All Topics / Help Needed! / Reno on wooden panel – ideas please

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Hi Forum

I eventually bought that property I had trouble getting (thank you for all the finance help).

The property has that wooden panelling that was all the go way back when. Has anyone painted over it with success rather than to have to pull it down and replaster?

I have other reno jobs to do other than replastering.

Your comments welcome [biggrin]

Jenny1

Profile photo of Ambo72_2Ambo72_2
    Participant
    @ambo72_2

Hi Jenny1,

Our second property that we are currently in negotiations for has the same type of stuff by the sound of it. It makes the house very dark and feel quite small.

We have had advice from a paint shop that you can just paint over it with the right kind of paint (I don’t know what sort). Firstly you need to paint between the joins with a brush and then go over the rest with a roller.

Good luck,

Ian

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Being a restorer/renovator I am concerned about painting over wood panels. There are many ways of bringing light into a house! You may actually be affecting the value of your house by painting these panels. Consider it very carefully.

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Marsden

So you would recommend removing panels instead of painting over them?

It would be hard to add light (skylight) as on the bottom floor of a two story house.

Thank you for any further thoughts

Jenny1

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi Jenny1
    If the paneling is that imitation 6 by 4 sheets you can pull off the joining strips and wall paper over the panels. If it is the redwood or pine overlapped paneling then that is a bit more difficult. If you repaint it that stuff looks like the weather board on the outside of a house. Maybe restain it a lighter colour or you may have to rip it off and giprock the walls.
    Kerwyn.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Jenny,

What type of panel are your refering to. Is it wood or ply sheets of some other “material”.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of JunkersJunkers
    @junkers

Hi Jenny,
    This is probably a stupid question, but have you had a look at what is under the wood panelling?? I have just bought a house which has wooden panelling (thin plywood with grooves cut into it) and underneath is wallpapered gyprock. So all we’re going to do is pull off the panelling and ascertain whether we strip the wallpaper or just paint over it.
    Our first reno have wallpapered masonite covering tounge and groove boards – we ended up ripping out the masonite and painting the boards and it came up a treat. Whoever started that trend ought to be shot!!
    Good luck with it all!

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi Jenny,
    Must agree with Junkers, all we did was paint over it with 3 in 1 and painted it a light colour it came up well.Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

There are 3 types of people:1. People who make things happen.
    2. People who watch what happens.
    3. People who wandered what happened.

@jenny1

Don and Liz

the panelling is ply with grooves cut into it. Not sure at this stage what is underneath, thought I would just do a quick makeover that looks great when finished!

Jenny1

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

In that case the painting option will work fine. Try and get a good oil based under and sealer. Go for white or a light colour to reflect as much light around the room as you can.
    Carefull using a brush as the thicker qualityu paints will dry slightly raised and show through into your rolled coats.
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

@jenny1

Many thanks to all that replied,

it is always encouraging to know that others have tried a particular method and prepared to give feedback.

Will let you know how it goes [biggrin]

Jenny1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.