All Topics / General Property / Property Data – 10 and 20 yr – Property v Shares

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

The argument over shares or property – Now we are getting some data. And with Property you can leverage easier than shares.

As Australia’s sharemarket hit a fresh record high yesterday, the Australian Stock Exchange revealed that, in spite of the recent fall in home prices, the property market had outperformed shares over the last 10 and 20-year periods

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058916613.html

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

I subscribe to a share trading forum, you should see what they say about property investors ![happy3]

I think when you have a tried and tested system you can make money out of both….

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Can you post a few? I would to see what they say?

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

This is a really futile argument. One never invests in the sharemarket (apart from the lazy buggers who invest in index funds), they invest in individual companies…likewise with property.

FWIW…

It all depends on the skills and attributes of the individual investor as to which is better for him/her. People done extrordinarily well in both…

Though for the average slob who refuses to put the required effort in, property is probably an easier and safer bet.

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen
    Originally posted by wayneL:

Though for the average slob who refuses to put the required effort in, property is probably an easier and safer bet.

I would have thought that trading shares would have been the easier option; just get a broker or whoever to do all the work hehe. It all depends on the angle of property investing the individual takes as well… depending on your investment technique with properties, it can be quite a strenuous and labour intensive endeavour. [blush2] I agree with property being the safer bet though.

(a person who bought shares in Microsoft back in the day would be laughing at all of us right now… haha).

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

HI Guys

We all knew that the property market has been out performing the stockmarket, it was just some diehard stock investors (who see it as some sort of football game and they barrack for the stockmarket) who didn’t want to accept it. Perhaps i’m being harsh on them and they were just ignorant. They are the ones who would never acknowledge that property was the way to go. And i stress was, that data is historical data.

Finaly even the ASX has acknowledged this fact. And Yack this is apart from any leverage (well pointed out).

Alright that fact is out of the way, what is more important for us now is what will the future be ? i ask this question for us to think over i’m not wanting to start debate.

regards westan

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni
    Originally posted by Supa Freak:

I subscribe to a share trading forum, you should see what they say about property investors ![happy3]

I think when you have a tried and tested system you can make money out of both….

what is the link to the forum
    thanks

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

The last 3 yrs have been great for property. Take that off and i think you find that shares out performed property. Shares have only really gained back there loss in the last 15 months. A similar thing was done when “money” was on tv and shares marginally outperformed property.

In 3 yrs time could be a bit of a reversal as to what is the better performer.

I do agree property has way better leverage. People can see it and it makes them sleep better etc. Just depends what you can handle really.

Also a boom in either hides fundamental mistakes made by both types of investors, for example holding and hoping whilst equity/capital is diminishing whilst returns could be better elsewhere.

Everything cycles just depends which bike you want to be on, the one going uphill or the one going downhill.

By liking both shares and property can give a better all round view of how the different market forces affect either of them.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi all,

Caught this article in Jan 25th 2004 edition of the Age. Thought it may be of interest to the discussion. Once again there is no mention of the leveraging advantages of property and as someone else pointed out to me – nor is their any apparent recognition of renovations, building renewals etc.

2004: property or shares?

January 25, 2004

Richard Webb looks at whether stocks or housing will come out on top this year.

For the past five years, Australian property has outperformed shares by a country mile.

House prices have risen at an annual rate of 17 per cent while shares produced an investment return of less than half that: a little over 7 per cent when you add in dividends.

This house price boom attracted investors and resulted in a disproportionate amount of investment money going into property. By last year, almost half the houses sold were bought by property investors – a record level.

Yet, research by AMP Henderson chief economist Shane Oliver shows that since 1926, the performance of these two investment asset classes has been almost identical – property has risen at an annual rate of 11.9 per cent, while shares gained on average 11.8 per cent.

Further, Dr Oliver found that property had sneaked ahead of shares only in the past couple of years because of the latest property bubble.

As we entered 2004, there were clear signs the housing bubble may have started to deflate – auction clearance rates began to slump, the number of people seeking housing finance started to fall, and the spruikers of highly speculative inner-city apartments all but disappeared.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

@waynel

Median property price vs All Ordinaries Index…why they cannot be compared.

It’s apples and oranges folks.

With property, only raw selling price is taken into consideration. There are a myriad of expenses and capital expenditures which are not accounted for in this raw data.

Lets take the example of a hypothetical single property which by an extraordinary stroke of luck, qualifies as “THE” medain priced property in Australia.

Lets say it was purchased in 1999 for $200k and just sold yesterday for $400k. A compound return of between 18% and 19% per annum…and a 100% return all up.

Ummmm…but we must deduct a few things….maintenance, repairs, rates, renovations, improvements, transaction costs (we will ignore interest charges as we can gear shares and this will be payable on shares also) etc.

So this property may have had tens of thousands spent on it over that four year period…certainly several thousand…and perhaps even six figures. But this is something we cannot know as is is not revealed by the raw sales figures.

So true return could be *substantially lower.

Now to shares and the All Ordinary Index.

The Allords is an average of stock prices for the largest 500 publicly listed companies. But a proportional weighting is given according to the capitalisation of the company.

In other words the biggest 10-20 companies will completly dominate the Allords. The 400th largest company could go up %300 in one day and the Allords would hardly budge.

Now the largest companies are also, by definition the most mature companies, and widely regarded as having the most limited growth prospects.

In other words the diligent share investor who is looking for capital gain, will avoid these large companies and concentrate on small to medium sized companies with growth prospects.

As an example, I have a contact who has a documented and verifyable capital gain of just under 30% per annum *compounded over the last 21 years. The silly duffer doesn’t believe in leverage…but thats his problem.

So don’t get too smug about the figures released above. They do not represent reality.

Another factor to consider is that the Allords is not adjusted for the payment of dividends. So a certain percentage of value is stripped out of the average by the payment of these dividends. If all companies were able to retain dividends the current value of the All Ordinaries Index would be quite a bit higher by a few percent per year compounded.

I am not saying shares are a better investment, just presenting an alternative reality. Some truely amazing returns are available from both property and shares. It is up to the individual to operate his investment business as they see fit.

As pointed out above there are other factors to consider…the amount of leverage available etc.
    but bear in mind that you CAN leverage shares also.

Cheers

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I like Dolf De Roos comparisons of Shares and Property in his Rich Dad Book..

Agree WayneL..Apples and Oranges and benefits in both, Shares i think require a bit more Knowledge

I’m more IP baised..

[fear]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Some would say Property market would outperform shares market and vice versa, but the reality is depend on what property or shares you buy.

If you buy AMP a few years back and comparing to buying property in Sydney then you know which one do better. But if you buy property in a none performance area comparing to performance shares then……

Why not do both?

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

@waynel
    Originally posted by JetDollars:

Some would say Property market would outperform shares market and vice versa, but the reality is depend on what property or shares you buy.

If you buy AMP a few years back and comparing to buying property in Sydney then you know which one do better. But if you buy property in a none performance area comparing to performance shares then……

Why not do both?

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Exactly, Chan! Agree 100%

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.