All Topics / Help Needed! / Dual Occupancy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of BellacrestBellacrest
    Participant
    @bellacrest

Hi!
    Looking at buying a 4 bedroom house and converting it into 2x 2 bedroom dual occupancy house. Just wondering in regards to electricity and water/ sewrage do I need to split these into two? Does it depend on local council? If anyone else has done this what did you do?

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

I believe to do this you might have to strata title the property, or subdivide it.

I’m not an expert on this subject, though.

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

Or you could leave it as is – I think you can still rent it out as 2 dwellings – you’ll just need to find a way to apportion the electricity & water between the 2 tenants. Perhaps charge a set monthly fee for these from each of the tenants and pay the bills yourself.

A good property manager should be able to advise you on this.

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

Systems vary state to state etc. In Victoria a second dwelling is allowed in some Res 1 Zones, look at the planning scheme maps to find out. The Overlays are the critical documents.

The you have Rescode and requirements for outside living space, sunlight etc.

You apply for a Development Permit and if you get it you can build a second dwelling on site, or demolish and build two.

At that stage it is still ONE property and can only be sold as a whole.

You also need to subdivide, either strata or separate freehold titles. Another Permit is needed.

You’d be mad to do it without a professional and all up a simple second dwelling/sub-divide costs about $15,000 and about a year to do.

Profile photo of AuzzieLadAuzzieLad
    Participant
    @auzzielad

Chris,

Are you talking about knock down rebuild or big wall in the middle of current house and making semi’s?

If the big wall approch, from reading on here, you need to fire proof the dividing wall, you can install seperate electricity meters (best appraoch) then you have no disputes.

As for the rest, its out of my league, but I’d say do it right and get a seperate water meter, as with electricity minimizing disputes again. I believe the sewer can remain.

But again approach your local council and chat with them prior to carrying out any work so you dont waste any money, they will also advise you of what services need changing etc.

Good luck
    Cheers

Mark

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Chris,

If this is in Victoria you almost certainly need a planning permit.

Regards
    Alistair

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.