All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Capital Gains Exemption : 6 or 12 ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Bradles CBradles C
    Participant
    @bradles-c

Hi Guys,

I just need some clarification on Capital Gains Tax.

I have recently split with my girlfriend and we are in the process of building a new house. The house will be finished in April. We brought the block of land over 12 months ago. My ex is going to live in the house for 6 months and then we will sell ASAP and split the profits.

Will we have to pay Capital Gains Tax if she lives in it for 6 months and then sells ? Some people say you must live in it for 6 months and others say 12 ???

Thanks heaps [biggrin]

Brad

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If it is her home then it is exempt from CGT.

I don’t believe there is a minimum time frame but suggest you call the ATO and get it straight in your own mind.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Brad,

This question has already been answered for you, my me and others in a previous thread; why are you asking EXACTLY the same question? Because the LAND was purchased with the intent to building your PPOR the ATO will require that either of you (in this case your ex-girlfriend) lives in the house for a min. of 3 months after it’s completion.

Go back and search through your archived posts and you will find it again.

ATO phone number – 13 28 61 (local call cost)

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by Monopoly:

Brad,

This question has already been answered for you, my me and others in a previous thread; why are you asking EXACTLY the same question? As her PPOR she MUST live in it for a min. of 3 months.

Go back and search through your archived posts and you will find it again.

Cheers,

Jo

Jo,

Where did you find the reference to three months?

I have been through the ATO website and it doesn’t suggest a time frame. Would appreciate your source here please.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Brad,

Now I have done the search I might as well post the results for your and others benefit.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/43486.htm&page=16&pc=001/002/026/004&mnu=1051&mfp=001/002&st=&cy=1

Tells us at:

Is the dwelling your main residence?
    The following factors may be relevant in working out whether a dwelling is your main residence:

the length of time you live there – there is no minimum time a person has to live in a home before it is considered to be their main residence whether your family lives there
    whether you have moved your personal belongings into the home
    the address to which your mail is delivered
    your address on the electoral roll
    the connection of services (for example, phone, gas or electricity)
    your intention in occupying the dwelling.
    A mere intention to construct or occupy a dwelling as your main residence – without actually doing so – is not sufficient to get the exemption.

In certain circumstances, you may choose to treat a dwelling as your main residence even though:

you no longer live in it (for more information, see Continuing main residence status after dwelling ceases to be your main residence), or
    you are yet to live in it but will do so as soon as practicable after it is constructed, repaired or renovated and you will continue to live in it for at least three months (for more information, see Constructing, renovating or repairing a dwelling on land you already own).

That there is no set minimum period of time.

But Jo may have something more up to date on this one.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

@monopoly

Sure, but I don’t think my sister would appreciate me giving you her phone number Simon.

She works for the ATO and I have discussed this issue with her (and other ATO officials) after I myself had purchased a block of land late last year with the same intent.

Cheers,

Jo

@monopoly

Apparently it has something to do with the LAND component of CGT exemption, and that if you buy the land with the intention of building your PPOR on it, it is recommended that you live in the building for a min. of 3 months. I will hunt down the reference for you.

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Constructing, renovating or repairing a dwelling on land you already own
    Generally, if you build a dwelling on land you already own, the land does not qualify for exemption until the dwelling becomes your main residence. However, you can choose to treat land as your main residence for up to four years before the dwelling becomes your main residence in certain circumstances.

You can choose to have this exemption apply if you acquire an ownership interest (other than a life interest) in land and you:

build a dwelling on the land
    repair or renovate an existing dwelling on the land, or
    finish a partly constructed dwelling on the land.
    There are a number of conditions that must be satisfied before you can claim the exemption. You must first finish building, repairing or renovating the dwelling and then:

move into the dwelling as soon as practicable after it is finished, and
    continue to use the dwelling as your main residence for at least three months after it becomes your main residence.

Here it is Jo. I learn something new every day!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Simon,

I picked up the three month minimum issue in the piece you have copied into the thread which I think applies here given the house has been recently constructed.

“but will do so as soon as practicable after it is constructed, repaired or renovated and you will continue to live in it for at least three months”

I understand the no minimum clause relates to something that is already constructed.

But as per all matters tax there is a huge disclaimer – I am not an accountant but I did pass year 12 economics.[biggrin]

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of Bradles CBradles C
    Participant
    @bradles-c

Thanks for the fast reply guys !

Jo, I realise I asked this question earlier and that is why I asked for some clarification. My ex just told me that her solicitor said she must live in it for 12 months to avoid Capital Gains. I told her that was a crock of <edited> and she didn’t believe me that you could sell after 6 months. If it 3 months then that is even better for me ! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Brad

@monopoly

No problem Brad,

Sorry if I sounded somewhat sharp with you, it was not my intention; my desk looks like a war zone atm and hence I have 1001 things going on at one time.

Simon,

Thanks for tracking that, I knew it was on their website somewhere, but as I explained to Brad (above) I am flat out atm and all I could muster was a quick explanation (and a lagging one at that).

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of Bradles CBradles C
    Participant
    @bradles-c

No worries Jo !

We are now going to sell after 3 months so that means IP number 2 will come faster than I first thought !

You have put a HUGE smile on my face [biggrin] I thought I was going to have to wait over 12 months before getting any cash ! I think we need a new solicitor who knows what they are talking about !!!

Cheers,

Brad

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.