All Topics / General Property / What Gross return – IP’s in Aust??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi all,

For those who are still looking for properties in regional towns of Australia, I am curious to know what gross return people are satisfied with.

The 11 second solution is long gone (except in ghost towns), so at what gross returns will you still buy?

I ask this as we are considering selling a couple of properties.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Del [trigger]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Del [smiling]

I wrote this elsewhere, but my acceptability rate would be:

6% in city
    8% in regional
    10% in country :)

Of course, I’d like to say I only accept a 40% yield- hehe- but that would be lying :)

So if it’s regional, my level is 8%.

Hope that helps. As you might know, I’m pretty conservative investment-wise, and don’t expect the sun and the moon when I buy an IP.

Hope you sell well, Del :))

kay henry

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi del

i’m selling my properties, ones that are only returning 8% are getting dumped. Obviously when i bought them they were returning better than 8%. But the way i see it is i wouldn’t be buying them with only 8% return so should i hold on to them ? no i say. So i’ll take the money and reinvest elsewhere , somewhere where i can get capital growth and cash flow. I know a lot of people say never sell, but if you sell and reinvest in a better deal isn’t that a smarter thing to do ?

all the best with your decision.

regards westan

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Kay & Westan,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes Westan, I think it is good to sell if you can do better elsewhere.

Good luck to all,

Del[trigger]

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

1. For a mining city (pop >20000): 9-10% (on a post 1985 IP for building depreciation benefits)

2. For a regional coastal city (pop >20 000): 8% (pre-85 building acceptable if well-located)

3. Capital city: 7-8%

4. Small country town: 10%+++

Note that I haven’t purchased in 3 & 4 and won’t do so unless yields are right and/or it’s undervalued and/or has potential.

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I don’t ever buy based solely on returns – it’s a factor in my decision making process, but not a big factor. It depends on growth prospects and a myriad of other things so I don’t have a cut-off point I won’t go below.

For instance was looking at a group of properties that were returning about 3-4% which didn’t bother me as the potential was unlimited – best area possible to buy in at prices that were okay. Shame it hasn’t worked out so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.