All Topics / General Property / Country Case Study

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I thought I’d go over and eke a bit of information out of my Father (it’s like trying to get blood out of a stone) but he must have been in a good mood so he let me get a bit of information out of him. I told him I wanted to do a case study of all the details to do with his house renovation and all the costs involved. “ I asked him is I could ask him a few questions” He said yes I could do that and I progressed to ask him all the questions about the property. Though I new quiet a bit about what was being done! Because I have been helping him at curtain stages, I did not know much about what he had payed to get the things! Dad does not talk about financial matters. And filled out the Buyer Beware Template Analysis sheets. And later calculated it on my web page computer.

Just quickly Dad owns a block of ex elderly units (5) he purchased some ten years ago. The government was getting rid of them and building new ones. But that’s another thread. On each side of the flats were a paddock blocks 60x 120 metres.
    It’s in a small town of 400 people but in the centre of two metro towns of 13,000 and 30,000 appro pop. He asked the person who owned the block who he new really well, if he could buy the block and payed him $1,000, that’s right wipe your eyes and try and believe that ( I was standing there in disbelief myself) , (it was $1,000 dollars) it was probably purchased eight years ago. Now to the details of the case study and this is the prices he payed for things and services and what happened in the last eight to twelve months till 06/2004.

Found a good sound two bedroom, hard wood built home, tin roof, that needed to be moved off a country farm 50 kays away, the house was a problem for the people because no one wanted it there (it was supposed to be done up but they never did it), it was time the house just had to go. He negotiated $6,000 for the purchase of the house. And the big cost $27,000 was for the delivery of the house onto the block next to the Units and complete restumping and levelling.

All payed for with cash
    $6,000 Property Purchase Price
    $27,000 Removal and relocating and restumping.
    $1,000 for electric’s and services because the electrician is a Nephew of my fathers.
    $1,000 for all the new hot water cylinder and pipes connected
    $1,000 for new second hand bull nose veranda.
    $1,000 for new cement driveway.
    $1,000 for carport
    $1,000 for paint and plaster.
    $1,000 for furniture, second hand and in good condition ( it will be fully furnished)
    $1,000 for Council sub-divide and paper work etc.

He is also under a contract of $4,000 if he completes the house in the specified time, or he can get an extention, This $4,000 if given back to him, which he is confident it will. the total house costs will be $41,000.

Total time worked on house – Full weekends for 10 months so far – and there’s a lot more to do probably 70% done– mainly all inside is done and probably all will be finished in a few months say, Oct.

Below is the figures when put thru the online calculator.

11 Second Solution:
    Rent = 130
    Occupancy rate ‘3 Weeks’ = 94.23 Percent
    Solution = $61250.00
    Asking price = $41000

Closing costs:
    Deposit 100 Percent = $41000.00
    Legal fees = $800
    Stamp duty = $98.00
    Mortgage app fees = $0
    Mortgage insurance = $0
    Valuation fees = $0
    Other borrowing costs = $0
    Clean up costs = $0
    Inspection costs = $0
    Other costs = $0
    Total closing costs = $41898.00

Mortgage details:
    Loan Principle and Interest = $0.00
    Interest rate = 7.5 Percent
    Term = 25 Years
    Weekly mortgage repayments = $0.00
    Total repayments for life of loan = $0.00

Annual costs:
    Management fees 0 Percent = $0.00
    Letting and advertising = $0
    Body corp fees = $0
    Rates = $800
    Utility rates and fees = $0
    Insurance = $350
    Miscellaneous costs = $0
    Land tax = $0
    Maintenance 7 Percent = $445.90
    Other ownership costs = $0
    Total annual costs = $1595.90

Summary:
    Total annual rent = $6370.00
    Total annual mortgage = $0.00
    Total annual costs = $1595.90
    Total annual cashflow = $4774.10
    Total funded costs = $41898.00
    Risk free return = $1675.92 Bank interest rate of 4 Percent.
    Annual Cash On Cash Return = 11.39 Percent
    Cashflow Positive Weekly (CPW) = $91.81

Online Positive Cashflow Financial Analysis Calculator.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Good on him! [biggrin]Also what state are you in and what are the fees for moving a house $500 per kilometer etc. – I have no idea. I’ve got relly’s that are very interested in this method and your feedback would be great appreciated and immensely valuable. Thankyou. [thumbsupanim]

G7

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

The balloon on your website really turn me off. I recommend you turn that function off. It’s just a suggestion. The website look really good.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I refresh this! Yes i realize it could have been annoying. But it was only on there for three days! Off now [biggrin]. I hope you keep enjoying it, and thanks for the compliment.

I really don’t know what the charges were a kilometre. But I know it was very dear. In fact that was the dearest part. Get that a lot cheaper and i rekon make a lot more money!

Victoria – I can ask what exactly was the freight price and or divide it by the kilometers traveled.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Great post, it’s going to help me a lot. Great website too, congratulations, love the calculator, been looking for one like yours. Thanks a lot.
    cheers [specool]
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of YCYC
    Participant
    @yc

Hi,

I’m just wondering how would you know how much you can rent the house in your calculation? Is it the average rate in town? And are you sure if you can get a tennant after the whole thing is finished? In a town of 400 people I’m not sure what’s gonna happen after all that… But don’t look at this comment as negative feedbacks, i’m just curious (seriously) about buying properties in the rural area and would really like to get more information on that, including whether people tend to rent or buy houses, and whether tennants tend to change houses like some city dwellers.

Thanks a lot!!

Profile photo of YCYC
    Participant
    @yc

In addition, is the population growing, and has there been any reason why people will come and rent houses there? such as Tourism/Mining/Others business going on there?

Y.C.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Well, there is a shearer who has been living in the units next door with there son, who want to rent the place, these shearers rent (some) of the units and rent them all year round even when there not there six months. Because they dont want to loose them! They are going to leave there son in the unit and they are going to move into the house a permanent for probably a few years.

There’s been people nocking on the door, so to speak to want to rent the house.

Yes there has been a mine development going on 27 kays away from the town. And also since I had a descussion with my mother, she says there are another 90 familes moving to the Hamilton region, they are a religios group. And they are buying up big, i mean the bigger classy houses like the doctors places and solicitors.

I have actauly made a mistake in those calculations. The delivery costs were 17 thousand. Thought it sounded a big big. So I need to reprint the numbers when i get a chance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.