All Topics / Help Needed! / Fine tuning research tools

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi all,
    I apologize as I know this is one of the most frequently asked questions. In terms of researching for positive cashflow properties, does anyone have any ‘specific’ or ‘unique’ strategies or tools apart from just searching the net, calling agents, etc. I seem to be coming to a dead end or maybe I’m simply not being patient enough (or aggressive?) in my search. Are there short cut websites or research designs availabe to hone in to source cashflow positive property (eg stats on where La Porchettas, McDonalds, infrastructre can be directly obtained)? I’m not asking for ‘THE’ hotspot town (but don’t let that stop you from telling me!!!), but the most direct routes to harness in researching to either eliminate or identify an area. Anyone’s personal experience or opinions/advice would be most grateful.
    Many thanks,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Gatsby,

This one is a little basic, but you can always look up “Mcdonalds opening real estate” as key words in google.com.au (australia only sites). Or replace mcdonalds with “Bunnings” or whatever.

Generally, you can find out that stuff by reading newspapers and everything you can on the net. For example, I have found out recently where new University campuses (UQ and ACU) are opening in qld and sydney (respectively). It’s just a matter of reading every newspaper and journal possible.

Whilst fast food outlets may service and existing population, new University campuses will bring in a new population to those parts of cities.

kay henry

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Dear Kay,
    Much appreciated! Regarding looking through newspapers, how do you gain access to them all? I’m looking in the Victorian region to narrow down my search but I’d happily search all over OZ. Do you pick one town say for example and then after exhausting the search via the local newspaper for arguments sake, then move on to the next town of interest etc, or do you subscribe to all newspapers for instance all over the place to compare the market? If so, does patience and persistence become the order of the day? Is there a way of casting a wider net to cover as much area (ie. all over Vic or OZ for that matter) and yet be able to leverage time to cull excessive researching (assuming ‘excessive’ researching actually exists in this game!)? I think I’m perhaps being too impatient yet there is lots I realize I still need to know in chasing these elusive cashflow + properties. Many thanks Kay for your ideas.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Well, Gatsby, as you probably know, you can access smh.com.au online (the owners also pwn the Age, so not much point doubling up) and news.com (the owners own the Australian too, so no point doubling up there). Campus Review is a free rag in all Universites, so you can pick one up by just going and visiting one and asking the Union for a copy. The AFR (afr.com.au can’t be accessed online, so you have to buy that one. That’s the newspapers covered. All regional newspapers are generally free and accessible online these days.

Say, Gatsby, that you wanted to know if Toowong (for example) had any infrastructure happening, you could go to google.com.au and go to the “news” section and type in “toowong” and see what’s happening. If anything at all is happening in Toowong, it would have made the newspapers, so that’s an easy way to find stuff, instead of having to look through individual medium.

abc.net.au is another source to find out what’s happening regionally. However, the google.com.au “news” section will include abc’s coverage too.

Remember if you type in “victoria” into google.com’s news… it will probably come up with a million articles on victoria, canada, because google news is an international search, not an aussie one. So you might need to specify your search. For places like Gundagai, you can be safe there’s only one of those in the world.

Hope this helps :o)

kay henry

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Dear Kay,
    …”King Solomon could not have made a wiser decision”….. Kay!!! How much commission do want from my next positive cashflow property? As Socrates said, ‘The more you know, the less you know’. Thanks for the tips Kay.
    Happy investing!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.