All Topics / Help Needed! / DIY Conveyancing Kits?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of EllaBEllaB
    @ellab

Hi All

Has anyone tried DIY conveyancing kits?
    I’m in NSW and would like to save the $1000 it cost me last time by using a kit or online service.

Any good links or options?

Thanks,
    Ella
    [confused2]

Challange the Norm

Profile photo of David ForbesDavid Forbes
    @david-forbes

My girlfriend and I used a DIY conveyancing kit when we bought our first place. It was really easy, and we ended up explaining how to do a few things to the lawyers acting for the vendor (dont assume a law degree implies they know everything). More often than not, legal firms assign conveyancing work to the secretaries, which means you have pretty well as much prior knowledge as they do. If you are prepared to put a bit of time and effort into the process, it can save you a lot of money and be very rewarding. Just make sure you file EVERYTHING and keep track of when things have to be done. Doing it yourself also means you learn a lot about the property you might have otherwise missed out on.
    Contact the law consumer association (in NSW). That is who we used, and they were fantastic

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

I did and went without a problem cost me $100.00 for the kit and dispersments costs for all searches pests and buildings etc …etc. – Its all Good!

Profile photo of alfamickalfamick
    Participant
    @alfamick

Hi,

I used a kit years ago in NSW; I found it a little stressful when something didn’t turn up day before settlement. Since then I’ve had some settlements get delayed etc., and was glad to have lawyers sorting it out.

So I would only use the kit if you were really skint (like we were the first time) and don’t mind the possibility of some big-time stress. It’s always good when it all goes smoothly [cap]

Mick

Profile photo of clintdbclintdb
    Participant
    @clintdb

I’ve used a DIY kit for each of the 3 properties I have purchased (QLD and NSW).

I bought my first when I had plenty of time on my hands between finishing uni and starting my first full time job.
    I’m glad that this was my first because, whilst it is not difficult for anyone with half a brain, it can take a good deal of time running around to the various departments and making sure everything is stamped properly etc and that things have been done in the correct order.

For the other 2 I knew what was going on so, even though I was working full time, I could get the jobs done either on the internet or during lunch breaks etc.

As David said, lawyers etc don’t always know everything. I had to point out a couple of things that had been missed by the vendor’s solicitor of the 2nd property I purchased.

If I was buying another property right now, I would probably do it myself again (there’s a certain amount of satisfaction), but I would consider how much time I have available and whether I could be doing something more productive.

Regards,
    Clint

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.