All Topics / General Property / Help Needed (Urgent)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of viralkviralk
    @viralk

Investors, We have just bought an house and there is an existing tenant into that house and it was rented directly through the owner. After settlement, we gave her an option to pay agreed rent or vacate the house. My agent tried to contact her every day but she is not responding. We had to issue eviction notice (14 days) term.
    It’s been five weeks after settlement and she may vacate the house may next week or so. My question is, can we collect the rent for past five weeks after settlement. I am asking the same rent what she was paying before. No documents have been signed between us and the tenant. Please help – I have never come across this situation before.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Yes, you would be entitled to rent at the previous arrangement, however establishing what that arrangement was may prove tricky.

Also, without a condition report who’s to say what condition the property was in when the tenant moved in.

May be better to offer a cash incentive (or perhaps offering a discount on the rent owing??) for moving out in exchange for gettin gthe house back in a tidy condition.

Yes – you could up and down trying to enforce your legal rights, but my experience is that this does very little to work towards a speedy outcome.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.