All Topics / Legal & Accounting / US Australia Non Resident Rental Property Tax Retu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bardon_2bardon_2
    Participant
    @bardon_2

Does anyone have any experience or advice on effective tax planning for US rental property income for an ozzie tax resident?

My preference is to have property in LLC and pass through taxation to my ozzie trust. I understand that I am up for 30% withholding tax not sure how I get the difference back if the trust beneficiaries were to pay less.

Any feedback appreciated.

Profile photo of Mark UnwinMark Unwin
    Participant
    @markunwin

Hi Bardon,

The LLC can purchase the property and rental income can be distributed to a C Corporation you setup (U.S company). U.S state & federal tax is paid on this.

Capital gains the LLC dervies are distributed to your Australian trust and taxed in Australia.

To get the money from U.S to Oz, the C Corporation will need to pay a dividend to your Australian trust. U.S withholding tax is withheld on this payment.

Regards,

Mark Unwin
    Williams Partners Pty Ltd
    http://www.wp.com.au

Profile photo of bardon_2bardon_2
    Participant
    @bardon_2

Mark,
    Thank you for response, which I understand. But I am having difficulty seeing the benefit of the C Corp as there is a double taxation issue as opposed to a straight non-resident return and withholding tax once.

If the C corp pays income tax and then there is a withholding tax on a dividend and the trust will also be taxed (sure it gets credit on the withholding) on this dividend, as corporations are not part of the double taxation agreement.

So obviously the numbers need to be run through to see what the overall benefit is but generally speaking I cant see why the C Corp is beneficial if you want the profit to come back to oz.

Bardon

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Bardon

Your spot on.

If you require the USA income in aust. (as we do as we have some AUD borrowings to fund the purchases in the USA) then the C Corp will result in double taxation, an effective rate of around 60%.

Even if you don’t require the income in Aust now, you will have to bring it back one day with the same result….

Other then that PM me and I can give you the details of the tax advisers we use both here and in the US.

Regards
    Tony

Profile photo of bardon_2bardon_2
    Participant
    @bardon_2

Tony,

Thanks for that I have just Pm’d you, look forward to getting some certainty on this issue.

Profile photo of Mark UnwinMark Unwin
    Participant
    @markunwin

Hi Bardon & Tony,

My understanding is that there is a 15% withholding tax on the dividends paid from the U.S to Oz.

The withholding tax is offset against your Australian income payable on the dividend.

Depending on which state you incorporate your U.S C Corporation, you may only be paying 15% income tax in the U.S.

Cheers,

Mark Unwin
    Williams Partners Pty Ltd
    http://www.wp.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.