All Topics / General Property / Starting out in business. Investing in a gym?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi all,
    I’m wondering if anyone has had any involvement in the gym industry and/or commercial property relating to it? As many people say ‘follow your passion’, I’ve started to look into demographic profiles of gym members and studies on the health benefits. It appears to fall into 3 main categories.
    1. The aged population. Many studies have emerged that weight resistance training can reduce depression in the aged population (who are more prone to depression statistically and that the aged are living longer).
    2. Wives/mothers who want to shape up after having there first child.
    3. Males between 17-30 age bracket who desire to bulk up, night club image, etc.
    4. The rising obesity (clinical definition) epidemic and it’s related health consequences.
    These 4 categories are by no means exhaustive (eg. general fitness, pilates, aerobics, etc). After speaking to a few gym owners today, these 3 population groups tend to be the mainstay for cashflow. I’m interested if anyone has had ‘ANY’ experience in terms of finding/leasing/purchasing commercial property and it’s inherent costs/benefits in such a venture and any other ‘nuts and bolts’ that they may be able to offer.
    Another idea is into perhaps having somewhere that personal trainers can bring there clients to train and rent out the premises for a fee. It appears that ‘Life Coaching and personal trainers’ have continued to consistently boom in the ever growing health fitness area. I realize that it’s a cut throat business but I’m trying to look for a niche market in an already popular market. Any suggestions related to this would be most appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    Another idea is into perhaps having somewhere that personal trainers can bring there clients to train and rent out the premises for a fee.

Most gyms don’t do this, because they have their own personal trainers working there and they want to put personal training through their business.

Depending on the location of the gym, the demographics vary significantly. For example I am a member at Fitness First, and go to 3 different locations depending on day and time. CBD, Richmond & Bayside. The clienetele is very different in all three gyms.

Might pay you to visit the offering of various gyms and associated costs to see what is in the market.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Gatsby,

Bought an upmarket IIP last year with a gym as the tenant.

Is doing fine…happy with the purchase.

Due diligence on the tenant, and their financial viability is vital.

Tenant is one of these hardcore gyms, none of this fluffy girly stuff. Lotsa cast iron…came with the property deal, so the wife most of the hardcore iron being pumped in the state.

Tenant been in the business 30yrs, and have them signed up for 10 yrs on our lease….works great. They keep the place immaculate.

Slightly better than Mr and Mrs Low Income in a scrappy house.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

You should speak to one of the many private personal training studios about paying to use their facilities. I think they would be far more opren to the idea than a large gym. They’re a better environment for your clients also.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.