All Topics / Creative Investing / help with wrap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of jcls79jcls79
    @jcls79

One of my potential future owner for wrap has just informed me that they are in a bit of financial strive (been behind for rent repayment for a few weeks) but I think the problems lies in the poor cashflow management skills. I think if I can get some help on consolidating their debts, they should be okay but i am not a mortgage broker, is there anybody that can help. I have done a credit check on it and the reports turn out positive (the financial difficulty is just a recent event).

Any recommendation is much appreciated [cap]

Want to join financial independence before 31 years old, currently 25

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi jcls

I would be very careful here before I just put it down to poor cash flow management skills and head off to try to consolidate their debts into a loan with a lower interest rate.

It is usual for wrappees to be paying more for their installment payments they they usually pay in rent. If they are having problems now, how are they going to handle the higher instalment repayments?

Also, if you are using an installment contract and not a lease option, you are effectively providing credit to your clients. As a provider of credit, it is your duty to satisfy yourself that your clients have every chance of making all the payments necessary under your credit contract. Unfortunatley you now have information that shows that your clients may not be able to handle their future repayments and this information could possibly be used against you in a future court action which may try to set aside your contract as “unconcionable”. Not a nice place to be!

At best, I might let them rent the place for 12 months, with an attached 12 month savings plan or maybe a 12 month option. Both arrangements would allow for some form of rent credit from each weeks rental payment, to go towards their future deposit on the property.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of jcls79jcls79
    @jcls79

Paul

thanks for the advice. Is it more possible to put them on a lease plan, renewable every 12 months (with repayments slightly higher than market rent?) so as to monitor their cashflow position? Therefore, when the cashflow position improves (no longer playing catch-up game with rent), then maybe I will extend the lease option to 3×3? Is that the idea?

Cheers
    john

Want to join financial independence before 31 years old, currently 25

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi John

Yes that’s pretty much the idea. You just set up a 12 month lease with a 12 month option. You then set their lease payment at a level which makes the property cashflow positive for you (including rates, insurance, etc), plus a weekly amount which will be your client’s rent credit. As you say, if they are able to cope with this for 12 months you can roll them over into a 3 year lease option and possibly later an instalment contract.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.