Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Old School SkataOld School Skata
    @old-school-skata

I own a block of units where the unit block is at the front of the block and back is empty. total land size is 1012m. I have approached council in regards to putting another set of units out the back, but due to the location of the existing block at the front and close proximity to boundary fence, i will not be able to widen the driveway to cater for additional units out the back, and there is insufficient room to put a queing bay at the front. This means i have about half my block with nothing on it – unused asset.

I was wondering if any forumites had any suggestions on how to better use this land or if it is possible to sell this land to a neighbour? Are there other possibilities?

Anyway please your suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks

OSS

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

OSS,

Why do you need to widen the driveway? I can understand you need extra parking, but this has little to do with the width of the existing driveway.

In any case, you should seek professional advice on this from an architect/draftsman that has good knowledge of town planning issues or else a town planning consultant. Definately don’t just accept the advice of a council officer.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of Old School SkataOld School Skata
    @old-school-skata

APerry,

I have engaged the use of a professional (Building Services Firm with Architects, Engineers, Town Planners).

Ok here is the info to date
    Upon speaking to Council Town Planning, i was informed i could build buildings with a roof over it on up to 50% of land content. This was fine as existing buildings total approx 225m. Council informed me of a few requirements and i asked for some architects who know these rules and would prepare plans accordingly. A group of firms was given to me – i made touch with them all and appointed one.

Building Services firm prepared some initial plans to run by Council Town Planner…turns out that Architect prepared some plans without knowing some details or requirements or neglected to research these. Original plans were for 4 units but due to parking requiremens, a wider driveway required (as carports are out the back) to a min of 5.4m instead of the 3m at present.

There is no room for this 5.4m as existing building is 3.3m from boundary and contains existing 3m wide driveway. No room at other end of block for a U shaped driveway as it is only 2.6m from building to fence.

Anyway there are a few other things as well and after seeking advice and speaking direct to Council, this is not going to happen, not even for less units (1 is not feasible, 2 not allowed due to requirement for driveway que bay which will not fit)

So not focussing on the negative, i am still open to suggestions on what additional value can be added by using this land.

Has anyone run into the problem before?

Hope someone can offer some advice or ideas to help

Thanks OSS

Profile photo of TurboBTurboB
    @turbob

Add a pool and charge more rent on the existing units …… just a thought?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.