the architecture reflects that. Both are equally fascinating, educating and wonderful experiences. Throughout India you would also see the British influence as India was ruled by the British for well over 300 years. Every one had a share of Indian bounty and from what I understand, before other countries started invading India, it was the world’s richest country.
    Sounds like I am trying to sell India – I am not, but it is a fascinating country so much so that tourists have a love or hate relationship with it.
    Best thing would be go to tourism india website, I don’t have the reference but I am sure googling will give plenty of results, and collect some brochures and stuff from travel agents and then decide whether you want to experience it. One thing I can promise you it would be definitely an eye opening experience.
    Regards
    Padma

Participant
    @don

cheers padma I’ll check it out!

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of plpropertyplproperty
    @plproperty

We’ve just been to Vietnam (North 2 South on the coast), Cambodia (Siam Reap) and Thailand (Koh Samui)

Vietnam is great value – a main meal can cost you about 30c AUD I found the people generally friendly and inquisitive. You can stay in private guesthouses (like hotel rooms) from about $9USD per night in the main cities. My tip for Vietnam – take plenty of 1 USD bills – the preferred currency.Sharpen your bargaining skills and learning the language is essential and can be difficult.

Cambodia was good – we just went to Siam Reap to explore the ancient temples of Angkor which were amazing. I didn’t find the area particularly cheap but wasn’t too bad. (i.e. Cans of Coke cost me 70c USD)

Thailand is good also – I think, a lot more westernised than either Cambodia or Vietnam.

You obviously need to exercise caution when travelling anywhere overseas but particularly in third world countries.

Check out the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade Smart Traveller website http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au

Luke Woollard
    Licensee
    Pacific Lifestyle Property
    http://www.plproperty.com.au

comments made are general information only. you should seek professional advice for your particular circumstances.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have travelled much of South East Asia. My favourite is Laos and my wife loved Cambodia (She travelled through there on her own woth no troubles). We both enjoyed Hanoi and the North of Vietnam but not so keen on the south.

If I was to find a cheap friendly place for a few months then I would go back to Lake Toba in Sumatra. It is a few hours drive from the city of Medan (which you should stay in as short a time as possible – is not a nice place).

Email Hendricks at Samosa Resort and ask him for a good deal on a Lakeside room for a month.

There were a number of backpackers there who had run out of money but weren’t ready to go home. It really is a place where you can stay and eat restaurant quality meals for $20 a day (including beers). The staff and other guests are so friendly there.

It is located on the island of Samosir in the huge Lake Toba in Sumatra Indonesia. It is a christian area and is quite unlike other areas I have visited in Indonesia.

If I can help you at all please email.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.