All Topics / Value Adding / PPOR Subdivision

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Ant42Ant42
    Participant
    @ant42

Hi guys. Great read on here, learning new stuff all the time. Got a question.

I have bben living at my PPOR for 15 months, and am currently thinking about subdividing the back yard in two, as its 900m2. Even if i sell it as a vacant block and live in the house still, do i have any CGT to worry about? With the funds i want to purchase another property for my future PPOR. Any help would be appreciated.

Anthony

Profile photo of gershalgershal
    @gershal

i looked into this about 2 years ago for a similar situation.

firstly i checked the ato website.

just spent the last half hour trying to locate the exact determination, without much luck.

i would not bet my life on it but i will recall my investigations from 2 years ago.

The purchase price of your property is taken into account.

Lets say it cost $500,000 3 years ago. Land was valued at $400,000 and house at $100,000

If you subdivide today! into 2 equal sized lots
    and retain the house at the front the cost of the land at the back is $200,000 plus any subdivision costs, lets say $10,000.

If you netted $300,000 on the sale of that block your capital gain would be worked on $90,000.

I am interested to know if the proportionate interest component for a mortgage held on the pre-divided block can be included in the cost base.

check out the ato website though!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.