All Topics / General Property / 1st renovator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of freestonefreestone
    @freestone

In tassie the cheap CF positive property is now gone due to the influx of mainland buyers but there are still renovators on the market.
    I’m currently looking at two properties that have renovating potential
    How do I decide the better of the two properties, how much work should I do on the properties?
    What are some of the things I should look for in a reno?
    One property is $130k the other $125k
    Can any experienced renovators help??

boatie

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Freestone, the first question i would ask you is how much would the 2 properties b worth after your reno makeover.

That way u work from the end back to your purchase price + costs and hopefully it is a profitable experience.

I have a saying (well hundreds but) “if the numbers don’t work don’t rework the numbers”

Can i give u a purchasing tip. Write down a list and costs of all the defects, take it to the owner and negoiate a better purchase costs based on the DEFECTS … get my drift?

resiwealth

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi freestone/boatie,
    Here are a couple of websites that might help…
    http://www.dynamicduoinvestments.com
    http://www.renos.com.au
    Happy renovating[biggrin]
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Resiwealth,

I’ve heard and read about that purchasing tip many times before – but unsure if it has ever been successful.

If a place is listed for $ 130 K and the Buyer reckons it has $ 15 K worth of defects, the typical conversation goes something like ;

Buyer : “I think it’s worth only $ 115 based on all these defects.”
    Seller : “We agree completely with your list. If the property didn’t have those defects we’d be asking $ 145 K….now are you interested or not ??”

At this point the Buyer either walks or screws up the list and gets back to serious negotiations.

That’s been my experience anyway – both standing in the Buyer’s and Seller’s shoes.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Interesting point Dazzling!
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of freestonefreestone
    @freestone

thanks for the info resiwealth and shaztaz I’ll try them both. I can see your logic dazzling but it can’t hurt to try? The properties should be worth around $180-$200k once renovated.

boatie

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Dazzling, i disagree … $115,000.00 real price + $15,000.00 defects = $130,000.00 true value, and not $145,000.00 IMHO

resiwealth

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Aside from doing the figures, I look for the “best shell”. Cosmetic is easier to fix than structural so the best shell usually reduces costs. All depends on the final figures though.

PK

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.