All Topics / Value Adding / Granny Flat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gumshuu008gumshuu008
    @gumshuu008

Hi all

Has anyone got any experience with having a granny flat built behind their home and then sub-dividing and selling it off?

Are councils in Melbourne ok with this concept?

G [biggrin]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Gums,

The only way to know for sure is to ask the respective council in question, as there are differences from one council to the next.

Generally however, I would not imagine it to be a problem, after all, provided you satisfy all the requirements/legislation associated with this process, it is, at the end of the day, your land to do with as you see fit. Do bear in mind though that subdivision is a costly exercise, and I believe there are associated minimum size specs involved, so maybe it would be a better option to dual occ (and lease) instead; either way do your homework!!!

Good luck, [biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of tycoon_robtycoon_rob
    @tycoon_rob

What are the main difference btw dual occ and subdivision?

I own a corner block in glenroy 620m2, looking at putting up fence down the middle, & building a unit/townhouse at the back and renting it out. Cost of construction aprox $130K.+ ???.

would dual occ be cheaper?

robbo

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Robbo,

The difference between a dual occupancy and subdivision is the title/s applicable to the land. For example, the plans you have of building a unit/flat at the back of your property to lease out is fine and dual occupancy will cover this nicely, as both the unit and your current property remain on ONE SINGLE title, just that it has 2 (hence dual) properties on it. You cannot sell the unit separately because it is part of the same title your other property is on, hence leasing it is the only available option.

The subdivision of land means that you basically divide the land into parts, and each section is allocated its own title accordingly, which is ncessary should you wish to sell it (the land, or land & property) at a later stage.

Yes dual occupancy is generally cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Jo

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Hi Robbo,

building any sort of townhouse for $130k sounds highly ambitious. A typical project builder townhouse is now costing around $160 to $170k. I am told this is even higher on the east coast. The granny flat: rules differ from council to council – I was reading one council’s policy on it recently and basically you had to demonstrate a need for it as they didn’t want people to basically have a back door for increasing the suburb’s density. To actually create a subdivision (and I assume you would be doing a land subdivision) dont forget you have to provide separate utilities meters, sewer connections, power junctions, crossovers etc. If you were going down this path though, why build a granny flat which is basically a very small home? In which case I cant see why you would want to build the granny flat first – or do you plan a subdivision of buildings? ask the question of yourself – Who do you envisage buying a granny flat on a separate title? Perhaps start at the beginning and ask – What outcome are you trying to achieve from this project?

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

I suggest you visit your local council’s planning department (generally very friendly people). They will be able to give you some guidance on what you could do and council costs etc.

PM me if want details of a good architek in melbourne.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress.

hrm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.