All Topics / Help Needed! / Interest Only Loans

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of xonf5pxonf5p
    @xonf5p

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about a scalable means for me to purchase a number of properties, all positive income, without requiring a large amount of initial capital (which I don’t have). I’ve been thinking about using interest only repayment loans as it will keep my weekly repayments low whilst hopefully being lower than my weekly income. Has anyone had success using only interest only repayment loans. What are the pros and cons and pitfalls. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Most investors use IO loans. Especially if they have any non deductibe debt such as a PPOR loan.

You are on the right track here mate,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

3 year fixed rate – 6.85%

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Xon,

All our IP loans are I/O. When the PPOR loan is paid out (or had a big hit) we will reconsider our options then – but for now all I/O.

The other thing you can consider is take out the loans as I/O and then, if the time is right and it suits you, you can make additional payments so that you get stuck into debt level.

I/O provides you with the option – whereas P & I contract generally doesn’t.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of ashrickashrick
    Participant
    @ashrick

Hi xon,

While IO loan has its advantages, especially in term of tax benefits, let’s look at the other side of the coin.

What will happen if the property market takes a nosedive and prices fall by say 30%? Banks may recall the mortgages and require the borrowers to top up the 30% reduction in loan value. And the double whammy is you have to fork out more cash to compensate for lower rental income during a depressed property market.

Just a food for thought.

ashrick

Profile photo of stormbizstormbiz
    @stormbiz
    Originally posted by ashrick:

Hi xon,

What will happen if the property market takes a nosedive and prices fall by say 30%? Banks may recall the mortgages and require the borrowers to top up the 30% reduction in loan value.
    Just a food for thought.

ashrick

I’m pretty sure this is not the case with property now. Certainly with margin loans with the share market, but there was a detailed thread a few months ago where many people ‘I assume in the know’ stated banks can only start to call in a loan in the case of default, not simply by a fall in equity ratio (even if a negative occurs!).

More knowledgable members may want to back this up.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

interest only loans will allow you to pay absolute minimun ie. interest, alternatively a variable rate i/o will generally allow lump sum repayments at any time.

giving you more flexibility than many p&i loans.

cheers

Brendan Heagney
    Mortgage Broker
    07 3240 4815

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

When using interest only loans how does equity occur if none of the principal is paid off? Is it only in capital gains?

How then in uncertain times like these does the bank view your property portfolio?

Are people’s 11 second rule calculations all on IO loans?

I know I can, I know I can

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Yes your equity occurs with CG.

With P&I you would be surprised to see how little you are actually reducing the principle in the first few years anyway.

The bank will get the properties valued then if their is equity you can borrow against it. As simple as that.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

In short,

The great thing about IO is that it increases your weekly income as your repayments are alot less.

The downside to it is that after 25 or 30 years of the loan, you still owe the banks the same amount a what you bought it for – whether this be $100k or $300k.

Regards,
    George

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Lets put that downside in perspective Geo.

30 years ago my parents bought a waterfront home in Sydney complete with Boatshed and Jetty – my dream property. They sold it shortly after [grrr]

They paid just over $40K. Market Value for the time.

Today would be worth maybe $2M?

What would it matter if they still owed $40K?

My Grandmothers holiday house cost them $27K in the 70’s – now worth $450K+. Same thing.

Don’t forget that inflation is also working for you in this case.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Simon,

Although you’re right, 30 years ago is not the same as today or you can’t say that what happened over the past 30 years will happen over the next 30 years.

40 years ago, a friend of mine’s dad was offered 2 properties in Toorak for $10k that are probably worth a fewmillion now. but purchasing something now for $200k or $300k doesn’t mean it’ll go up to 2 million in 30 years time.

Secondly, even if it does go up that much in value, would someone want to wait that long before enjoying a comfortable life since its gobe up in value, its all tied up in equity – not in cash that you can use. Most ppl in 30 years will be old and depressed.

Kind regards,
    Geo.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have learnt that when people say “This time it is different” it generally isn’t. History does repeat itself – property is cyclical!

I do admit I used some good examples but even a poor example will show muliples of gain in that time period.

Any investor in the 20’s and 30’s is in a pretty good position for growth prior to them getting old [biggrin]

I guess this proves what all of us aged investors tell the youngsters…….

I wish I had started at your age!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by geo:

its all tied up in equity – not in cash that you can use.

Hi Geo,

Hmmmmmm – cannot use equity?

The lending world has significantly changed in the last two or three years and even a basic strategy such as a ‘reverse mortgage’ is readily available to asset rich cash poor people.

However the downside of the reverese mortgage is that the restrictions at the moment are quite significant.

There are also lo doc/no doc loans available to people who are asset rich cash poor or then there is the cashbond option (see http://www.navra.com.au) for people who are asset rich and cash poor.

All of these options enable an individual to live off their equity and retain the asset.

Then of course there is the sell a couple and live of rents possibility or even the staggered sell the lot and live off the proceeds option.

To say you cannot live off equity is incorrect – as to whether or not that option suits every individual that is a different matter.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Maybe if we keep telling them Simon; they might ACTUALLY start listening, and act now!!!

People often think I’m kidding when I tell them I retired 2 years ago (at 39) ignoring the fact that I started my journey when I was 18. That’s 21 years of watching my properties double, triple and quadruple in value to the point that I can (and sadly, do) sit here lazily without a financial care in the world, spending time in this forum for wayyyyyyyy too many hours!!! [blush2]

FYI Geo…..175K turned into 925K in 10 years, and that’s just one example!!! [biggrin] Stranger things have happened!!!

Jo

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo
    Originally posted by Monopoly:
    FYI Geo…..175K turned into 925K in 10 years, and that’s just one example!!! [biggrin] Stranger things have happened!!!

Amazing example Jo. I’ve never seen or heard of somthing going this much up in value but I won’t doubt you. Its estimated that property doubles almost every 10 years. This property you speak about has gone up almost 6 times in value.

Originally posted by Derek:
    All of these options enable an individual to live off their equity and retain the asset.

My understanding is that anyone may still use the equity in his/her place but will be owing to the lending institution moneys in the form of the re-borrowed equity. How can someone use the cash in their equity whilst still retain the full asset? Does not the lending institution own part of it?

Kind Regards,
    Geo.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by geo:

Originally posted by Monopoly:

Amazing example Jo. I’ve never seen or heard of somthing going this much up in value but I won’t doubt you. Its estimated that property doubles almost every 10 years. This property you speak about has gone up almost 6 times in value.

FYI Geo…(I know you believe me, just thought I’d simplify what may appear to be an impossiblity). I know of several such examples, and most of it is attributed to the herd mentality driving property prices through the roof!!!

It’s just over 20% growth rate per year x 10 (approx). Not uncommon, but in all fairness, we are not referring to the current market either. Using your example of the 10K property in Toorak now being worth 1-2 mill; it has experienced about the same growth rate, just over a longer period that’s all. Unfortunately, growth rates of 20% per year are not the norm in today’s current market, but that is not to say, we won’t ever see these sorts of figures again in the future. Time will tell!!! [whistle]

At the end of the day, regardless of property valuations made even by the most experienced property valuers, the true growth/value is not determined until the Auctioneer’s hammer falls; then you know EXACTLY what the property is worth, by how much the market is willing to pay for it!!!

Profile photo of cam245cam245
    Participant
    @cam245

Good Morning,

I joined yesterday and have been enjoying viewing many of the posts. There is some fine exchange of knowledge here it is a credit to the contributors. I will be spending some time here in the future.

I would like to take up the issue that ashrik raised of financiers calling up loans and the follow up question raised by stormbiz that said…

“I’m pretty sure this is not the case with property now. Certainly with margin loans with the share market, but there was a detailed thread a few months ago where many people ‘I assume in the know’ stated banks can only start to call in a loan in the case of default, not simply by a fall in equity ratio (even if a negative occurs!).”

I can tell you first hand that the bank can can call their loan back for ANY reason whatsoever.

Back in the late 80’s I borrowed $750,000 on 3 year bank bills IO from a major Australian bank which was 100% of the purchase price to buy the factory my printing business was situated in. The price was high but I thought it was a good buy because it would have cost me a lot more to move all my printing machinery to a lower priced factory anyway and I was intent on not renting anymore.

The market crashed within 2 years. The factory went from 750,000 to 520,000. Despite the fact that I had never missed a single payment PLUS assurances from the bank over the previous 6 months that there would be no problem re-newing the finance when it came due… when the bank bills came up for re-newal they tapped me on the shoulder for the shortfall.

Due to the recession my printing company was strugling but despite that it still had possitive cash flow and the bank knew it. So I asked (no I begged!) them to let it go and just re new on the basis that the value would rise once again in the future.

The bank in question was in major financial difficulty and was selling their own property holdings to secure cash and they said no and gave me 30 days to find the money which I was unable to do.

When I made an appointment to see several top executives of the bank at their head office and plead my case I was not treated like a good customer at all, and sensed immediatly that I was going to be opposition.

They simply told me to get the money or else and suggested I should go home and read my mortgage document which I did and it said the bank could call their loan for any reason even if all the payments were up to date.

When I couldnt get the shortfall the bank asked for the whole lot back in 30 days.

The rest is a much longer story than this and with help from friends in the printing and legal business I actually came out of it in not too bad condition but I want to make the point that you do not have to be in default for banks to act against you despite how keen and freindly they are when selling the funds to you.

Sorry for the long post as a first timer but I wanted to make that point based on first hand expeiience.

Cheers
    Craig

Profile photo of stormbizstormbiz
    @stormbiz

Hey Craig,

I haven’t made enough posts in here to be saying ‘welcome’ first time poster’ but I can say I’ve picked up alot of useful info in here over the last 6 months or so.

I also can’t tell you much on the topic except from what I read in here, so I went back and found the thread I was talking about…(It starts a little ‘energetic’ but eventually gets to the point!!)

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/10739/1.htmlsortfield=&sortorder=&SearchTerms=margin,call

Another thread was talking about a difference with residential and commercial loans with calls.

Doing a search will get you around the forum well.

Cheers

David

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

Bought my first property in 1975 for $ 18,000, all the neighbours thought I was paying too much as prices had just gone up from $ 14,000, I sold this property in 2001 for
    $ 638,000 and every one told the buyer he was mad and paid too much, other properties close by have now sold for
    $ 730,000.
    These prices have been the norn in many European countries for years and still going up, it will never stop.

Profile photo of agileagile
    Participant
    @agile

In Sydney the median house price is about 500 k. If prices were continue to double every 10 yrsthen in 20 years the average price for 3 b/r cottage in the suburbs would be 2 million dollars.

I wonder about the feasibility of this and whether residential property does get to point of simply being overpriced or at a stagnated price.

I don’t know either way; just thinking out loud.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.