All Topics / Help Needed! / Where to start: 1st Property – No Assets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Everyone…

I’m a recently married man, who’s seen the error of his ways when it’s come to spending money. I’ve been a spend thrift, however I’ve come to realise that I don’t want to work 8+ hour days in a job, and live a life where I’m constantly worried about paying off my credit cards. I’ve seen that I have responsibilities now, and I really just want to spend time with my wife, and live a life which we can enjoy together.

So that’s a background on myself – here’s where I stand now. Since my marriage, I’ve paid of my credit cards, and started saving. I’ve got about $1500 remaining to pay off on my credit cards, and I have about $6000 in savings. I also have a $10,000 HECS debt. We both live with my folks, and we have a desire to move out. That’s really where I stand at the moment financially. My wife doesn’t work currently – she’s looking for a job.

Living in NSW, I know I’m eligible for stamp duty exemption for my first property, and I’m also eligible for my first home-owners grant.

So with that in mind, I’ve got 2 questions to ask:

1. Should we buy our first property as an investment, or should it be a place to live for me and my wife?
    2. Should we rent a place, and invest in property, or should we buy a place to live, and then invest in property?

Here’s what we want:
    1. A place of our own
    2. Our own property empire

However, I have no idea where to start! We know what we want, we know why we want it – we just don’t know how to do it!

I’ve recently read books like:

1. Rich Dad Poor Dad
    2. The One Minute Millionaire
    3. Cashflow Quadrant
    4. 0-130 Properties in 3.5 years
    5. Money Secrets of the Rich (reading currently)

I’m dedicated to financial freedom, and I’m trying to learn as much as I can – I just want to know where to start off…

Can anyone offer me ideas?

Also, I’ve seen that Steve has a Masterclass – is that an appropriate course for beginners?

I’d appreciate any tips, pointers, feedback and ideas that you can provide!

Thanks,

-Nikhil

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Firstly, what does an 8 hour day feel like???

Secondly, use your savings to pay of the remaining debt on the credit card. Why earn 6% which is taxed and pay out 18%???

Finally, speak to a mortgage adviser before doing anything yourself. You have a few options.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

The fastest way for you to gert into the property market would be through a 100% loan, you can get surprisingly good rates for these if you have 3%genuine savings. Unfortunately they are only available for PPOR.

Regards
    Alistair

@robbie-b

Actually, you do not need any genuine savings and you can borrow 100% for investment properties.

Achieveable alternatives may include 97% or 95% finance or even 106% finance for PPOR or investment.

Speak to a good mortgage adviser!!!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks for the pointers… that was really quick!

Can you tell me, whats PPOR?

To answer your question Robert, an 8 hour day for me, ie at work, is in a nutshell this:

Working for someone else, earning for them, getting a token cut of what they earn, which will just manage to sustain my current lifestyle. It’s a hectic place, where it’s an “every man for himself” environment, and I have a day which is filled with stress, fatigue and at times, cynicism.

Thanks for the tips, I’m really amazed at how quick I got responses!

-Nikhil

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

You do need 3% genuine savings to access the lowest rate 100% loans.

PPOR = Principle Place of Residence

@robbie-b

Which product do you consider the cheapest?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.