All Topics / Help Needed! / What inspections should one get?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of rogrecogrogrecog
    @rogrecog

Being new to the property investment area, I would appreciate the advice and experiences of forum memebers regarding pre-purchase inspections. For example, apart from building inspection, pest inspection, valuation and electrical inspection, what other inspections or such should be done prior to buying an investment house?
    Can anyone help?

Rogrecog

Profile photo of hazza52hazza52
    @hazza52

I am a maintenance gas fitter in VIC and as such have come accross a lot of gas appliances that have never been looked at.
    In a lot of casses people buy without consideration of these appliances and yet a new gas heater can set you back $1500 or more [confused2]

Harry Otter

Profile photo of rogrecogrogrecog
    @rogrecog

Thanks Harry.
    I will add checking gas appliances to my list of essential things to check.
    Happy New Year to you.
    Rogrecog

Profile photo of rogrecogrogrecog
    @rogrecog

In a lot of casses people buy without consideration of these appliances and yet a new gas heater can set you back $1500 or more [confused2]
    Harry Otter

Harry,
    Approximately what would a typical “gas check” from a licenced plumber cost, a ball park figure??? Assuming there ia a gas oven and hotplates and a gas heater??

Rogrecog

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I have two housing commission built houses in Victoria and have had to replace both hot water services. This is due to the Vic Government mandating the removal of inside gas hot water services in bathrooms. If buying a house with an instantaneous gas hot water service inside the house it might pay to check the state gas regulations. This law change was brought in after a bird built a nest in the gas flue and a tenant fatality occurred from Carbon Monoxide fumes.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I forgot to add that the flues are made of asbestos which also requires an approved asbestos removal company to dispose of.

@hazza52

Hi Rogrecog
    If the appliances are properly checked, opened up and checked for specific brand and model flaws, it could cost around the $150 mark.
    Most of the time, after purchase of the property, it pays to have them serviced due to carbon monoxide mentioned in an other comment.
    All gas appliances can produce this “stuff” and being a rental property, it is very likely to get a tennant complaint.
    Such complaint is usually not worth the hassel compaired to a service call.
    Also a very good 2005 to you
    Harry

Harry Otter

@hazza52

Hi Duckster
    Bad luck with the instant HWS. This is a new regulation by the Office of Gas Safety. If the HWS is fitted in a laundry, it is still OK to leave it there. But commission houses where build with the HWS in the toilet or bathroom.
    That now is prohibited. Also check if you buy a property, this is just a minor thing though, that the gas stove has a anti-tilt device fitted. Just a way to prevent the stove from tipping forwards when kids open the oven door to use as a step-up to see what mum is cooking. If this happens to a tennant, the owner is liable if not fitted with device. (or last licenced person attended)
    Asbestos is a whole other ballgame. It can be left in place and still be used but it is tricky. The rules on this are clearly made for commercial purposes (only in my opinion) as they vary from case and owner. (as in owner occupier or landlord)There is a website that will explain all of this but i have to look it up if you are interested.
    Regards
    Harry

Harry Otter

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I believe that Archicentre, http://www.archicentre.com.au offers pretty comprehensive and reliable pre-purchase inspection reports. I’m not sure exactly what they cover as I have only been made aware of them since my last purchase. I will be contacting them before my next purchase.

Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

i think one of the most valuable assessment that you must do is a free one. This is an “independant” rental assessment. Property managers will be able to tell you if the market assessment given by the selling agent is accurate. They will also help with their opinion on the rentability of the home. Switched on property managers will also be able to advise what you can do to the home to not only add value but add to the rental income.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.