All Topics / Opinionated! / Channel 9 – Sunday Show – 13 June 2004

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Did anyone catch the Sunday Show on Sunday 13 June where they spoke about Superannuation and the property market.

Thier premise was basically that since most peoples superannuation is in their PPOR and as the population matures more people are going to sell thier PPOR and move to cheaper homes by the sea and to lifestyle towns away from the major cities.

So its gotta be good news for those who invest in country towns and cities.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Yack,

Let’s not kid ourselves (and I know you won’t because you have a strategy similar to me)… self-funded superannuants (as opposed to govt pensioners) are NOT going to be moving to your average country town. Sea changers and lifestyle seekers are going to be moving to places that are almost as exxy as their regular city homes.

There will be some market for other “lifestyle” places- such as golf course apartments (and I am not just saying his because I have one[blush2] and other places of leisure. I really don’t think the self-funded will be moving to country towns, unless those places are like Lorne etc- which are also hugely exxy.

The prices of property may change, but superannuants are not going to be isolated and away from major services and hospitals etc. Your average non-bourgeois country town will still maintain the same demographic, I believe.

kay henry

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I agree. In addition to sea chnagers they were referring to inland lifestyle towns eg. Daylesford that have services.

I suppose they made the assumption some people are sitting on a $600k PPOR and downgrade to a $300k PPOR.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.