All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice on Melb suburbs on the go

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of FerrisFerris
    @ferris

Hi all,
    I am looking to buy a house in Melb to live in for a couple of years (FHOG) while doing it up before selling it (perhaps subdividing at same time). My question is who knows what suburbs (eastern Melb) are likely to kick more than others, or alternatively where I might be able to do some research.
    I have been renting in Camberwell for many years and have grow attached to this area, but $$$. Nearby would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance…

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day – whats your budget???

Profile photo of FerrisFerris
    @ferris

Sorry – did not put budget in.
    Hoping to spend no more than $400k. The less the better actually.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Ferris,

This article “names names”. I think though, that suburbs that have “lost value” can be the ones to look at. If you are looking at suburbs that have increased value, then you’ll be paying premium.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10294132%255E2862,00.html

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Ferris,

Welcome to the forum!!!

There are many areas in Melbourne that for years have been undervalued, and as such appeal to FHO buyers such as yourself. However there aren’t too many eastern suburb areas that haven’t already had some level of good CG. Those in the proximity to Camberwell (as you so rightly noted) are very costly however they not impossible to acquire, with some in the $350+ (excl. stamp duty, legals, or taking into account your FHOG). It really is a matter of researching the areas and property types right for you.

Try: http://www.realestate.com.au and check out the properties for sale (ie. Camberwell) and leave the “surrounding suburbs” checked, so you can see other homes nearby. Don’t forget to look at “Sold properties” which (in some cases) will indicate the price property was sold for.

Or http://www.domain.com.au (same thing) and take a look at the “Suburb Snapshot” which will provide more info about the area you are reearching.

You can also try http://www.reports.rpdata.com.au for a guide to how the area of research is faring (population, median prices etc); however Vic suburbs are currently uanvailable, but I believe they will soon be restored.

Talk to REAs in the areas of interest, check local newspapers, and check both the properties for sale, as well as those “sold” to give you an idea of what people are paying.

There is a great deal of information about RE out there i.e. books, magazines and seminars. Most of good value, some total waste of time (and/or money) but generally if you are keen enough, information can be readily accessed.

All the best,

Jo

Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day – in the eastern suburbs i would stick with any of the suburbs along the belgrave/lilydale train line. from box hill all the way out to liliydale heaps of older type houses primed to be done up. prices have already surged in these areas but developers like you are buying up/doing up and subdividing all the way along. if you can move out a bit further places like baronia/bayswater etc you kind find older dwellings on huge blocks perfect for subdividing. the closer toward boxhill the smaller the blocks, the higher the value and the less liely you are to find a cheaper bargain.

i reckon over the next 10 years proximity to a train line, churches (eatsern suburbs is the melbourne bible belt croydon area) and hospitals (box hill, mitcham, maroondah) is the way to go for the type of thing yr looking for…

but then again its not new news, the small developers have been eating these areas up recently but still room to buy..

ps – 350-400 is entry level box hill through to mitcham

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

boronia just lost about 15% of its value, rogue (35k according to that article). It’s so far out is it still considered eastern suburbs?

aussie- waddya think of the bible belt suburbs? In sydney, they’re awful (but growing).

kay henry

Participant
    @aussierogue

hi kay – yep read abt boronia. all i can say is statistics and damned statistics. does anyone really blve this stuff..

there isnt a suburb in australia you would bet 100 bucks on the direction, in the next report produced by one of these infamous property monitors. seriously it is so heavily dependant on the sale of a few larger type properties or on the other side ‘no sale’ of a larger type properyt, that one really has no idea what is going on unless you are on the ground all the time…..

there should be a standard that all these guys work on ie

3 bedroom house, 700 sqm block, 2 bathrooms, 20 years old. now then what is this example house worth in any suburb at any one moment in time. that would then provide us with some sort of common ground with wch to evaluate!!

the outer eastern suburbs of melbourne have always had heaps of churches and bible colleges etc. this is important for many including the older generation who look toward community (lonliness) and god (for answers – because investing didnt quite cut it!!) so thats why i reckon there still good buys…

cheers

@monopoly

You’re spot on Aussie,

Sale price range is what is important, not statistics on median prices!!!

For example, I bought a property in Mornington. But to say it has lost $115K is crazy. There are properties priced at 170+ through to 2.5million, which ones lost the 115K???

My husband works for The Age, and you should hear some of the stories about where some of their statistics come from; it’s laughable!!!

If investors use one source of statistics to gauge market trends they are not playing the game right. To do this, (as you said Aussie) GET ON THE GROUND….and see for yourself!!!

Jo

Participant
    @aussierogue

i heard the age property editor was getting kickbacks from agents. dont worry guys we cant get sued for defamation its part of the public domain in the recent case against the age for sexual discrimination.

@monopoly

[lmao] I know nuzink!!!!! [winking]

Participant
    @aussierogue

just to further my idea on getting a more uniform way of appraising the market this is what they should do

– standard house to work on
    – pool of people representing agents, buyers, statisticians, property monitors etc to every month send in what they think is happening in a certain suburb.
    – the pool should be a cross section of all interested parties and no loby group shld be stronger than the other.
    – doesnt have to rely on sales figures alone
    – can be based on a number of criteria such as sales, clearance rates, mortgage figures, building approvals etc etc.

its a tough one but there must be a better way…

@monopoly

True Aussie,

There has to be a more standardised way of gauging trends to reflect some form of “accuracy” but these people are not statistical experts, heck they’re not even RE experts!!!

The sad part, it’s not that there is no truth in what they are saying, it’s that people ACTUALLY believe their figures as “absolute”!!! People who use their statistics and bank on them; now that’s hard to believe, but true!!!

Jo

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Yes maybe a panel of monitoring organisations could stratify the market into, for e.g., 2 bed houses, 3 bed houses, 4 bed houses, 5 bed houses, 1 bed flats, 2 bed flats, 3 bed flats, etc etc and run a normal statistical analysis for each strata, and the medians and other measures would be a bit more meaningful.

Inside each strata they can look at variances for different factors such as land size, zoning, age or condition of house, construction Bv/weatherboard and they should be able to come up with a regression analysis/lnear equation to hopefully predict the value of any property shouldn’t they?

Surely developers have this down pat.

Cheers
    Skippygirl :)

Participant
    @aussierogue

good point skippy girl – sounds complicated doesnt it… but we have economists trying to predict, provide info on subjects much more complicated than the property market…

thats why these statisticians spend 4 years at university…

hehe

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I’d look at Box Hill along the Mont Albert border (Elgar Road) I used to live there, and there’s always council talk of rezoning a western slab of Box Hill into Mont Albert, which would make the value jump overnight… kind of like when bits of Mulgrave became Wheelers Hill and some of Ferntree Gully became Lysterfield. Box Hill is also adjacent to Burwood and Surrey Hills, which are another 2 excellent suburbs. If you buy in the right spot you’ll also be 5 minutes drive away from the Burke Road shops in Camberwell which is another plus. I’d be looking in the area bordered by Elgar Road, Canterbury Road, Station Street and Whitehorse Road. The suburb itself has levelled off after some solid growth (like a lot of places…) IMHO I could buy a house similar to the one I sold in 2002 for a similar price/similar features.

There’s a lot of development around Box Hill in terms of giving Box Hill Central a facelift and improvement to shed its seedy tag as a haven for drug dealers (around the train and bus stations mainly)

It’s also got some of the best Asian restaraunts in Melbourne IMHO.

You can get a nice renovated house with a bit of character, close to parks, shops, schools, public transport etc for around 400k easily.

Blackburn South is another good spot to look at.

Cheers
    Jamie

Profile photo of millsymillsy
    @millsy

you can get into blackburn, mitcham, nice places in north ringwood and also vermont etc with that sort of money. I believe that they are solid areas, 15 mins from town in the next couple of years once freeway completed. not bad hey!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.