All Topics / Opinionated! / the savings nightmare

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

THE SAVINGS NIGHTMARE

Imagine when around twenty years from now you decide that its time to retire to do all those things that you have not been able to do because you have been working all your life, bringing up the children, paying off a mortgage. However the vast majority quickly discover that they will not have enough money to maintain there current lifestyle and many will not even be able to afford the basics without some form of Government support. On current projections, in Australia within a short period of time around 80% of retirees or around 20% of the projected population will be living on under $12,000 per year. In New Zealand with no compulsory superannuation and with lower imcomes the situation is even more bleak.

Nearly all Western countries are facing similar problems. In the United States they have less savings than Australia and their debt ratios are far higher. The Baby boomers may well cripple some countries.

If the current predictions are true, then what effect will this have on Australia and New Zealand. Here we come to the second problem, thirty years ago the average family was having three children. Today only two out of four couples marry and only two out of four have children. We are also having children at a much later age today where the average first time mums are 30 compared to 21 thirty years ago. With many professional women starting families in their late thirties. What this means, is that we are not replacing our current population.

If we follow the facts through, it will indicate that we will not have enough people in the workforce to fill all the jobs. This means that there will be less tax payers than there are today. So with the number of people aged over 65 doubling in the next twenty years, where are the funds coming from to support them?

In Australia for the past few years the Federal Treasurer has been stating that we will not be able to fund the level of discounted medicines that we supply today in twenty years. At the last Australian budget the treasurer stated that we should all go home and do our duty and having one child for the husband one for the wife and one for the country. We all laughed. Unless we can increase the birthrate our children will be paying far higher taxes than we are today. Although a GST will help, if people are spending less then there is less money in circulation and less being collected in taxes.

Rather than retire many Australians and New Zealanders will have to work for far longer than they do at present. That is, if people wish to maintain something close to the lifestyle they have today.

So what can we do about these issues, firstly and most importantly we must save more. We cannot keep spending more than we earn. That is the quickest way to go broke. The 9 percent superannuation is not enough. If you are hoping to live at least 20 years in retirement on an income of around $50,000 per year you will need around one million dollars in either invested funds or property. That’s cleared funds without debt. There is no other option. The government in Australia could do far more to encourage long term savings. In New Zealand when it comes to property investment they have no capital gains tax, no stamp duty, and the rate of depreciation is double compared to Australia. This encourages New Zealanders to save. The taxes in Australia are simply to high. The Australian government must make significant changes to our tax system to encourage us to save. If they fail to do this most of us will face a bleak future.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

One big problem is that any Government who tries to do what is needed to fix the problem gets attacked by the public regarding taxes being too high or by companies for superannuation and taxes being too high.

I think the out-sourcing of infrastructure is one good idea to reduce the costs incurred by Government. I also believe the GST will be raised in the near future and the real plans will start to kick in once Liberal take over the Senate. Hopefully, the public will not kick them out at the next election for doing what is needed.

I personally think that anyone starting a business today should focus on (or at least cater for) products for the elderly with projections of 35% of the country being retired in the not too distant future.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I agree with you robert.
    My experience is that most people know that they will have a problem in retirememt. No one that I have spoken to either personally or when I have been giving a talk believes that thegovernment will have the funds. It is clear that by 2020 we will have nearly double the numbers in retirement that we have today and only around 5% of people entering the workforce compared to now. The fact that the government can talk about a 10 billion dollar surplus is a disgrace. The government must increase infurstructure spending and offer tax cuts via savings stratagies. Only by implementing these stratagies now can we hope to secure our future.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.