All Topics / Help Needed! / Rooming houses

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of dragonbladedragonblade
    @dragonblade

I put this answer on your question under Getting Creative heading but just in case posting here as well.

I have a 13 bedroom in house that I run as a student house where rooms are let individually. The biggest killer is the cost of insurance. Due to fires in hostels over the last couple of years insurance for this type of property has gone through the roof. For my place $560,000 building/contents and 5 million public liability costs almost $10,000 per year now. Also you will need to check with council regards fire regulations, etc

Cheers

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Check on fire regulations.
    Contact the local town planner of the council and discuss your shared housing plan. They may steer you in the right direction.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Having done some research shared housing is not covered under section 530 of the Victorian residential tenacy act 1997 it was repealed in july 1998. Try researching the tenacy union victoria web site for possible information.
    Also talk with the local council town planner on likely requirements and laws with shared housing.

Profile photo of gameonegameone
    @gameone

Hi
    As far as I know shared housing, rooming houses, boarding houses and hostels are all a bit different. We have a shared accomodation to avoid some of the regulations concerning boarding houses etc. There is a booklet regarding boarding housing but I can’t locate it at the moment.
    Pat

Take a huge bite and chew like mad.

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Give me more[drummer]

Profile photo of dragonbladedragonblade
    @dragonblade

Have just found a web site for Property owners association of NSW and they have a heading under boarding houses. As I own one myself will in the next week or so endeavour to find out more but you can check out the site at http://www.poa-nsw.com.au

Pete

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky
    Profile photo of inxsinxs
    @inxs

Your first step should be to go to local council and discuss your proposal as in some councils you can only carryout that use in specified zonings.

There could also be a development control plan or code that outlines the conditions and criteria for this type of development

Discuss the with the relevent council the fire requirements required and any other safety issues you will need to include in your development application will neighbour notification be done at the advertising of the application.

If so you may require to discuss your proposal with them in order to protect against any resident objections which may then delay the approval process.

Profile photo of snooksnook
    @snook

One option would be to talk to a provider of marginal housing solutions. These groups are non for profit and primarily funded by giovernment. In Melb I suggest you start with Melbourne Housing Company who will point you in the right direction of the right group for you. Essentially these companies will act as the head lessee and worry about all the other issues themselves.
    Only trap is they are usually limited to properties that met min requirements in term[upsidedown]s of building codes and fire safety regs etc due to the public nature of the operations and they are limited in the amount of rent they can pay to met their guidelines for affordable. I know Qld is 74.9% of market (believe other staes to be same). However given the nature of the property and the high vacancy rates and churn it evens itself out to be market.
    Each of the groups have a particular tenat slant, eg women escaping domestic violence, youth, indegeneous, single men etc so it is useful to find a list of all the providers in your area and pick that ones that are aligned with your objectives.
    If you goes this path you can usually qualify for signifcant concessions in development (eg high plot ratio etc) as most state and local govts are trying to encourage private investment into the traditional “welfare” market.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.