All Topics / General Property / Property Mamagement

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of DomoDomo
    @domo

I am new to this site & I must say that it is well organized & there is lots of info.
    Now to my questions .I am ready to rent a property in Melbourne & want to employ a property manager , I have recived some info from a few eg glossy brochure stuff ( We are the best bla bla bla !!!).The thing that differs on the serface is the price eg 7% pluse 1.5 to 2 weeks rent for a letting fee ( negotiable ).
    Can anyone give me a guide as to what is a fair price to pay for managing 1 property & if there are any hints on how to select a property Manager.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Good PMs are worth their weight in gold. They’re certainly worth a premium. But some people dissagree with me on this. I reckon it’s a tough job and doing it well takes alot of skill. Last year I moved from a PM charging 7% to one charging 9%. The new one is amazing. And I’ve now got tenants!

How do you find a good one? Recommendations from other owners and tenants would be one way.

With the one I found, I just asked her why she thought she was worth a premium. I liked the confidence (cockiness) of her answer and she has lived up to it.

Scott

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Domo,

I’d say a good PM needs to be a skilled negotiator- it isn’t necessarily an easy job, and a PM can cop it from both tenant and owner (owners sometimes treat PM’s as their own little slaves).

I think a good Pm also knows how to treat tenants well. If I had a PM who spoke in a derogatory fashion about tenants, I wouldn’t tolerate it. I have, as a tenant, always known the PM’s of the properties I live in, and expect to be treated decently by them.

Think of your own personal style. Are you hands-on, organised, or even anal? Are you laissez-faire, laid-back, or slack? Let the PM know what you expect from them. If you haven’t told them you want to know immediately if there is some small repair needed, you can’t roar at them if they get it done as a matter of course.

As an owner, I have very little to do with my PM’s. They’re people with a job to do, and I am sure they don’t need me to be calling them up regularly to surveil them.

kay henry

Profile photo of DomoDomo
    @domo

Kay
    Thanks for the great advice.
    I have another question , assume the search for a PM is complete & an agreement on price has been decided , I assume a contract needs to be signed is there anything I should be looking for before I sign. eg I want to have the choice of changing PM’s without paying a penalty at any time I choose as I would like to be able to take control of my investment if I have to.

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Domo,

I believe that when there are no tenants in your IP the agreement between your and the PM is no longer binding. I have twice ditched PMs for too long a vacancy and had no problems.
    If you have to ditch a PM for lousy performance I would ammend the notice to quit the agreement to 1 month.

@domo

qwerty

Thanks for the responce , every bit of info helps.
    One of the most common things that people have to say in this forum is research , research , research….
    And I am at the research stage and appriciate any help. Hopefully at some stage I can help someone as well.

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi,

if I could just add to the previous comments — consider selecting an agent in the area where your property is located. Often intending tenants leave their details with an agent in the area they are interesting in renting in.

A good property manager should be able to provide you with information (hard data) regarding time taken to fill rental vacancies. Don’t just take their word for it.[angry2]

Don’t assume that once your property manager is in place, all you have to do is bank a cheque. You really do need to manage the process.

Regards,
    Helen [biggrin]

@domo

Thanks everyone for your input …[biggrin]
    I have been in contact with a number of PM’s & have made an appointment to see one .
    I based my decision on the PM being a good communicator which Kay has suggested. The first contact was via email & all info was clear & to the point & any questions I had were replied to quickly which hopefully indicates a high focus on customer service.

Plus this PM is close to my property which means the PM will have easy access. I live in a different suburb than my investment property & was considering a PM near my home location which may have been convenient to me but not to the property access. Thanks elilca7264.

Time to move forward [buz2]

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Domo
    It would be in your interests to interview more than one PM. They are usually pretty handy at interviews. Might clear things up if you spreadsheet all the items and costs on 3 PMs, see who gets all the ticks.
    The agreement should reward renewal of leases with long term tenants, not tenant turnover or tribunal appearances with bad tenants who should have been screened out by the PM in the first place. Avoid paying for ads, a good agency should have enough inbound enquiry every week. Ask for 4 weeks notice on the lease, the PM should know the advantages. Charge market rent, insist on PM finding good tenants, and look after them with fast repairs and maintenance by the PM.
    good luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@domo

Thecrest thanks for the tips , I need to give the aggrement some thought next.

The more research you do the more questions need to be answered.

Price !!!

All PM’s that I have communicated with have told me that the fee is negotiable.
    The Management fee plus a letting fee.
    Can someone please point me in the Wright direction ????
    When negotiating the fee should I try to get the letting fee down or the management fee ??
    What is a good way to start the negotiation ???[confused2]

I have narrowed my PM search to 2 so I am getting closer to making my decision.
    There is always risk involved but as long as we keep on moving forward things will happen.[cigar]

Participant
    @thecrest

Hey Domo
    You’re doing well. The ideal situation is to have good tenants who stay long term, look after the property, pay on time, and don’t bother your PM on little things, or become demanding. Encourage the PM to get & keep those type of tenants for you.
    So, discourage tenant turnover by reducing the profitability of tenant turnover for the PM, by reducing the fees the PM gets when changing tenants, such as fees for :

First let – 1 week’s rent.
    re-let – max 1/2 weeks rent, ( limit of one p.a. but $ nil for a re-let during 1 st year )
    condition reports ( $ nil )
    tribunal appearances ( $ nil )
    ads ( $30 max per re-let )
    periodic inspections ( $ nil )
    annual statements ( $ nil – push of a button ).

Fees charged to you should be :
    5%-6% + gst of rent collected, might have to pay 6% for your first property, but 5% for 2 or more.
    1/2 of lease preparation, $17, limit one p.a.)
    Twice yearly discretionary personal bonus to PM for achievement ( $100 cash each time ) for stability of tenants and low maintenance costs of property.

Remember, the licencee of the REA gets the profit from the rent roll & fees etc,, but, on a day-to-day basis, it’s the PM who chooses your tenants, keeps the maintenance costs down, keeps the tradies honest, collects rent, and takes an interest in your property, and protects your interests.
    Be firm, be hard, they do it all day long.
    cheers and good luck [biggrin]
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@domo

thecrest
    Thanks for responding to my cry for help.[biggrin]
    I always appreciate great advice , a push in the wright direction can make a huge difference.

I assume that the conditions that you have listed should be part of the contract , but how detailed should the description be
    eg : is ( periodic inspections ( $ nil ) ) ok or should it be something like
    ( periodic inspections minimum 3 per year
    ( $ nil ) ??????.

Do you think being very specific will put a strain on the relationship with the PM , the PM may think who the hell does this guy think he is a property investor he only has one property !!!!!

I will decide on the PM this weekend , I have a good feeling about one of them , so I will ask for the contract so that I can read it over.
    I will write up a list of the changes to the contract & see how I go.

I have spoken to a few people & they have advised me to look for a PM that changes 9% as they will do a good job because they charge more , what is your view on this ?

Participant
    @thecrest

It’s business, you don’t want a loose casual relationship or any grey areas, so be specific about what you want, have a specific agreement, get the best PM and at fair rates. The most expensive is not necessarily the best.
    Reward success afterwards, not just classy sales presentation up front. Keep the carrot until you get the cart where you want it.
    cheers
    crest133

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@domo

crest133
    Thanks for the advice.
    It’s time to read contracts [baaa]
    In the contract I will go for Black or White !!!!
    so that everything is clear…..

@domo

I am now looking at Exclusive Leasing and Managing Authority paperwork.
    I have been told by the PM that this is a standard from prepared by REIV. I have started reading the document & it seems that the important section is titled Level of Service from what I can make out this is where conditions are added such as
    condition reports ,tribunal appearances ads ect..

Is there any other part of this document that needs detailed attention ????
    My mission tonight is to read the document but that doesn’t mean I will understand it all !!![confused2]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Domo..the form is probably standard, however, by speaking to a few PM’s you will see what fees they charge for various bits n pieces…and whether yours is standard.

I beleive it’s “much” cheaper than over here in WA and the service there is ‘much’ better..

Then ‘negotiate’..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@domo

I have found a VICGOV site which has quite a bit of information.
    It has a section titled ( Being a Landlord )
    which covers what forms need to be completed plus Landlord obligation.
    I think it’s worth having a look.

http://www.land.vic.gov.au/land/lcnlc2.nsf/childdocs/-3DCD6E932629689A4A256A0A00194577-988051AEA8D7A5684A256A0A00186FA2?open

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.