All Topics / General Property / Australian property investors descend on Tokoroa

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Well here it is, as I said earlier in the week on another forum, there is an absolute feeding frenzy going on in Tokoroa.

Article from the NZ Herald.

Australian property investors descend on Tokoroa

24.04.2004 – By ANNE BESTON
    The small Waikato town of Tokoroa is a big hit with the Aussies, who are snapping up cheap houses as investment properties.

Tokoroa real estate agents say inquiries from Australia suddenly took off about a year ago, although no one is sure why or how many have sold.

Liz Padman, a member of an economic development trust partially paid for by the South Waikato District Council, believed property investment seminars were behind the Aussie invasion.

“Someone over there is pushing investment and apparently suggesting Tokoroa and Taumarunui.”

One Melbourne woman turned up on her doorstep six to eight weeks ago after initially being prepared to buy a house over the phone. She ended up buying two during her visit.

“She went for a tour of the district and is now very probably going to come and live here,” she said.

Rumours that about 150 houses in Tokoroa now belonged to absentee Aussie landlords were probably not true. “I would be surprised if it was that high,” she said.

Wade Fergusson of Harvey’s Real Estate also suspected investment seminars were behind Tokoroa’s popularity.

“It started with people from Sydney and it’s moved to inquiries from people in Melbourne and Adelaide like a travelling investment roadshow.”

Pam Harrison of Century 21 had had two Australians in her office the morning the Herald rang. They bought three properties from $42,000 to $66,000 to rent for between $120 and $140 per week.

“They come over here because they can’t get into the Australian investment market,” she said.

“Prices in Australia are far higher than here.”

The New Zealand property market was less regulated than Australia’s, with investors not having to worry about the same property-related taxes this side of the Tasman.

“Basically, these guys are picking up Tokoroa from the net, most buyers we’ve had have been from Sydney.”

She estimated her firm had sold between 30 and 40 properties to Australian buyers in the past six months.

Carter Holt Harvey’s $350 million investment in the Kinleith Mill had helped stabilise the town, Liz Padman said.

INVESTMENT

* Population of Tokoroa 14,427, a change of -7.1 per cent since 1996.

* 4809 households.

* 67.3 per cent of dwellings were owned with or without a mortgage, compared with 67.8 per cent for all of New Zealand.

* Average weekly rent paid for permanent private dwellings $117, compared with $174 for New Zealand as a whole.

Source – 2001 Census.

Further to what was said I think it is the power of the various property forums and the large number of members that has pushed Tokoroa and Taumarunui, not investment seminars.

Regards

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi all,

A 7.1% drop in population figures between 1996 and 2001. At this rate CG is sure to be minimal and tenants are not going to be falling over themselves to get into your property.

I wonder how the population trend has been since – I would argue more research is required.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

To me this says, buy somewhere else ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan
    Originally posted by Derek:

Hi all,

A 7.1% drop in population figures between 1996 and 2001. At this rate CG is sure to be minimal and tenants are not going to be falling over themselves to get into your property.

I wonder how the population trend has been since – I would argue more research is required.

Derek
    [email protected]

I’m glad you cleared that one up Derek. I was wondering where you were coming from!

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Muppet,

Thanks for that very interesting artice…

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Aussies have bought 150 houses in the last few months in Tokoroa !!!

Regards,

Del [exhappy]

I’m off to NZ again, to search for more GREAT +ve cashflow deals.
    If you’re interested in hearing about any quality deals then PM me for details!! This is a genuine offer.

@derek

Hi Rugby,

T’was fortuate I reread my comments – and such a little word that was missed – but the meaning oh so significant.[dunce]

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Yep, Tokoroa has had a big interest from Aussies, having said that, why wouldn’t it? Positive cashflow. All of the big amenities in town: Warehouse, maccas, a tertiary campus. lot’s of schools, great weather, and homeownership and employment figures the average of NZ (in other words not high unemployment, or unstable population) As to population decline – Invercargill shows the same, yet the town is vibrant and happening – NZ also showed negative population growth for last quarter – will you quit NZ??? I think that provided you buy a tidy sound house that meets the majority of the market you will do well – don’t buy the scanky feral house in the bottom of the available pool for sale – that’s what will get people into trouble.

Enjoy investing!!
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

@derek

Hi CD,

The issue is that more research is required which is what I said in my first post.

If that population trend continues then buying ‘locals’ and tenants will become fewer in number.

So we now see the market move into buyers and tenants market with more people selling than buying (=prices stagnant or deflating) and/or more properties for rent than tenants (=rents stagnant or dropping).

Sure some of the decrease could be offset by changing household demographics whereby the number of households (as distinct from the number of people) could remain the same.

It all gets back to the need for extensive research and not simply responding to an article printed in a newspaper (or a post on a forum or something someone tells you) and becoming part of the ‘herd’ that creates an unsustainable market.

Derek
    [email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.