All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Is a top coat for painting an i.p. a “repair”??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

I recently read that if painting an i.p. was done while it was tenated,it could be considered a “repair”,therefore fully deductable in that year. True? False?[confused2]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Is it a repair? Or is it an improvement? I believe that the property will need to be tenanted some time before you can justify an entire top coat as a repair.

If you are actually repairing damage this is another deal altogether.

Remember a repair is work which brings the property to the condition it was in at purchase (and subsequent rental).

Hope this helps,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Misty,
    I would definetely say that you could claim the paint as maintenance, especially as paint fades, bubbles and does require attention. I don’t see this as a capital improvement at all. Just don’t make my mistake. I thought I could save a buck and went and bought ‘used paint!’ It came in the shape of a house!! Good luck!
    Regards,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Gatsby,

You are correct, but, the issue here is timing. Be aware that painting in the first year is seen as a capital improvement. The issue is bringing the property nback to the standard it was when first leased. Paint takes more than a year to deteriorate.

Please check it out with the ATO.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.