All Topics / Value Adding / Subdivision help in Enmore, Sydney

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of RoofarmerRoofarmer
    @roofarmer

Hello All,

I’m planning on applying for subdivison on my property in the inner-west of Sydney. The land size is around 330 square metres (60 metres long by 5.5 metres wide) and it has rear lane access with other properties having been built down that lane.

I’m just wondering if anybody has any contacts I can ring in Sydney to get some advice on the best way to approach Marrickville council, whether or not I will have a chance, tips and tricks etc. I am willing to pay for expert advice.

“Most people operate under a false ceiling which is 3 feet high” Stuart G Goldsmith

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Roofarmer,

I have no idea about contacts, but I’m wondering what sort of building is on a 5.5m wide property. If it had the usual gaps to the boundaries, then the building would only be about 3.5m wide.

And I would have thought a 330 sqm property would be too small to subdivide (but that’s only my impression).

GP

Profile photo of wwsurveywwsurvey
    @wwsurvey

Firstly go the the council and talk to the town planner on duty and discuss if the subdivision can be done before spending any money on consultants.

Once you have an understanding of thier planning laws and you can do it go and see a surveyor or town planning consultant or architect for help in preparation of the development application.

[cap]

GQ

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Good idea to go and have an informal chat with the council. They’re pretty approachable at Marrickville.

Take along photos of the properties nearby that you mentioned so you can better explain what you want to do. Be aware that planning rules change over time. Remember there was a time when dual occupancy developments were very popular all over Sydney, but then lots of councils had a rethink.

I know someone in Newtown (next suburb) who built a self contained flat in their back yard with rear lane access. They had council approval. The flat is rented out to Sydney visitors at $120 per night. There is alot of demand for this type of accomodation in that area. This might be something you could consider – it’s good income.

GreatPig,

Lots of terraces and semis (joined to another house on one side) in Enmore. In some inner city suburbs, 5.5. metres width is a luxury. There are plenty of terrace houses that are 3-4 metres wide. They were the precursors to the modern project home.

As an aside, a hundred years ago, developers would buy parcels of land in the inner west, subdivide them them, and sell off the blocks. The language they used on the marketing material was the same as that used by developers today. Spec builders would sometimes buy a block of land, bung up a row of half a dozen terraces and flog them off. My great grandfather built a row of 6 terraces in Balmain to rent out. And then somewhere along the line, some dope in my family sold them.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t thought about terraces, although I did live in one for a while in Enmore.

And I have to say, for some reason I was thinking of Enfield, not Enmore [blush2] (perhaps because it’s closer to where I live now and I go through there quite a lot).

GP

Profile photo of RoofarmerRoofarmer
    @roofarmer

Thanks for all your help everybody especially depreciator. I’m tending to think that the self contained flat might be the way to go as the block may be slightly small to subdivide. Howvever I will check out both possibilities.

I am excited about the Sydney visitor idea as I had a similar thought a few weeks ago but discounted it because I thought there may not be much interest out there. With Enmore theatre just down the road from us it could well be a winner and would certainly be a good use for a piece of land at the back of my property that is just growing weeds.

Does anybody know if there are any kit home builders for granny flats/self contained units as I looked into building something there about a year ago and was told by an architect in the area that builders were charging exhorbitant fees e.g. $150-$200K for a 50sqmtr property. I didn’t believe him but he assured me that that was the going rate!

“Most people operate under a false ceiling which is 3 feet high” Stuart G Goldsmith

Profile photo of JulieEllenJulieEllen
    Participant
    @julieellen

Dear Roofarmer
    http://www.valleykithomes.com.au-I have looked but not bought. They will send u a brochure and price list. You organise your own builder.
    JulieEllen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.