All Topics / Help Needed! / Creating Cash from Negative IPs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi All,
    I am currently working on +ve IPs, but most of my IPs are negatively geared.
    Can you list some ways to help me along my way to turn those -ve to +ve IPs, or at least ways to give me some desperately required FUNDS.
    I thought of fully furnishing a IP? Any other suggestions. Cheers…..

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

how many do you have where and which one of them has gained the most capital in the shortest time.If you can easily see which has grown the most, and you are desperate for cash, sell this one as long as its over 12 months you have owned it and pay down the others.
    We have sold 2 recently and gained 163K having bought them last year in Jan and Feb respectfully.

I also need cash and am not emotional about the houses.

Good luck in your decisions

DD

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi DD, call me sentimental, but I just cant sell an IP, especially when I know its got potential to still go UP…. I am a little conservative.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Marisa,

Convert that ‘holiday home’ to a full time IP.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Have tried Derek, but one obstacle, my partner…
    thanks

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Marisa,

You need to decide which is more important; the money or the IP. I realise that you are emotionally attached to your IPs (I am the same) and if the potential for growth is continually increasing, then the decision becomes even more difficult. However if you need the cash, you sometimes have no choice.

Basically, it really boils down to, how desparate your need for cash is.

Best of luck,

Jo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Monopoly,

sorry I was not particularly clear in my post – I stated was desperate for funds.

I would like to increase rental return on IP which is currently $160 pw and costs me approximately $4,000 pa.

I am really trying to achieve a greater return than $160 pw. Looking at ideas from people on ways that I could improve this situation.

It achieved approx 30% capital gains in last 12 months and looks like no stopping this upward trend. This is one of the reasons I would not sell.
    [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Marisa,

Oh okay…….well there are a few ways, without having to fit the whole house/unit with all the mod-cons, i.e. heating, cooling, built-in-robes, new hot water system, carpet, fresh coat of paint and so on. All of which cost money, but are tax deductible, add value and make great justification for an increase in the rent.

Check out the rental market in the area of your IP, are you charging more/less than anyone else? If so, try and think of ways to remedy this (mind you if you are charging more…..don’t go backwards, try and hold onto the tenants – especially if they are paying more for your place than similar ones in the area).

Have a sticky at http://www.realestate.com.au and look under rents to see what other homes in the area are fetching.

As I said……….I am with you, to me SELL is definitely a FOUR LETTER WORD [angry2][angry2]

Jo

@derek

Hi Marisa,

Do you have a target increase in mind?

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of DreamcatcherDreamcatcher
    Participant
    @dreamcatcher

Hi Marisa,

Two other options you might consider:-

1. Revalue the properties and borrow against that capitol growth that you have achieved, and
    2. consider a subdivision of one of the properties and “sell off the backyard”! [cap]

Both suggestions reuire some time and effort and result in different outcome with option 1 the easier of the two.

Hope this helps, [biggrin]

DC

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

marisa, great post..if i was the zoning fairy i’d wave my wond and convert it from res A to commercial b and that would be it… you could then expect triple rental and a five year lease and enforceable 10 year option linked to cpi plus 10%. anything else before i sheath my wand…

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

HI Brahms, you must be dreamin’ I suppose your really not the zoning fairy.
    Anyway, my needs are modest I would be happy with increasing rent to say $170 PW.

Thanks Dreamcatcher, I have looked into development options. I would only be interested in this option if I was able to build two new homes (3×2), I do not want to retain the original house. The figures do not add up at present anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Derek, the area is Westminster, WA, which you would probably know well. Its a 4 x 1 in reasonably good condition, and has a wretched pool (you heard about that one). Also the Lock up garage. New villas in the area (3 x 2) achieve about $200 pw.
    Thanks for your help

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

Yeah…your right,, i’m not the zoning fairy – but hey, its a good concept… sorry not to be able to offer a sensible solution.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Marisa, I like the idea of borrowing some extra against the place, and then using that ‘borrowed’ money to cover any shortfall. One solution, not the best, but it would save your out of pocket.

In regards to increasing the rent ($10 per week won’t make much of a dent into your $4K per year!), look objectively at the house, and see if there’s any value add you can provide to the tenants, to see if they would agree to an increase in rent in exchange for – like a pergola or something. (This is assuming you are at or above market rental currently.) This should also add some capital value to your house.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks for suggestions Melbear, it probably would be at market value at around $170-175 so I have been told by pm. Already have pergola.
    I am thinking up getting quote to change kitchen cupboards, depending on what it comes in at. The kitchen good to with a revamp.
    Cheers[exhappy]

@derek

Hi Marisa,

As others have said I recommend a lengthy talk to your PM about ways you can legitimately increase your rent. A discussion with your tenant, either directly or through PM, may also reveal that ‘something extra’ the tenant would be prepared to subsidise.

I also suggest a talk to other PMs to see what they think the going rate should be – it is possible your PM is a little lax in cranking up your rent in keeping with the rest of the rental market. At the moment Perth vacancy rates are declining so there is scope for some pushing of rents – in saying that be mindful of the mid winter ‘slow changeover phenomena’.

Assuming you are prepared to invest some of your funds consider some of the following; airconditioning, fans to bedrooms, garage door, lockable storage shed, security screens and/or system (never go astray in Westminster), outdoor area, new carpet, painting, refurb kitchen or bathroom, gardening service, front fence, side fence to keep kids in, external refurb, student accommodation for students at Tuart College, and so on.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Derek, thanks, food for thought. I have heard that there are many students renting in the area now.
    At the moment I think security screens would be a good option. Will discuss with PM.
    Have a nice evening, cheers.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Marisa,

You initially mentioned fully furnishing the place. I’ve thought of that strategy too, but the problem is when something breaks down. If you supply everything for the house, then you as the owner are responsible for replacing stuff- TV, DVD player, fridge, dryer… can you afford it? Sure, it might be good for depreciation, but how much does it cost to furnish a house? And even if you put cheap stuff- cheap furniture etc… you will attract a certain type of tenant. Sometimes, the kind of tenants who don’t have their own beds… don’t have them for a reason too. You either have to furnish for “executive” tenants (and is there the market there- for, say, business people on a 1-year contract, or at the lower end of the market. As for me- and I am a tenant- I wouldn’t want to be sleeping on a second-hand bed, so you have to think about that stuff.

Be careful not to overcapitalise in this market. Will you be able to recoup the 5-10k you spend on furniture, reno’s or whatever improvements you make?

You could always put heat bulbs in the bathroom- mmmm- yummy for tenants in winter :o)

kay henry

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Kay, after reading your post I would not fit out. I agree this would suit the executive type/up market IP. This definately aint that.

I think I’ll stick with upgrading security. Got a price today for $350.00 for window locks.

Cheers, thanks for your ideas, very much appreciated.

[exhappy]

Profile photo of tikkitikki
    @tikki

hi,

If you’re talking about “desperately needing funds”, spending money on furniture wont give you this.

What is your objective? If you need the $$ would you consider a joint partnership? tho this can create political hassles as well. As mentioned in the previous post, you could subdivide and sell depending on the property.

If you want to turn it into +ve geared you may need to spend some funds to grab your longer term cash. How about putting a granny flat in the backyard.

http://www.unitoday.net/financialfreedom2000

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.