All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Can I claim this finanial year?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Getting ThereGetting There
    @getting-there

Hello everyone,
    I posted this in “Help Needed” but i think it may be better suited in this section.
    I purchased an investment property in August 2003 and are going to have it available for rent end of July 2004. The house needed renovations as it was a sleeping beauty. Substancial structual work has been done so and the interest payments alone have reached 5 figures. Ive been advised by my accountant that i will not able to claim expenses, depreciation, interest, etc because it was not rented or ready for rent during this finishing financial year. Is this totally true or do i have other options??

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Getting There

It’s true unfortunately. Is there no way you could make it available now? Advertise as available now, see if you get any prospects….

They may take one look – and say, no way, not fit to live in, but at least it would have been available…. although I think you could still only claim for the time it was ‘available’..

As was mentioned in response to your other post, the interest and other costs would be added to your ‘capital base’ when it comes to selling…

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Yes, I seem to remember the “to let” sign at the front of this place during renovations…………….if you get my drift……..[biggrin]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

qwerty, I reckon I might have seen it too. Had a look inside, but didn’t think I’d want to live there at the moment……

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Getting ThereGetting There
    @getting-there

I like the sign bit, but i have heard neibours are investigated. I guess i better see what the accountant recommends depending on the info “I” give him. Thank you all.

Profile photo of maniyakmaniyak
    @maniyak

If you were building a house on vacant land with the intention of renting it (ie earning income), then you may be able to claim interest and outgoings even though there is no rent (yet). Does this apply to you, maybe. Go to the ATO site and look up the “Steel” case. There is a final ruling on this subject. Read up and then show your accountant. If he doesn’t know about the Steel case, get another accountant.[evil5]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.