All Topics / Overseas Deals / Proactive, not reactive:NZTip of the Day

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi guys,
    rather than just responding to reads of the forum I thought I might try and create a nice, helpful and uplifting kind of thread to try and proactively make this particular section of the forum a nice place where I feel inspired to come and check in regularly.

So here goes, I’m going to post a tip of the day on this thread every day I log in. Anyone else is welcome too of course!

Tip # 1:

When you have narrowed down a place in NZ that you are looking for property in, subscribe to the local paper (the sort that is free to locals.)

I get copies mailed to me each week for only the price of postage ($1.20 per week NZ.) I have found this invaluable.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Tip 2:
    if you are going to buy in NZ you may need to make lots of phone calls – when email is not quick enough – and sometimes they will need to be made quickly when you are not at home. Visit the local dairy/milkbar or Seven 11 and buy a phone card that lets you call from any phone prepaid, they are also a lot cheaper than many home phone plans.
    Talking on the phone to your NZ contacts is als much better than email to establish a rapport and the impression that you are a ‘for real’ legitimate looker and not a tyer kicker!!
    Just a thought….
    Cheers
    CD
    CD

CastleDreamer
    NZ Investor and Property Spotter

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Tip # 3

Network with like-minded people who are sucessfully doing what you want to be doing.
    And the flipside of that is, don’t take on board comments from people who don’t understand what you are doing, or aren’t doing it, however well-meaning, especially at the beginning or until you are really sure of yourself.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Profile photo of samurisamuri
    @samuri

Excellent tips although I use skype to call international 0.67 euros for a 27min call to Auckland from japan.

What specific benefits do you have in mind when subscribing to a local NZ newspaper, can you give examples in your case ……fantastic tip by the way

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi ggumpshots,

Some of the benefits in subscribing to the town’s local newspaper would be:

(1) learning about new businesses or infrastructure that might be coming to town, or
    (2) hearing how the town may have just got flooded last week in a big storm, or
    (3) how the only primary school is being closed down!
    (4) The train line is being opened up again…

Just a few examples off the top of my head, which might come in handy if you are considering investing in a town…

Good luck,
    Del [biggrin]

Participant
    @minimogul

yes exactly wilandel, a new old people’s home has gone in, private sales, houses for rent, special on curtains, talks of the Warehouse opening up, jobs on offer, just to get a vibe on how the town is doing, etc.

Sometimes you can respond to information in the local paper by investing!

Some of the information might not necessarily make it to the national papers or even news websites, but they are also good to check.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip # 4

This has saved me $$$$$$

Often when purchasing CF+ve houses in NZ, they don’t have curtains – you will even see tenants putting nails and pieces of material up!- or they have scrappy ones half falling down which you need to fix up especially if you have painted etc. So my tip is – which my partner and I invented ourselves one day at Mitre 10 rummaging around – instead of paying top dollar for ‘proper’ made curtains I buy tab curtains (the sort with the fabric loops) from the Warehouse for approx. 10-12 per curtain, and I use….plastic or metal towel rails and mounts instead of curtain rods!

It is so much cheaper, more like $8 per window to mount them rather than $40. And it looks great!
    Just cut them to size.

Now these days I don’t actually ‘do’ this myself, but this is what I instruct my decorators to use and they think it’s a brilliant idea too!

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Profile photo of samurisamuri
    @samuri

What local newspapers would I subscribe to , to find out about areas near the airport , manuerewa and Papakura.
    How are they perceived for capital growth. Any problems seen with these areas?

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel
    Profile photo of TazDazTazDaz
    @tazdaz

If you need to make a lot of cheap calls to NZ than why not try calling through the internet with a facility like Firefly….it can be downloaded at http://www.freshtel.net and all you do is pre pay….its dirt cheap and I should know. My wife calls her family in South Africa all the time and there are never any good deals to SA through the big telcos. Its about a third of the price and nearly all of the time its a clear line.

Dazza

Participant
    @minimogul

yes re internet telephony, SKYPE is another one

skype.com

Tip #5

Talk to a rental manager in the town about what lets well – what they can’t get enough of – and what they have a surplus of, good streets, bad streets, BEFORE you go and look to buy.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip #6

The less you know the market, the more locals you need to enlist to bounce ideas off. Ask the girl or boy at council (i.e.) what she thinks are the good streets, the bad streets. Ask your building inspector what they reckon. Talk to a rental manager NOT connected with the sale of the property. Ring up the cops.
    The more you can keep people talking, the more information you’ll get. The more personable, pleasant and amusing you are, the more they’ll want to keep on chatting and telling you stuff. And the less they’ll think of you as ‘just another Australian investor buying off the internet’. At least (if you still are that) you’ll be percieved as a SMART one who people find a pleasure to deal with.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

Here’s an on-line listing of local newspapers which I found on propertytalk:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz_newspapers.html

My online investing diary: http://retireyoungandwealthy.blogspot.com/

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip #7

Look at building options as well, whether that be adding another bedroom, relocating or building a minor dwelling onto the site, a granny flat, moving a bach onto the site, building a unit on the back, and things like that.

This strategy can work really well in a growth area where houses are say more than 100-130k each.

You may be able to make 20-40k by ‘creating’ a 100-130k dwelling rather than just buying one ready done.

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip #8

Team up with people. Find people to leverage with – whether that be sharing or swapping for eachother’s knowledge, time, access to money.

Teams can kick much more lucrative goals than thee individuals alone that make up those teams.
    This might mean you can do different deals as a team than you can as an individual. Think about how that applies to you in NZ – because it’s a biggie.!

NZ Investor and Bird Dog

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip #9:

Make loads of offers!
    These days, I find I am making about seven offers to get one accepted. It’s a hot market, and if some greater fool than you is going to pay more for the property you want, with less or shorter conditions, then there’s nothing you can do.

Make a formal written offer for the best price you are prepared to pay on every property that you think is a contender. Sometimes, you never know! Make cash offers, not subject to finance, but give yourself an out in the form of a builder’s or ‘subject to satisfactory’….
    (your lawyer will advise.)

Don’t worry about being ‘in a multi-offer situation’ – just put it in anyway. And give your offers an expiry (say a week or perhaps more.)
    Then leave it, mentally, until you hear! And meanwhile keep looking and making more offers!

If you end up with too many contracts accepted and they’re CF+ve, email me! I might be able to take them!

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of RobotRobot
    @robot

Keep ’em coming Mini! But maybe cut down on the amphetamines. (just kidding!!)

Participant
    @minimogul

Hi guys, here’s another really good one (I reckon!)

When you’ve got your builder’s report and there’s the inevitable structural ‘something’ that you sometimes get, some defect revealed, and it is time to negotiate, I strongly recommend negotiating verbally with the vendor through the agent, rather than committing anything to writing through your solicitor to the vendor’s solicitor – well, at least not prematurely and before you have a verbal agreement.

The way that I tend to get the best result is ‘I’m happy to go unconditional, I just have a concern about this and this so if you agree to this this and this, then I will go unconditional’. This usually seems to work pretty well…unconditional is a word with great meaning to vendors and agents!
    This is because the agent gets paid if the deal gets across the line, so they have a vested interest in a win/win outcome. The vendor’s lawyer, on the other hand, doesn’t have the same $$$ at stake if the deal goes ahead or not!

So hopefully, you can negotiate through the agent, who can then draw up a ‘variation’ to the contract, which, when signed by both parties is all good and now what you have already agreed verbally is also agreed in writing. The other benefit is of course you didn’t incur so many legal fees instructing your solicitor to write the vendor’s solicitor, and vice versa – and everything is much quicker.

There is another reason why you don’t want to put too many demands in writing until you have sussed it out verbally. In a hot market, the vendor may have another offer in the wings as a back-up. Sometimes a better one than yours, so the vendor might be waiting for yours to fall over. Once you put something in writing through the solicitors, the vendor could view it as a ‘counter-offer’ and cancel the contract. It doesn’t happen too often but it does happen.

And of course if the vendor says ‘no’ to what you are asking it may still be worth proceeding to unconditional anyway.

On my most recent purchase there was a roof issue and I asked for $1000 discount and the vendor still said flat out ‘no!’ I still went ahead with the purchase anyway as it was still an incredible deal for the price. But I did try, and yes, I will have to spend money on the roof – and yes, it’s still a good deal even taking that into account!

So yeah, to sum up my tip of the day, when negotiating, do it verbally first through the agent. Another reason why this can work well is that the agent also usually has a much more personal relationship with the vendors then the vendors’s solicitor and you can usually get a good ‘vibe’ through them if the vendors will come to the party.

cheers-
    Mini

Participant
    @minimogul

Tip # Umpteen

If you can’t buy positive cashflow in an area you like, then why not develop. Either buy a property and subdivide and sell off (making your half that you keep CF+ve hopefully) or else spend more and add another unit on the back (the land didn’t ‘cost you anything’ so if you build economically this should be cashflow positive overall.)
    Or look at relocatable houses. I have even seen entire blocks of 4 flats they are able to re-locate!

Or else you may be able to buy a large mansion or villa that’s not very CF+ve and convert it relatively economically give or take a firewall, into individual flats, student accommodation, or a boarding house as appropriate to the town, adding some extra bathrooms or kitchens, and make it cashflow positive.

Profile photo of pooombapooomba
    @pooomba

Just some advice to whoever said most of you don’t invest in South Auckland. Why not??
    As we move into our slump here South Auckland is a great place to still find pos cash flow property that will appreciate faster than probably anywhere else in the country. And you’d want your head read to invest in somewhere like Tokoroa these days. So much of the town is owned by investors it’s ridiculous and the place is slowly dieing. Hamilton, New Plymouth and Palmerston North are 3 smaller areas that are worth looking at, but unless you live here don’t throw your money away on some two bit town.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.