All Topics / Help Needed! / Holiday Let Investment Properties

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of mitmmitm
    @mitm

So what’s the go with investing in a holiday apartment. 6 months of summer holiday letting with higher rental returns, followed by a 6 month (winter) permanent lease at a lower return. Where? – the Gold Coast – (where else?)
    Any advice or experiences? Pros or cons?

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

I haven’t invested in holiday letting, so feel free to discount my advice (only cons, I’m afraid).

It’s not a simple matter of splitting half the year into high rental return and half into low return. You can expect to have the place sitting empty half the time between lettings – with none of the stability of a 12 month rental contract to know when your payments are coming in.

There will be higher than average letting costs – first to continually promote your unit, as well as to clean and maintain it regularly.

You’ll need to furnish it (including crockery etc), and expect bits and peices to go missing as well as increased wear and tear to a regular rental. This won’t be anyone’s home. No background checks are conducted on holiday tenants, so you’ve no control of who blows in.

I’m not sure what the pro’s are – but I’m sure someone with experience in this area will step up to the debate.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I am with you Luci.. no ‘pros’ here.

You know what they say about Queensland holiday property…

“Beutiful one day, vacant the next!”

To be honest, I just made that up. It represents my view on any holiday letting area.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Mitm,

We have owned a beach shack for the past 4 years. Having a young family we bought the place as a ‘fun place’, with the intention of getting away from the city mainly on weekends and the like.

Finances and investing came a very poor second or third in the heirachy that went into the selection criteria before the decision to buy was made.

The beach shack has fulfilled it’s primary function of having fun.

We have been pleasantly surprised by it’s financial performance…coming from our low expectations, we are reasonably happy with how it has performed.

The rental income covers 86% of the mortgage payments (started out as 100% loan) – we chip in the other 14% plus all outgoings.

Over the 4 years we’ve had to chip in a total of $ 19 K, but the up side is we’ve had free accomodation for holidays for the past 4 years and enjoyed cap growth of $ 185K so far. We consider it paid fun !!

What are the downsides ??

1. PM (only IP we employ one for) charges 20% plus all the usual add ons.
    2. Some minor kitchen utensils and crockery always go walkabout – frustrating mainly – $ cost about $ 120 over the 4 years. Don’t let that put you off though.
    3. We usually go in the off season, as it’s always booked out over Easter / school hols / Xmas and New Year
    4. Even though the casual tenants bring their own linen, the thought of many couples going through your bed is a tad off putting. This in fact is the main reason why other people in the town don’t rent theirs out. When we get a bit more flush with cash, we’ll pay the loan off and do the same probably.
    5. That’s about it really.

We have a big land component to the shack (2 storey fibro right up on the top of the hill with 180° ocean views), so the block is growing nicely.

If you are asking about some villa or high rise deal…I’d probably give that a miss.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of plpropertyplproperty
    @plproperty

mitm, I’m a fan of well researched advice.

We operate a real estate agency in Burleigh Heads, Queensland (central Gold Coast).

The Gold Coast is Australia’s largest tourist market.

You can obtain a Gold Coast Tourism Market Analysis (12 mths to dec 2004) from the Gold Coast City Council Website http://www.gccc.com.au

The report details average occupancy rates, average room rates per night – graphed month-by-month with comparisons 12 months to dec 2003. Certainly the type of information accountants like to see when helping investors make informed decisions.

See: http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_std2.asp?PID=1461

Hope that helps you.

Luke Woollard
    Licensee
    Pacific Lifestyle Property
    http://www.plproperty.com.au

comments made are general information only. you should seek professional advice for your particular circumstances.

Profile photo of CyberMicahCyberMicah
    @cybermicah

A big factor I have found to consider is who is the onsite management team. A good onsite manager/team will know how to effectively advertise, keep the place well maintained and know how to get visitors returning every year. Good managers will have a history, and I would recommend doing a bit of back ground homework on the management team, as part of your overall research on buying a specific IP in a holiday letting location.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Mitm,

You did say “holiday apartment” so I am assuming you are talking something with a few floors. If so investigate body corporate costs – they can be very expensive and make a good gross return not so fancy as net figures.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.