All Topics / General Property / The Trap Is Set

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Nervous fingers are being pointed in every direction, looking to cast blame for soaring house prices.

A raft of experts cite factors for the price push, ranging from a shortage of metropolitan area land, to Government tax policy, where capital gains are effectively taxed at a maximum rate of 25 per cent (if held for more than a year) – and that’s after investors have slashed their tax bill from ordinary income as a result of negative gearing and other costs on the rented property.

Banks lending too freely and the combined borrowing power of two-income families have pushed average home mortgages close to the $500,000 mark.

To top it all off, double digit annual capital gains on property investment in the past few years have given people the impression that the property boom and its attendant capital gains will continue indefinitely.

But how this process relates to individual circumstances became a little clearer from the story of one reader. He wanted to buy a $550,000 second property as an investment, and went to his bank to see how much his repayments would increase by.

His Personal Banker was on the phone pronto. The PB noted that the reader already had a house with far more equity than he had last year, when the banker drove past his house and assessed its value.

As a result of his increased “wealth”, the PB had calculated that the reader could borrow, not $550,000, but – hey! – $680,000, leaving him a buffer to renovate the prospective purchase, add a new kitchen to his current house and roll his credit card debt into the housing loan.

There were a couple of catches, though.

The “new deal” would involve recasting the existing arrangement into a new loan, using both the existing and the prospective purchase as security. And the interest rate on the total loan would go up by about 2 per cent. Of course there would be some valuation and facility fees to add.

This bundling of the two loans did not suit the reader. He worked out pretty quickly that he didn’t need a loan larger than $550,000, so why should he pay a higher interest rate on the additional $130,000 pushed on him? He didn’t want to do renovations and he had only recently put in a new kitchen. Nor did he have a credit card problem. Nor did he want to use his home equity to escalate consumption spending.

The bottom line of the bank’s arithmetic for him was a increase in his monthly repayments from $2100 on the existing loan to $5700 on the recast facility – nearly three times the previous level.

As he was doing his sums, the news was full of forecasts of interest rate rises and property prices levelling or even falling. Tenants were harder to find.

But the real crunch came when he got wind that his company was merging with another and his job was likely to go.

How glad he was that he didn’t jump at the PB’s deal, and buy the second house, having to meet $5700 a month while trawling Sydney for a job.

The second house is still on the market.

The reader, although facing an uncertain job future, at least knows he can handle his existing debt comfortably from his wife’s income and his savings. His house is not on the line, as it would have been on the recast deal, if he had been forced to sell the second home at a loss.

Years ago life insurance companies were criticised for bundling their savings and death cover policies into one whole of life policy, making it impossible to work out how much the policyholder was paying for death cover and how much was left over for investment, and what that investment was returning. It was also impossible to work out how much in fees and commissions went to the life insurance company and their salespeople.

Consumers woke up to this and demanded separate products where they could shop comparatively. Old-style life insurance policies, which did not break even for more than 10 years, died on the vine.

Now banks have stepped into the breach, bundling existing housing loans with new investment housing loans, credit card debt and personal loans and rolling them into one, making it hard to work out just what you are paying for each individual product.

It is offers from banks of huge loans that are also largely responsible for the blow-out in housing debt that has the Reserve Bank so worried. That PB probably thought he was doing the right thing, but he was no doubt also hoping to meet lending targets set by the bank, delivering it more interest and fee income, as well as providing the bank with more security.

We’re all bunnies if we fall for it.

[satan]

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

… trouble is whilst people pull out of these deals due to the bad news headlines, others are out there making a killing. A Singaporean gent I was dealing with pulled out of a deal 6 months ago becuase the headlines threatened rates rises – if only he had bought that house! All that gain sacrificed because of the fear of a 0.5% interest rate rise. Not to worry, plenty of opportunity out there.

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Very true Aus, and a lot will come unstuck but I guess that’s the law of survival, some make it some dont so what!

Be good Aus

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi BBG,

I remember the last boom. The guys who went into real estate too hard and too late in the cycle got burnt the worst.

Where are we in the current cycle?……….hmmmm.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

qwerty,

I agree with you about investors being cautious. Having said that, not all of us began investing 4 or more years ago- pre-boom. Everyone has to start somewher and at some time. I think people panicked in sydney, for example, at the peak of the boom, with all those people bidding higher and higher- hundreds of thousands of dollars above reserve, but they were mostly homebuyers and not investors. They were all worried about not being able to access hte market- now, of course, the market has slowed somewhat.

As for me, I will buy at any time, under any conditions- even boom, tax changes, IR rises… but I will *NOT* buy into boom areas during a boom. I will seek out undervalued areas where the prices are *reasonable* and not psycho.

Whilst it’s not good to pay toip dollar during a boom (that’s my perspective anyhoo), it’s also not my way to stay *out* of the market for years. There is no way I would wait 7 years for a flat market. RE investors will always do well if they understand the market.

Who knows? In 7 years time, I may have 7 houses! Whereas if I stay out of the market, I won’t. (I don’t play shares, so that’s not an option for me)

kay henry

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Kay henry,

We’re built differently I suppose. I’ve been investing since xmas of ’86 and always purchased property when others didn’t (slump market) and done OK. One thing I’ve learnt in property is that many techniques work. Mine has and I hope yours eventually does to.

@salubrious

In the early 90’s when interest rates hit 17% the average residential loan was 84k, what about today and tomorrow?

America is borrowing more than it can earn, 6 billion per week for a war we didn’t needed etc

I don’t like being pessimistic but I feel we better batten down the hatches or lock into fixed rates.

Watch the inflation rate start to climb. Howard gets in again, inflation starts to move, Howard hands over to Costello, things start to turn to crap and Johnny comes out clean…

Watch this space, its coming![skull]

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Of all investments RE is one of the most reliable.
    I agree with buying at any time.If one spot is booming then look a little further away.It wont take long for the dominoes to get there.
    Russ.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Bionic,

Inflation is lower than it has been for 4 years (since the inception of the GST, where inflation, as measured by CPI came in at 6%!!). The annual inflation rate came in this week at 2%. That is in the bottom range of the Reserve Bank’s target of 2-3% inflation.

Where does your prediction of rampaging inflation come from?

kay henry

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Bionic,

Inflation is lower than it has been for 4 years (since the inception of the GST, where inflation, as measured by CPI came in at 6%!!). The annual inflation rate came in this week at 2%. That is in the bottom range of the Reserve Bank’s target of 2-3% inflation.

kay henry

Think of the tides Kay. What happens after a low tide?

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of FernFern
    @fern

I’m with Qwerty, I’ve always bought in the slumps. I’ve cashed out recently at what I hope is the top of the cycle and eliminated debt and will await new opportunities in the coming years.
    I’ve done my time through three property cycles and paid the 15%+ mortgage rates over the years, but always CF+. It can work in your favour when your mortgage rate is lower than the inflation rate.

Bionic,

kay henry

From what I understand the total inflation is low (due to drops in import prices because of a strong Aus$, BUT domestic inflation is a lot higher, over 4%).

The Aus$ has just sunk against the US$, so surely that means there will be inflation from both domestic source and external sources in the coming months.

ie: Inflation will rise from here on, unless AUS$ strengthens.

China has hinted that their rates are going up to slow there booming economy, the US Fed will have no choice but to put up cash rates soon.
    It all flows down.

Its all up from here IMHO.

I’d be fixing my rate if I still had a mortgage

@salubrious

You sure your names not Henry Kay?

I rest my case………….[baaa]

Profile photo of FernFern
    @fern

Huh[baaa]

Who is Henry Kay?

@salubrious

My mate at ASIC would love to know!

@salubrious

Bionic,

kay henry

Economists are betting against the Reserve Bank lifting interest rates on Tuesday, although they say it could be the final chance it has this year.

Politics surrounding next week’s budget and the federal election made a 0.25 per cent rise in mortgages before Christmas too complicated, said HSBC economist John Edwards.

But he said there was a compelling case for a rate rise: a vigorous economy, local inflation rising above 4 per cent and Friday’s figures showing that borrowing for housing in March had accelerated to record levels.

“A rate rise this week would be correctly interpreted as an unfavourable judgement on the economic and fiscal policy presented in a budget the [Reserve Bank] board has not seen,” Mr Edwards said. “Beyond June, any tightening is a big help for Opposition Leader Mark Latham and a blow to the Government. It will be wholeheartedly resisted by [federal Treasurer] Peter Costello and his supporters.”

Bank economists can’t see a rise, although the ANZ believes it will be close, but they expect a move up sometime this year.

“Interest rate changes around an election risk instability and central banks do not like that,” Westpac economist Bill Evans said.

CommSec economist Craig James said people were taking on more housing and consumer debt because credit was cheap and the Reserve Bank had clearly not done enough to slow the growth to more sustainable levels. He expects another rise, but not this week.

AMP economist Shane Oliver said rates might rise next month.

“The key thing holding inflation down was the Australian dollar rise, but with that stalling and falling there is a greater risk of inflation,” Dr Oliver said.

The US Federal Reserve Board also meets on Tuesday and is expected to leave rates unchanged – at 1 per cent – with analysts expecting pointers to a rate rise in August.

Concerns about rising interest rates hit shares in America, despite better-than-expected earnings from companies such as Procter & Gamble.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.45 per cent but technology shares tumbled, with the Nasdaq index down 6.3 per cent – its steepest weekly decline in two years.

The Australian sharemarket should be down 10 points tomorrow, Dr Oliver said.

What was the inflation rate again Kay????[baaa]

I must have a crystal ball? Or I think global economy, not backyard economy…….[blink]

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

The discussion about headline rates of inflation and interest rates are somewhat dettached from the investors decision matrix.

Can I point out that ultimately, it is firstly real interest rates and the expectation of real rates into the future(interest rates minus inflation) that will guide an investor (whether it is property, stocks or bonds). So if interest rates go up another 1% and inflation 1%, then theoretically at least, you are no worse off.

Admittedly, there are multiple factors which re-inforce and counteract each other and it is almost impossible to know how they will play out. However, there are two key factors which will mitigate inflation increasing

1. Centralised wage fixing, has broken wage increases & wage inflation nexus, as a result of productivity related trade-offs.
    2. The economy is much more senitive to rate rises today that it was fifteen years ago. The degree of borrowings across households (predominantly) increases the dampening effect on expenditure of any interest rate increases.

It was also mentioned that with the depreciation of the $A, there will be imported inflation as a result. We had a $A value at $US49 cents approximately 2-3 years ago, and inflation was not affected. Ultimately, it is market forces which will dictate ability to increase prices.

Massive interest rates increases are more unlikely than most people think.

James

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    Originally posted by wayneL:

Since when has the gravitation influences of the moon and sun had a signficant effect on inflation rates?

You can’t reasonably expect to use the regularity of tides (which are not entirely regular anyway – they’re the result of a chaotic system) to establish a comparison with inflation rates!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by Aceyducey:

Since when has the gravitation influences of the moon and sun had a signficant effect on inflation rates?

You can’t reasonably expect to use the regularity of tides (which are not entirely regular anyway – they’re the result of a chaotic system) to establish a comparison with inflation rates!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I would have thought one of such vast experience such as yourself, would be aware of the use of metaphor.

The economy, and components of the economy tend to move in cycles. The tide is merely a metaphor to illustrate that, in a very basic way!

The boom bust cycle has been with us for a very long time and I don’t envisage that will end anytime soon.

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

I suspect there may have been sarcasm and tongue in cheek response from Acey. Of course there may also be in yours as well!![biggrin]

james

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

I would have thought one of such vast experience such as yourself, would be aware of the use of metaphor.

Clearly my experience is nowhere near vast enough :)

However I never trust metaphors that attribute physical laws to human-driven enterprises.

Humans are far too unpredictable for me to put my money down based purely on what happened in the past….

That’s why I neither own a stock of tulip bulbs, nor have invested a great deal of cash in typewriter manufacturers.

Boom bust cycles are nice to find – people LOVE finding patterns. Sometimes it’s better to look at the information objectively however.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.