All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant Rewards??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Profile photo of TinkerbellTinkerbell
    @tinkerbell

Hi All,
    I have been doing a lot of reading lately and after a past bad experience with a tenant that didn’t pay (I lost $2000, courts won’t do anything!), I would like to give my curent tenant two movie monies every three months that he pays his rent on time,..
    Do you think this is a good idea.
    And what do i write on the thank you card,
    Dear Tenant,
    Thank you for another three months of paying your rent on time, enjoys the movies!
    Then do i sign it with my first name, my full name… what do i put???
    Please give me some opinions.
    Thanks heaps [rolleyesanim]
    Tink

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

i would find out their names, just to make it more personal. i would only sign it like this ie:
    thanks for your timely payments of rent
    enjoy the movie
    shaun
    owner of xxxx st

hope this helps
    shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

Hi there, i feel what you are proposing is terrific, i have been mulling over the same thing as my tenants birthday is coming up which almost coincides with new lease time.

having read posts on this thread, i’m quite happy to post a b’day card with 2 movie tickets – i’m really not going to say too much, but i do want to foster a pro active (albeit commercial) relationship (property is self managed).

if it takes $20 to save me 4 weeks vacancy, won’t need a calculator for that.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Gee, this will be a contentious thread, Tinkerbell – it was last time this issue came up.

Rewarding someone for paying their rent is like rewarding them for what they should do anyway. I don’t know whether this makes sense.

I reward tenants if they go ‘above and beyond the call’. For example, I have a tenant in a block of 6 units that I own. She is an avid gardener. At her local nursery I put down $40 per month so she can buy supplies. The grounds look great. She’ll stay there long term and it helps attract other tenants.

I’ve got tenants in a Sydney property who have been there for 18 months. I recently got my property manager to write to them and let them know that in recognition of the fact that they always pay their rent on time etc I’m not going to increase the rent. Of course, I wasn’t going to anyway – too many vacancies nearby. But they’re chuffed and think they’ve been rewarded.

For another tenant who paid well, I put in a heater last month – his lease was due to expire. It cost less than $300 so it’s claimable in full this year. The tenant signed up for another 6 months. And of course, when he does leave, the heater will help attract another tenant.

I wouldn’t send someone a birthday gift – too personal.

The main thing is to make sure any communication goes through your property manager. Stay out of it yourself.

Scott

Profile photo of TinkerbellTinkerbell
    @tinkerbell

Shaun,
    I’ll take your advice.
    Thanks all for your advice. I know that i am rewarding them for something that they should do, but i lost $2000 last year because a tenant didn’t pay rent. He has now disappeared so i will never see that money again. If it takes $80 a year to make a tenant feel speacial and pay their rent on time, then it’s a good deal to me!
    Tink [biggrin]

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

[cap]
    Depreciator, I like it that you treat each situation individually.

Our tennant pays the rent on time, but her dog is progressively digging holes all over the backyard and she is not watering out the front.
    Her “reward” is a chat from our PM.

Or perhaps a visit from your avid gardener?? Glad you are appreciating her efforts.

Diane

Profile photo of gava1gava1
    @gava1

Tinkerbell,

Maybe you should consider rewarding your managers instead of the tennants. That way your managers will want to look after you with getting you the best possible tennants that arn’t likely to do a runner on you. Also if your property comes up for a new lease guess whose property they are likely to rent first. Yours because they are getting an insentive to do so.
    This little strategy has served me well. Addmittedly I only have 4 propertys but they have a combined vacancy rate of 6 days over the last 24 month, and i have not had any none paying, a current affair tennants as yet and don’t expect to. I look after my managers and they certainly look after me.

Of course if you manage the property yourself this won’t apply and maybe you should look at sacking your manager.

Gav.

“Happy Days”

Profile photo of TinkerbellTinkerbell
    @tinkerbell

That’s a great idea to reward the manager! Thanks, i can’t believe i hadn’t thought of that!
    After last year disaster i changed property managers because my previous one was ABSOLUTELY hopeless!
    The one i have now is really amazing after what i’ve been used to.
    Good idea, thank you.
    Tink

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi Tink,

I’m sure your tenants will think you’re a fairy, but if you think it’ll help keep your tenant doing the right then go ahead.

Yes, this topic did cause a bit of debate last time, try doing a search on gifts or rewards and see what comes up, you might be very interested in that thread.

I tend to only give a gift at Christmas time to say “thanks” for the year, unless something out of the ordinary has happened in between ie: we were putting up a fence in 41 degree heat and lo and behold our tenant came and helped us. Took all day, was very dirty, and tiring work (I don’t think I’ve ever seem so many tree roots) and he missed watching the car racing on TV which we know he really likes to to watch. As far as we were concerned he went well above what can be expected so we bought him a carton of premium beer there and then! a carton seemed small for a days work but he was thrilled, he hadn’t had any money left over for himself for some time (single dad with two kids) so he really appreciated it.

Ultimately, though we are all different, some respond very well to positive reinforcement, for others it would make no difference, if they are going to do the wrong theing, then they still will do the wrong thing.

Good luck.
    PK

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Baa humbug and poppycock,
    get into a close relationship with tenants and it can backfire. I chatted once to a tenant at a townhouse and when he didnt pay rent he found my number when we were trying to evict him and pleaded for more time. We finally took posession after he had disappeared, leaving all his s..t behind.

He knew by law we would have to pay to get it stored for three months prior to selling it and he just collected it and paid the storage rate later. We had to wait until his stuff was removed then got a cleaner in etc. I’m just saying that should you wish to be nice to tenants do it through the real estate. They get the movie tickets once a year from us at chrissy. Then its an unassociated with anything else “thanks” they get. They still feel appreciated, but you still have your distance and sanity.

Food for thought. What if you give them every three months, like you suggested and a tenant for legitimate reasons gets a bit behind. They miss their movie tickets and feel neglected, if they are having a tough time this may be enough for them to say stuff it and move on. All im saying is that rewards too often, and they expect it.
    What if they are on rent relief and its a big treat for them(1 in tassie springs to mind) and they expect it and YOUR circumstances change.

A family crisis, loss of work etc and you cant do the tickets anymore. Will that make the tenant confident that repairs will be done quickly if your display of in effect a cash back scheme suddenly dried up. Think long and hard. Interest rates, maintainance, council rates, body corp fees. All can change or suddenly blow out.

A little cash in reserve for the blown up hot water system(just after a 6K reno too), bars on a small window after a break in, tap burst and lost the carpets etc etc etc. Keep it in your account for the year and then give a good tenant a small reward.

This is a bit gloomy but its a bit clearer with a few mishaps under the belt.

DD

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Tinkerbell,

Let me share one “bad, tenant from hell story” with you. I was like you once, lost money with a “non paying tenant” so when I finally managed to get him out after failing to pay ANY rent for 8 months (by the time I went to the Tribunal) I decided that “the next time would be different”………so what did I do?????

Next tenant moved in, I would buy her a gift on her birthday, at Easter I got her (and her kids) chocky eggs, and at Xmas a bottle of wine. This went on for a year, and then the same thing happened; the tenants again failed to make regular payments, then just dead stopped. Oh and it gets better, then they decide to use the garage as their own private “whore house” sub-letting it to prostitutes; the police were always getting called around, and one night, I got a call to say that they had “trashed” the property, why?????? Because I left a message with one of them asking about the rent and “how dare I”!!!!! When I had finally endured enough, again, back to the tribunal, and again, eviction process started, only this time, they got pissed off, and decided to torch the house, but not before, they spray painted my neigbhouring wall with TENANTS RULE, and TAKE THAT YOU F…..ING BITCH!!!!!

So what do you think I should do now for my tenants, a bottle of bubbly with a personalised card again, note reading “Oh thank you sooooooo much for paying me to keep a roof over your head, and btw thanks oh so much for not burning my house down!!!!!!”

Please spare me!!!!!!!

Jo

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Yikes.. how many grey hairs did you get from that experience Jo? [blush2] I think that the idea is pretty nice, but at the end of the day, in most cases tenants usually don’t pay up because they’re having money problems. Giving tenants gifts isn’t going to prevent this.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

See Tinkerbell, told you there’d be a range of responses.

What works for one tenant won’t necessarily work for another. What works for one investor may not work for another. Same goes for property managers. We’re dealing with people – too many variables.

I’ve always used property managers and they are rewarded as are some tenants. I keep my tenants at arms length. I reward either party when they exceed my expectations.

Gee Henry, I don’t think those tenants felt I regarded them as ‘stupid or inadequate’. In fact I’m not sure whether any smart investor would take their tenants for granted. But maybe I did unwittingly offend those tenants and I’m too obtuse to realise it? Still, the fact that they’d being paying monthly after the expiry of a lease and asked whether they could go on a lease again meant that whatever I did achieved the desired result.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Personally, I would concentrate my efforts/rewards to the property manager. Minimising issues with the tenant throughout the life of the lease and minimising vanacy times, when they move out I think are keys to maximising your return.

Whilst a gift eg movie tickets may make a nice gesture, I am not sure how relevant it would be to tenants when making a decision to stay or go. Price, lifestyle change, work location etc I think would be more relevant.

James

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

All posts have been from the view point of the landlord – not surprising of course, but… casting my mind back to the many years of renting as most forumites will share.

I always felt the apartment or house i was in was my home, and treated it as such. And yes, I was never treated any better by any landlord or managing agent than the tenant who didn’t mow, didn’t weed, didn’t change their own light bulbs, didn’t park cars on the front lawn til the wheel tracks got so deep the car bottomed out and then complained to the realtor that the vehicle access was eroded and the realtor took this to the owner who said ‘what the hell has happenned to the lawn’…..you get the drift..

as i’m now on the other side of the ledger, i’ll happily foster a commercial relationship.

i always smile at the thought of telling a good news storey about a tenant and a rental property – you’d be boo’d off the stage – so much more fun to hear about the one out at Toowoomba who converted the 4th bedroom into a stable and kept the pony inside, well,,,, it does get cold out there……

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

We gave our tenants movie tickets ( doubles ) for X-mas, i agree with DD and depreciator though and keep things “At Arms Length”..some people mistake Kindness for Weakness.

If i had a tenant who was a MAD gardener, i’d definetly assist as depreciator did, it’s benefical to me in the long run, and makes the house a home, for the tenant.

It’s a symbiotic relationship..

I prefer fixed term leases ( 6-12 Months )rather than periodical also..gives both myself and the tenant some sense of security..

Point taken about the Property Managers..they’ll get movie tickets now too..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen
    Originally posted by redwing:

We gave our tenants movie tickets ( doubles ) for X-mas, i agree with DD and depreciator though and keep things “At Arms Length”..some people mistake Kindness for Weakness.[/navy][/url]

Good point there. I was in the same boat a short while ago and was considering giving the tenants free movie tickets or a bottle of wine as a ‘thank you’ gift. But then I read a discussion about the general public’s views towards investment property owners. I just got paranoid thinking that if I start giving gifts the tenants will think I’m some well off real estate investor and change their ways.

‘My’ view now is that a tenant should not be given a gift unless they’re over the board nice, or go out of their way to look after your property (like the examples given above). In the end it’s up to the landlord as each case is a different situation.

Cheers [biggrin]

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Forgot to mention, all of my property managers get a personalised coffee mug with their name on it. Spelling unusual names correctly gets you big brownnie points too.

So in a busy office with lots of people in and out, everyone knows whos cup is whos and I also have my business card on the opposite side of the cup. They never have to look far for my number in emergencies(and it is free advertising too).

Try something personal. I do personalised mousemats for my good customers too, yes I’m an IT man.

DD

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

As a former PM, I have to agree with those who motivate the PM. They are the key to it all. I expect tenants to abide by the lease, it’s a business deal. I expect property owners to abide by their responsibilities too, otherwise I hand them back the property and the management because I don’t want to be sued by a tenant. So, best target is both parties abide by the lease, tenant pays rent on time and looks after the property, while landlord provides fast service on repairs and maintenance. hope you got a good PM and good tenants. cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by DD:

Forgot to mention, all of my property managers get a personalised coffee mug with their name on it. Spelling unusual names correctly gets you big brownnie points too.

So in a busy office with lots of people in and out, everyone knows whos cup is whos and I also have my business card on the opposite side of the cup. They never have to look far for my number in emergencies(and it is free advertising too).

Try something personal. I do personalised mousemats for my good customers too, yes I’m an IT man.

DD

Hmmmm DD you’re not just a Funny looking Bird..Great ideas [thumbsupanim]

You should be in Marketing !!

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.