All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Is the interest deductable?….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

If one borrows money (say,on a personal loan),& claims to borrow it,it is for a personal reason (say,a car),but once you get the money use it for investment purposes (say a deposit for an i.p.)- & it can be easily proven that’s where the money went-is the interest then deductable?
    Same if u borrow on a “home loan”,but then use funds for an i.p,is interest,etc still deductable? (even tho the loan will state it’s for something else?)[confused2]

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Misty,

My understanding is that it’s what the money is borrowed for that’s important, not where it came from.

So as long as it’s used for income-producing purposes, then I believe it should be deductible.

But as always, check with a good accountant.

GP

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I agree with GP on ths one.

It is the use of the money – not what you had on the application form. But as always read below my signaure.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.