All Topics / Finance / Rentability

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Hi!
    Am thinking of buying my first IP; checked out my finance and everything is ok. We own our own home worth about 700K which we owe about 440K.

To start small, thinking of buying a unit in Sydney. The figures will work out well as will be positive cashflow Margaret Lomas approach. (hubby on the highest tax rate; taz is more than mortgage every month!!!)

All is dependent on 1 thing; rentability; everyone on this forum seems to assume their IP will be rented out easily.

2 questions:

1) Anyone out there (esp. Sydney) would like to share what is the longest period they could not rent their investment property out?

2) when researching an area, are there any hard statistics one can look for to see vacancy rate?

Thanks!

lee

Profile photo of wejons1wejons1
    @wejons1

Lee,

First of all I cant answer point one, do not own properties in sydney. Point two, I have been very lucky so far, out of three properties, the longest I have gone without a tenant was about three weeks, and that was on one that I bought recently.

The thing to look at is this, with me anyway: Can you service the debt on the IP if you do not have a tenant, make it a worse case scenario of three months. If the answer is No, then maybe you need to look at the figures again.

For me anyway, one “fear” of IP’s is the “what if no tenant”. I have tried not putting myself in so much debt that I cannot service it if I dont have tenants to help pay. Also I am happy to accept this “fear” and try and make my properties attractive to rent.

It all comes down to the due diligence, if you have done the work and bought the right property, then you should have no problems getting a tenant.

Hope this helps in some way.

wejons1

Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Thanks Wejon1 for your reply;

3 months vacancy rate is no problem for me as i am starting small; looking at 200-250 K apartment.

Would appreciate if you could define “due dligence”, i can get data re population,etc etc;
    but i can’t seem to locate the elusive vacancy/occupancy rate in a particular suburb???)
    Pray tell,

lee

Profile photo of wejons1wejons1
    @wejons1

For me anyway .. the vacancy rates list would only be a guide. Just because the average says one figure does not mean your property may match up.

I should say … I am still learning and what I say is only my thoughts.

My due diligence is along the lines of:
    what sort of property is it,
    what does it have to offer a tenant
    where is it located,
    what services (rail,bus,schools) are nearby,
    what sort of tenants am I looking for,
    what amount of rent am I hoping for,
    what else is available in the area,
    what sort of condition is the property in,
    have a look at RE’s in the area and see what is on the rent books (how many and what are they asking),

and I also look at it and say, would I want to rent it, being with a realistic view too.

Maybe that is bringing emotions into it a bit, but if I didnt want to rent it, why would someone else want to

Just some of things that I look at, others may look for other things, be interesting to see what though. May highlight things that I have not thought about.

wejons1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.