All Topics / General Property / Prices falling Investors running away

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Well its great to be positive (and I am) but isn’t it interesting how quickly the tide turns and all the chicken littles flock together and create more panic … bring it on!

Developers are doing deals all over the country as the market shrinks and regroups, theres a mortgage broker on every corner, and every real estate agent in an expert on property investing, it wasn’t like that 3 years ago.

OKAY lets hear some predictions where the market will be in 6 months from now, because even positive cash flow properties today can drop in price, and believe me I know how hard it is to sell a property in a country town if your financial position changes.

regards from [email protected]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Well, Saturday’s West Australian had the property report in it and WA still seems to be holding. Slowing of course but out median price has continued to grow, now at $247,000.

Having said that there were a few areas that had negative growth over the last quarter so perhpas that’s the start of the lull. But well, every things cycles, will just continue as per our plan and be there when the next cycle comes around.

PK

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Imnteresting topic Philip,

Perhaps a turn in the cycle is due. The interesting thing about investment is that usually, when all men and sundry start jumping on the bandwagon you’ve literally missed the boat.

While eroding capital and even negative equity occurred back in the late 80’s early 90’s there were still bargains to be had. Those who were too heavily geared when demand fell and interest rates rose were forced to sell. Those who were positioned well and had consolidated their portfolios were able to pick up some absolute bargains.

A book on this situation in NZ is “Lost Property” by Olly Newland.

So, in answer to your question – who knows? All I am doing is retaining some cash and liquid assets to pounce if the opportunity presents itself. Aside from that I’m ensuring I have stable cashflows in place.

Be prepared – theres a bargain in every market

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Thanks Jeff, I just had lunch with a friend of mine who runs a National (aussie) mortgage training course and he informs me that the whole country is slowing down.

My question on this site has always been the same question which nobody has answered.

HOW MUCH POSITIVE IS POSITIVE IN DOLLAR TERMS ????
    Can some one tell me what positive gearing is and are you reducing debt to value ratio?

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

10 pct in the next 6 months. 30 pct in the next 4 years!!

there you go!

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

The hard part about positive cashflow is it all sounds good on paper however, people need to live.

So you need to create a cashflow in excess of what you need to maintain your lifestyle. Those dollars over and above this should either reduce debt (especially with rising interest rates) or applied to more positive cashflow.

The rule here would have to be diversification, if a local economy was adversely affected and you were heavily exposed to that economy you would need to know you could ride the storm.

So to determine the positive cashflow in dollars you require, begin with current interest and operating expeses, add on living expenses, and then:
    For every 1% increase in interest rates you need to be able to reduce your debt by the following – 1 divided by the current interest rate multiplied by your current debt.
    eg If rates are currently 6% and they go up 1% and your current debt is $500k then 1/6 x 500 = 83.33

You need to reduce your loans by $83.33k to maintain the same cashflow. This figure can be altered by locking in interest rates etc

There are always times when you need to consolidate and it depends on each individuals comfort zone, the more dollars the more comfort.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

30% from peak, 15-20% left to fall. Id go for 6 months as well but depends on the election.

Will we go to an election before the “shrub” (little Bush).

Rate rise definately on the cards after the election based on US rates and THIER economy not ours.

When $h1t hits the fan cash is king, as it was last recession, downturn, bust whatever you want to call it.

Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

I agree, it seems like everything is slowing. I’m in the retail industry and everyone is complaining of a downturn. I dont know what everyone is spending there money on. Is it just they dont have any money or are they holding on to it. You cant tell me that the likes of Coles/Myer are doing ok when they have so many % off sales and so often.

In the past couple of years our suppliers are giving us more and more discounts. This must be hurting them, then us, then everyone.

What is going on. Is this a cyclic event or are we carving out a new path?

I think we are very over retailed in this country. How much can realy go around.

Thats my bit.
    Bec

Beck.
    “You have to leave your mouth open for a very long time before a roast chicken flys into it.” Early Proveb.

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

Since there is some crystal ball gazing going on here, it’s time to recap on reasons for the possible slowdown.

It’s patchy, say my agent contacts, some districts are still going gangbusters.

Consumption, as opposed to investment, is subject to all sorts of things but sentiment is most important, as it is with property.

When an international equilibrium appears again and our election is out of the way, (whoever wins), all those who have enjoyed an as yet unrealised capital gain from the past three years of property price appreciation, are gonna gear-up.

They will increase their mortgages and invest again and spend again, probably like never before. Only two requirements are needed, continued fullish employment and interest rates below 10%.

Any inflation will, as usual, increase your equity in any property you have a loan on.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

it’s all about perception… I went to the shops for the first time in ages last Saturday – OMG! people were in a consumption frenzy – cars dumped all over the pavement, couldn’t get to counters… it felt like Christmas. it sure feels like boom times to me.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious
    Originally posted by AusProp:

it’s all about perception… I went to the shops for the first time in ages last Saturday – OMG! people were in a consumption frenzy – cars dumped all over the pavement, couldn’t get to counters… it felt like Christmas. it sure feels like boom times to me.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

My perception of what you have described John would be refected as more consumer debt, remember for every Aussie dollar earnt we borrow $1.30!

Think about all the traps set for the not so money smart, credit card ad’s, 48 year interest free ad’s etc etc. Then go to the next level like our youth who are not being taught much at all about saving.

What about the “Me” generation who still live with mum and dad at the age of 35? No savings no house no nothing!

Then we have good ol uncle Sam[medieval] financing a war at the tune of $6 Billion a week???? What do you think the outcome will be? When was the last time all these elements were tuned such as these?

Do the big guns really give a toss when they screw it all up again and again?

A very senior advisor for a certain government told me 10 months ago, “dont owe to much in 3 years time” meaning some heavy duty shit would go down in 06. Then the same date comes up 10 months later on 4 Corners?? Did the chills go down my spine!!

How many predicted the last bust?? Most were all roses and coffee before the bust, complacent go-getters most of whom got burnt, just like the next bust looming.

Property has doubled nearly every 7 years on a rough average, but if you monitor the situation now you will more than likely realize that the wage to borrow ratio is out of orbit! But then averages are averages. In the 4 Crn’s story they interview a Gentlemen who purchased a new home in the then new sub-division of Mt Druitt, he paid 10k for the property, his gross income was 8.5K!!!!

What would be the situation today? Mt Druitt 3 bedda 320k income 35k……wow simple but effective. i think the one thing people loose sight of is who is really the asstute investor? us[eh] or the Banks?[evil4]

What was that old saying? “when the shoe shine boy starts talking about share trading then it’s time to get out”[skull]

We are all made from Stars

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Olly Newland is publishing a new book due out in June 04 – “The Day the Bubble Bursts”

Look in http://www.empowereducation.com

This will be worth a read.

Cheers
    Jeff

@salubrious

The big bang theory. Do you remember that clean up Australia guy? I cant place his name but I do remember seeing him on 60 minutes telling us how he once had over 2 or 3 hundred properties and lost the lot in the recession we had to have (thanx Paul)

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Originally posted by Salubrious:

Quote:
    Originally posted by AusProp:

Property has doubled nearly every 7 years on a rough average, but if you monitor the situation now you will more than likely realize that the wage to borrow ratio is out of orbit! But then averages are averages. In the 4 Crn’s story they interview a Gentlemen who purchased a new home in the then new sub-division of Mt Druitt, he paid 10k for the property, his gross income was 8.5K!!!!

What would be the situation today? Mt Druitt 3 bedda 320k income 35k……wow simple but effective. i think the one thing people loose sight of is who is really the asstute investor? us[eh] or the Banks?[evil4]

Well said.

Another poster said that with inflation prty will keep going. (???????)

Wages will move . Prty will drop and we will have equilibrium….eventually.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Lets look at some more very basic facts I work on dailey to keep my reality in check.

Australia has a 26.4 billion dollar credit card problem

86% of people who purchase a 3yr interest free store account REFINANCE and pay 35% plus interest after that.

5 million people were born in Aussie between 1946 – 1965 (baby boomers) if you add 65 + 1946 = 2011 which is when 5 million people begin to retire that folks is 25% of Australias population.

I believe the real money in property will come from plus 55 developments and low style cheap accomadation even caravan park style living.

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

As property becomes further out of reach for first home buyers and the like, there will be an even greater need for rental properties.

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

In the 4 Crn’s story they interview a Gentlemen who purchased a new home in the then new sub-division of Mt Druitt, he paid 10k for the property, his gross income was 8.5K!!!!

What would be the situation today? Mt Druitt 3 bedda 320k income 35k……wow simple but effective.

IIRC, the $10k/$8.5k example was from the early 1960s. $8.5k would have been a huge wage back then, and the average wage would have been nearer $2k pa.

So the house was worth about 5 times the average wage.

Assuming an average wage of $35k, then a multiple of 5 becomes $175k. But if we assume both partners working and a household income of $60k, then the house beocomes $300k.

Relative to household income the real price of property has increased, and it appears more expensive relative to household incomes than in the past. But maybe only 20-50%, no more (to the disappointment of spruikers that claim 10% cap growth per year). And the big city markets are maintained by the steady flow of migrants, the largest number of whom want to live in Sydney.

Another thing is that finance now is easier to get than 30 years ago and you can get low-doc loans, high LVRs, FHOG, etc.

Prices are set by what people are willing to pay. Willingness to pay is determined by what people can afford. What people can afford is determined by how much the banks are willing to lend. Thus the banks control house prices.

If the banks said ‘You must have 20% cash deposit and can only borrow up three times your annual income’ you can bet that this would kill the housing market as only first home buyers with good savings and investors with significant equity could afford to buy.

Peter

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Noticed this morning that some properties that were for lease in Sept Oct last year have now sprouted “for sale” signs.

That last tennant cost them around 10-20% of gross, thats gotta hurt.

Rgds Terry

Profile photo of aussiemikeaussiemike
    Participant
    @aussiemike

I agree with residentialwealth. I can only laugh at people who have bought into these McMansions. I mean by 2011 the population will be moving out of these huge properties (as they will be too large too maintain – as if they aren’t already) and moving into smaller accomodation.

Older people want a few things.

1. Security. Over 55s developments that younger people or groups of young people cannot move into will be attractive.

2. Close to transport, shops and hospitals. Give them a sense of mobility.

3. Space yet easy to clean. The feeling of space will be important but actual square metreage will be hard for them to maintain.

I really see places like Kellyville, etc., and the people who bought in those areas, going through a very tough period. They have bought huge homes at huge prices and it could be 10 years before they ever see a return on their investment. In fact over 10 years with interest and inflation they will have lost huge amounts of money.

Just my opinion but health and aged care is the future trend. I agree with the saying that when the bellhops are buying start selling.

@salubrious
    Originally posted by peterp:

In the 4 Crn’s story they interview a Gentlemen who purchased a new home in the then new sub-division of Mt Druitt, he paid 10k for the property, his gross income was 8.5K!!!!

What would be the situation today? Mt Druitt 3 bedda 320k income 35k……wow simple but effective.

IIRC, the $10k/$8.5k example was from the early 1960s. $8.5k would have been a huge wage back then, and the average wage would have been nearer $2k pa.

So the house was worth about 5 times the average wage.

Assuming an average wage of $35k, then a multiple of 5 becomes $175k. But if we assume both partners working and a household income of $60k, then the house beocomes $300k.

Relative to household income the real price of property has increased, and it appears more expensive relative to household incomes than in the past. But maybe only 20-50%, no more (to the disappointment of spruikers that claim 10% cap growth per year). And the big city markets are maintained by the steady flow of migrants, the largest number of whom want to live in Sydney.

Another thing is that finance now is easier to get than 30 years ago and you can get low-doc loans, high LVRs, FHOG, etc.

Prices are set by what people are willing to pay. Willingness to pay is determined by what people can afford. What people can afford is determined by how much the banks are willing to lend. Thus the banks control house prices.

If the banks said ‘You must have 20% cash deposit and can only borrow up three times your annual income’ you can bet that this would kill the housing market as only first home buyers with good savings and investors with significant equity could afford to buy.

Peter

It was 1974 Pete so I guess you may as well start again.[biggrin] Also, he was the bred winner for the family which is another important factor. Today, unless both are working in a family situation, the chances of ever owning your own home are very restrictive.

Life is getting tougher because we all get sucked into the plastic perpetual puke of media advertising. I want more…………pitty communism sucked cause this idea aint workin either[blush2]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.