All Topics / Help Needed! / What a tenant wants

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by Sonja:

One thing to be careful of with evaporative A/C is that there should be a pipe that runs from the unit to the guttering. This is because there is a concentrated amount of salt in the water that is dumped when the unit is shut down. This can lead to rust problems both in and around the unit as well as the roof.

Hi Sonja,

We used to have the pipe configured so that the waste water could be put onto the garden.

A tap fitting at the end of the outlet pipe and connected to a hose which could be shifted around the garden as required.

The salt effect is minimal when used this way and also saved the guttering from constant exposure to ‘salty water’ and thus saved maintenance bills.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

yack – and this must be a historic moment – i agree with you 100 percent!!! “a tenant wants value for money.”

Absolutely.

I’m hoping my future tenants are going to want a combination heat lamp/extractor fan in the bathroom (cost $300 incl installation) as it’s winter and it’s near the snow…..and I’m just putting one in one of my properties…

i think tenants like trendy but not too trendy places. Such as warm neutrals rather than garish colours. I am quite comfortable with garish myself (hehe) but then again i’m not the average tenant…so i tone it down for them. I use cream, white, coffee, navy blue for feature walls kind of colour scheme. Tenants don’t want anything that clashes with their own decor – you don’t know if they will have black leather couches or floral browns or red cotton. so your ‘blank canvas’ should appeal to as many as possible. i think a good colour scheme (or rather, neutral) hides a multitude of sins, as it’s so rare to find a well -decorated rental properties. i think it’s the thing that’s given my properties an edge when quite frankly they don’t really have any other sort of edge! hahahahahahaaaaa

Also tenants like fences….they like garden sheds. these are two requests I’ve had in the past. they like good locks…they like taps that don’t drip etc – i.e. well maintained properties. they like low maintenance gardens – and so will you when you realise how little tenants do.

I once didn’t purchase a property as an investment, as it had a rose garden. Looked great and brilliant, but way too high maintenance for a tenant. Yeah, i could have bought it and ripped them out, but i chose to leave that deal for someone who would appreciate the owners’ love of roses. it’s not like there weren’t heaps of other deals out there!!

oh yeah, they like insulation, though they won’t realise/notice that unless they have lived in an uninsulated place….

they like value…no matter how nice or crummy your place, there will always be a nicer one as well as a crummier one. but how yours compares price-wise to the other nicer/crummier ones will depend on how much your tenant wants it!!!

joy to the world

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks everyone for helpful replies.

Also, as I am purchasing new stove and hotwater which was connected to bottled gas, I have been advised to convert to electric. (Bottled gas can be very expensive so I am told).

Based on the fact that location is hot and dry most of the year – my updated priority list

1. Airconditioner
    2. Heating
    3. Clean functional stove
    4. Hot water system (adequate capacity for family)
    5. Security (locks and possibility security doors)
    6. Low maint. garden.

Also, was advised by insurance co. that they would not insure property unless I have locks on windows.
    Cheers [biggrin]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Marisa,

Agree that HWS on bottled gas is very expensive. Our PPOR was set up this way and we were going through a bottle of gas a month, at city prices that was $58 a month. Often country prices for bottled gas are higher, the bottle we just purchased for rural IP was $77.

On PPOR we got rid of gas HWS after the 3rd bottle of gas and since then a bottle has lasted 6 months and still not empty (only used for hotplate now). Difference in usage is amazing. Thankfully out IP had electric HWS already on.

I think you tenant will appreciate not having to purchase a bottle of gas a month.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Marisa,

You probably would have thought of this, but fly screens on windows are essentials, I think.

kay henry

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks PK, thanks for that info, I am very happy that we are converting. I have also been told that these gas bottles get stolen.. would you believe this!!!

Hi Kay
    Did I think of flyscreens…………[blink] I dont have flyscreens on my own home.
    Though I was told by the guy renovating that flyscreens are very important and they unfortunately all need cleaning. That’s my next job.
    Cheers, Marisa

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

A general comment on the topic.

Soemthing we always keep in mind is that if the property looks good tenants are more likely to keep it in good maintenance.

Rent out a slum & you get slum tenants.

Back to painting one of our units tomorrow ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of futurewealthfuturewealth
    @futurewealth

Marisa

currently a renter and have also been a residential landlord of some 300 properties not sure what water restrictions are like over there but one of the best systems I had set up with the properties I managed was ensuring the L/L paid an additinal allowance on the excess water, this encouraged the tenat to maintain the yard which in turn protects your investment. agree with all other comments posted as well, I like to think of it as would I live there if not why should I ask someone else to

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.