All Topics / Help Needed! / are bad tenants more likely when self managing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

Did someone experience to attract bad tenants when there is a privat phone number in the advertisment.

Somehow I belief that tenants with bad records are more likely trying to rent from private than from an agency.

Jsandso

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I tend to believe that investors who manage their own properties tend to get bad tenants.

Unless the person is very experienced in property managers and knows how to check a tenents past history and has access to the different rental databases.

Bad tenants probably do not go to agencies as they know they will get caught out. So they surf the papers for private landlords.

It seems to me MOST (not all) bad tenant stories on ACA and today tonight are from private landlords.

I personally like having a property manager, they do regular inspections and I got someone to blame if things go bad. But you need to manage them. They work for you so you got to hassle them and make sure they do regular inspections etc.

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I’d have to say we attract a better class of renter by managing privately. It’s just a job to a PM buts its much more to us. We weed out undesirables at first contact – people have to meet our standards (which are high) to get the rental.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Given we’ve done both, even a good PM is no match for a ‘good’ bad tenant.

Doing it yourself is no more risky because if need be you can ask an agent to locate the tenant for you, for a small fee (a week’s rent or so).

Best of both worlds…..that said, we’re locating our own tenants – just replaced two sets of ‘bad’ tenants located by a very good PM when the properties were under 3rd party management. We’ve had no trouble finding good ones, though time will tell ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

jsando,

Not sure I completely understand your question- the bit about the tenants advertising with a number- where did you find the ad? in a newspaper saying “wanted to rent- house” or something? Anyhoo, if I’ve read your Q wrongly, the answer will reflect that :)

Not all prospective tenants will go to a real estate, I guess. In the time that I rented, I never found a house through a RE. I would hear that a house was coming up for rent via friends or other tenants. I cannot remember, in the 6 years I rented before I got my current rental accommodation, approaching a RE for a house. Having said that, I still became a leaseholder of every place I’ve lived in.

A lot of people will make private ads if they have specific needs. They might be moving to a place for work or something, and just advertise for a house to establish themselves before they get there. There’s heaps of those types of ads “Need house in September” type of thing.

If you feel concerned, or you feel that you might not have the skills to do the property management work, just get a tenant through a RE. Or, you can locate these tenants through their ad, and then get a RE to manage it for you. It’s cheap to get a PM, saves a lot of hassle, and in my opinion, they rank up there as number 2 in making the whole RE game successful (Number one is the tenant, of course!)

I doubt private advertisers are necessarily scammers. If dodgy folks wanted to live somewhere and avoid being checked out, they can just move into a shared household via the thousands of ads all over accommodation boards at uni’s, or on poles all over major cities, or in shared accomm ads in newspapers.

The blacklist will only exist for people who have held leases or had their nameas on it jointly. There would be thousands of people who have rented and yet never taken the responsibility of a lease. They might just move into room of a a place, cause their ruinous destruction, and then move on :)

Get a PM, I reckon :))

kay henry

Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

Kay,

what I’ve tried to ask is if I’m as landlord put an ad in the paper looking for a tenant and put my privat phone number in and no real estate agency name or number, would it be more likley to get calls from bad tenants on a black list?

I do believe so, but would like to hear other peoples experience.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi jsandso,

I understand your question and would like to answer simply by saying, not necessarily. That is, I have had both good and bad tenants, and not always as the result of doing the screening myself.

Basically, there are no guarantees of attracting good or bad tenants either directly or through a PM, and as already stated, I have done both, with mixed results. I do tend to agree with the views shared by most here, that going through an independant party (ie. a PM) tends to remove you (the landlord) from the picture somewhat, and therefore can make things alot easier in both the short and long term.

What I would enourage/emphasise however, is not to include your home phone number, but rather put your mobile number in the ad.

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. If moderators intend to edit my or anyone else’s posts, please have the courtesy of advising me/them accordingly. It was a practise I employed and would appreciate the same in return. Many thanks!

Profile photo of david e-noosadavid e-noosa
    @david-e-noosa

True story, happened to a friend of a friend of mine [laughing]

Years back I put an advert into a newspaper for a rental property I was managing. Now I rarely had to advertise rentals as the walkin enquiry was so high it was annoying at times. However this time I did and instead of placing our franchise logo below the paper just ended the advert as …. call David on 6774878942… (well it had my real phone number here)

I was amazed at the number of people that phoned who when made aware it was a RE agency that either ummm’d and ahhh’d or just hung up. Some said quickly they would ring back but never did.

So do I think you will get the dregs, yes I do unless you are experienced as some who have commented here obviously are in sifting.

A comment that made me smile was “even a good PM is no match for a ‘good’ bad tenant” how true that is.

Happened to a friend of a friend of mine.

David J
    Licenced Agent/Sales Manager

http://www.e-noosa.com.au
    [email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.