All Topics / Help Needed! / Becoming a Property Manager

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ScullieScullie
    @scullie

Hi everyone, I am not yet in the position to invest in real estate, probably cos I spend too much on books, anyway, I am looking for a new job and came accros the idea of becomming a property Manager. Has anyone ever been one, can they give me any advice? I thought it might help me to build my own IP business/portfolio.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Gee Scullie, tough job.

We deal with hundreds of PMs in the course of our business – arranging inspections for tax Depreciation Schedules.

Average tenure seems to be around 18 months.

I’d say most PMs would breath a sigh of relief if they get through a day without having a run-in with an owner or a tenant.

Having said that, it’s the obvious way to enter the RE business.

Of the major groups, I believe Ray White in Qld and NSW have the best PM training and assistance.

If you’re in NSW, send me an e-mail and I’ll give you the e-mail address of the person who does all the PM recruiting for that state.

[email protected]

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

Hi Scullie,

PM is a great way to break into the RE buisness and get a grounding in the day to day running of an investment property. If your in Qld check out:

http://www.reiq.com.au/careerInfo/courses.htm

Our office has a rent roll of around 900 so we currently employ three PM’s to handle the owners, tennants and arrears. The upside is their job can be really rewarding (vendors sometimes send in hampers and chocolates to say thanks) on the flip side they have to deal with irrate tennants who are behind in rent etc.

If you want to go ahead with applying you can do the courses through TAFE or The REI of your particular state.

e x

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Scullie
    Been there done that, so I don’t mind warning anyone – definately the most hard won experience ever. My suggestion is to put a toe in the water before taking the plunge – how ? make arrangements to spend a few days with a PM doing property inspections and Tribunal appearances, the PMs would almost certainly appreciate the company. Inspections and Tribunal hearings are very enlightening. Inspections would give you the opportunity for lots of questions. Read the Residential Tenancies Act ad nauseum. It’s a start.

good luck
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi EMCDONALD
    Something doesn’t add up here.
    If the properties are meant to receive 4 inspections per year, then your 900 properties divided between 3 PMs means 100 properties per PM each month, seems a lot. Doesn’t add up, so do some properties miss out or does someone else do the inspections ?
    cheers [confused2]
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.