Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Guys

i’ve been getting a lot of emails recently about Tokoroa. This is one city i have never bought in and therefore don’t really have a good knowledge of the market there.
    I know from my last visit that there are certainly areas to avoid and parts of the market that are very slow to rent. Can someone with a very good knowledge of Tok share with others what areas are to be avoided.

Thanks Westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Westan,

We have actually made some “GOOD MONEY” from some of these areas in Tokoroa, so I guess it’s horses for courses…

“Perhaps” steer clear of the cheaper “forestry box” houses, as these are in the lower socio-economic areas. Just over the railway line is the not so great area (from memory). As with lots of areas in NZ, there are “bad streets” not bad areas. It is quite different to Australia.

There are good tenants and bad tenants everywhere though, and even though people don’t have lots of money, doesn’t mean that they will be a bad tenant.

A house will usually rent quickly no matter the area in Tokoroa, if it is maintained regurarly by the landlord.

A good Property Mananger and RE Agent is a MUST in Tokoroa, and I can honestly recommend Jenny from Lambertons. http://www.lambertons.com

Regards,

Del

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Am now living in Tokoroa and today is as hot as hell.

Have spent the day cleaning an empty rental ready to be let out again. Don’t know who the owner of the house is. It’s in Papanui Street.

Have two more empty rentals to be cleaned over the next few days.
    One of the houses is quite dirty. There will be at least 4 trailer loads of old furniture etc to be taken away. $12 per trailer load to be emptied at the dump.
    This house once we have cleaned it will still be a disgrace. It needs a major redecorate inside. The state it is in dictates the quality of tenant that will rent it.

Have also picked up a contract to mow 11 lawns. Most of them are around flats.

Good areas around Tokoroa include Paronui suburb and the Wai area where all the street names start with Wai. However the prices for houses in these areas also quite high compared to other areas. However nealy every street has a number of good and bad houses in them.

I’ve noticed in my travels around Tokoroa that a lot of paint has been splashed around the outsides of many houses. The town is certainly looking up in that respect.

I’ll post more later.

Regards

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

HI Westan,

Recently I looked at a place in Tokoroa and even got to the stage of asking my NZ bank manager if he would do 80% finance on it. Here is part of his reply…

“I would not recommended that you proceed with the purchase for while the town is on State Highway One that is about all it has going for it. Tokoroa is a mill town is dependent on a paper mill for major employment. Over the years as plants become more computerised staff numbers are reduced and unemployment figures increase. From time to time there are major strikes which sometimes last months with no income so if they are a tenant of your property you have problems. Suggest that you stay right away from Tokoroa even if the land agents advertise the town is on the tourist route (everybody just passes straight through.)”

Although I have read and heard about lots of happy and sucessful Tok investors it seems my banker does not share the same sentiment.

Tok investors please don’t shoot the messenger! [ohno2]

Cheers, Nobleone. [biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi All
    nobleone
    those are the same reasons i’ve made for not investing in Tok, but if the price is good then thats usually the difference between a good investment and a bad one. on a possitive note for Tok. it’s interesting that the ANZ would only lend 70% in Tok. however recently they have lifted it to the 80% rates they give for the rest of NZ.
    Del i wasn’t meaning for this to be a Tok criticism post, i just knew that like all cities there are places where the uninformed can make mistakes. I just wanted those with a better knowledge than me to share their thoughts. And yes i know you’ve done very well with not only Tok but all of your OZ/NZ investing[cap].
    Muppet- “Hot as hell”, we get that sort of statement in Balclutha when it gets “hot”, as an Aussie i don’t find 25 degrees all that hot. Just looked up the weather for Tok it is HOT its 27 today. All the best with your new enterprises.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi all,

Nobleone – as far as the Mill goes, there is only about 250 people working there these days, (unless it has changed recently), I believe it used to be somewhere around 3000 people a few years ago…

The population of Tokoroa is 15,000ish, and so the if the 250 or so working at the mill go on strike again, doesn’t bother me so much. I would love it to get back to the 3000 or so again, and the town to buzz again though.

Westan – that’s fine, I realise you were just comparing areas within Tok, and I fully concede that especially now that the boom has hit “almost” everywhere in NZ, why invest in towns with “problems” when there are other similar priced towns that “appear” to have much more going for them.

I guess it depends if your main criteria is for capital gains as well as cashflow. We invested in Tok, only for the cashflow, and we were lucky enough to have invested there in the early days, and have made some nice gains as well.

I like Tokoroa, and I feel there are other towns in the North Island that I would NOT invest in, no matter what, (such as Mangakino – near Tokoroa, and even Taurmanaui. A lot of people may disagree about that town, but that is why investing is a personal thing, and you shouldn’t follow the “herd mentality”….

Muppet, we will be in NZ in April again, and so I hope that you can save some of that lovely weather for us!! I will try to catch up with you this time. We will certainly be popping into Tokoroa.

Regards,

Del

@muppet

Hi Guys

Heard the other day that an Australian investor is looking to buy 30-40 houses in Tokoroa this year in the 45k to 60k range.

At my last look there were only 39 houses in the range from 45k to 100k so he might be struggling.

In mid 2003 there were about 95 houses available for sale in that bracket.

Rents have definitely gone up for the better quality house.

Am looking forward to catching up with you Del. See you in April.

Actually it got up to 30 today.

Regards

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Hi Guys,

Didn’t Carter Holt announce a massive upgrade to their mill in Tokoroa recently? I thought it was late last year.

Muppet, you might have better knowledge of this being closer to the action and all.

Cheers
    Jeff

@muppet

Hi Jeff

What CHH announced was that they intended spending $150m building a new timber mill either in Tokoroa or at Marsden Point near Whangarei.

This may happen sometime in the next two years.

I have heard that Marsden Point was originally the preferred site but as time goes by Tokoroa is coming more to the fore. However I don’t know.

There are pros and cons for both sites. Only time will see.
    The new mill will be so high tech that not many jobs in the mill will be created. However alot of down stream jobs will be.

As an aside, Bunnings is opening a new store in Rotorua soon. Somebody once said that wherever Bunnings open is the place to invest.
    Look in Albany, South Auckland, Hamilton to name but three areas in which there is a Bunnings Store.

Regards

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Hi Muppet,

I am quite well exposed to the Rotorua property market. It’s one of the few towns I still own residential property in. Will be down there this evening so will check out the progress on the Bunnings site on Old Taupo Road.

Cheers
    Jeff

@muppet

Hi Guys

Bitterly hot again in Tokoroa today.

Just finished cleaning the inside of the house we started yesterday. Noticed how dirty the outside is, especially on weatherboard houses.

Just a suggestion to those who have property in Tokoroa, get someone to wash the outside of your IPs. The paint work will last longer and also the house will look more refreshing.

Regards

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.